Thread: 1st, 2nd, 5th and 7th Overall Picks in this years draft - Who should I take?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 1st, 2nd, 5th and 7th Overall Picks in this years draft - Who should I take?

So this year I traded a lot of my core keepers for prospects / picks to start a rebuild. We just had our draft lottery and I ended up with the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 7th overall picks in this years draft. During the draft I have to activate Nyquist, Coyle, Yakupov and Lehner who will all be taking over keeper spots at the end of next year. In 2015 I have 3 first round picks and have to activate Barkov, Baertschi, Ceci, and Scheifele. Since we can only keep 14 roster players, and after 2015 I will have a ton of young blue chippers activated that I will want to use keeper spots on, I am looking to draft players that are a little riskier, or will take longer to get their opportunity in the NHL, but have a bit higher of a ceiling.

Right now I am pretty sure I will select Bennett with my 1st pick but I would appreciate the Community's thoughts on who they would target/rank as their top 7 if they had my team (see team and league detail in my signature). I should also mention that undrafted prospects from prior year that are available include guys like Lazar, Poirier, Theodore, Samuelsson, Gaudreau, and Petan.

Thanks in advance.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: 1st, 2nd, 5th and 7th Overall Picks in this years draft - Who should I take?

Out of curiosity why not try and consolidate some of those picks and assets for upgrades with other teams?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: 1st, 2nd, 5th and 7th Overall Picks in this years draft - Who should I take?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsy00 View Post
    Out of curiosity why not try and consolidate some of those picks and assets for upgrades with other teams?

Great Question. The GM's in my league tend to ask for a huge premium for proven players / highly regarded prospects that are in their early 20's, which is who I am targeting, and since this years draft isn't very highly regarded I don't think I would get the value out of the 1st rounders for 2014 that I would normally get (and don't want to move my 2015 potential McDavid / Eichel picks). Instead of moving a bunch of picks and prospects for a couple keepers that would help me next year I would rather draft some young guys with upside that may have more value in a couple years when I am closer to competing and really have to make some tough keeper decisions (likely in 3 to 4 years when I start activating the prospects that I draft in 2014 and 2015).
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Ace

My top 7 would be

BENNETT
    EKBLAD
    REINHART
    DRAISAITL
    GAUDREAU
    EHLERS
    DAL COLLE
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Deity

If I was drafting for my keeper today, with the info you gave (not know all the available from last years draft), I would rank them:

Reinhart
    Lazar
    Bennett
    Draisaitl
    Nylander
    Dal Colle
    Ekblad
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I am in a similar position with a young team, but without as many draft picks. I am leaning towards taking Reinhart if I get the first overall in the draft lottery, but am considering Ekblad if I have to pick later in the draft. I am required, of course, to count defence men in my pool, and I think Ekblad will be an exceptional blueliner.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Reinhart
    Bennett
    Lazar
    Draisaitl
    Gaudreau
    Nylander
    Dal Colle
    Ekblad

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I really appreciate the feedback and one name that jumps out at me that I wasn't really considering was Lazar. I haven't had a chance to see him play but considered him more of a great all round player than a top fantasy prospect and would be interested to know why he is so highly touted and what current NHL player would be most comparable in terms of his potential.

Dobber Sports Giant

My top7:

Bennett
    Reinhart
    Draisaitl
    Nylander
    Ekblad
    Ehlers
    Dal Colle
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    I really appreciate the feedback and one name that jumps out at me that I wasn't really considering was Lazar. I haven't had a chance to see him play but considered him more of a great all round player than a top fantasy prospect and would be interested to know why he is so highly touted and what current NHL player would be most comparable in terms of his potential.
    I feel like he could top out as a 60+ Top6 two-way Center who can play in all situations. In the prospects report he was described as "a smaller, more assertive Tomas Plekanec."
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I feel like he could top out as a 60+ Top6 two-way Center who can play in all situations. In the prospects report he was described as "a smaller, more assertive Tomas Plekanec."
    Oh god, who the hell wrote that? Just a terrible comparison.