Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dan Boyle's rights traded to NYI

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Dan Boyle's rights traded to NYI

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    The Islanders are the best in the league at trading away picks for guys who don't sign with them, absolutely stellar
    Well , Halak signed so lets get our facts straight .

snow is an idiot for thinking Boyle would wanna finish career as an islander with Wang and the mickey mouse managment team / coaching staff .

apparently the team is technically sold and will be announced after the finals -maybe boyle is introduced to the new owner and he likes what he hears ?

otherwise , swing and a miss by the mickey mouse islanders .

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Well , Halak signed so lets get our facts straight .

snow is an idiot for thinking Boyle would wanna finish career as an islander with Wang and the mickey mouse managment team / coaching staff .

apparently the team is technically sold and will be announced after the finals -maybe boyle is introduced to the new owner and he likes what he hears ?

otherwise , swing and a miss by the mickey mouse islanders .
    i disagree. they gave up a 5th to land him, and will most likely be able to get a 5th back. sure it might be a lower 5th, but at that round it's hit or miss anyways.

so they don't really lose anything. what do they gain?

they show their fans they are committed to trying to win

they take a shot at landing boyle, which isn't that farfetched considering they got two guys who seemed they would never play their to re-sign (visnovsky and nabokov).

sometimes these things work, sometimes they don't. i don't see it as a foolish move at all.

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Snow's thoughts here on trying to make his club better. A 5th round pick is squat today and a crap shoot at best. Chances are he will flip Boyles rights and get a similar pick in return. It was a gamble thats worth taking in my opinion, and I rarely have something good to say about Garth Snow.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    O-Town bound
    I think it said he wants to play for a contender though...........

Banned

Right, uh huh, nothing but garbage in the 5th round, might as well throw the pick away

5th: Mike Smith, Bieksa, Wisniewski, Stempniak, Versteeg, Grabovski, Gerbe, Benn, Muzzin, Tokarski, Gallagher
    6th: Zidlicky, Clowe, Laich, J. Jokinen, Ramo, MacDonald, Perreault, Hagelin, Atkinson,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like Snow's thoughts here on trying to make his club better. A 5th round pick is squat today and a crap shoot at best. Chances are he will flip Boyles rights and get a similar pick in return. It was a gamble thats worth taking in my opinion, and I rarely have something good to say about Garth Snow.
    Agreed, I mean sure there is the chance of lucking into a solid player with a fifth rounder - but the rationale and the attempt are well worth it here. cheers.

Dobber Sports Deity

Right, uh huh, nothing but garbage in the 5th round, might as well throw the pick away

5th: Mike Smith, Bieksa, Wisniewski, Stempniak, Versteeg, Grabovski, Gerbe, Benn, Muzzin, Tokarski, Gallagher
    6th: Zidlicky, Clowe, Laich, J. Jokinen, Ramo, MacDonald, Perreault, Hagelin, Atkinson,
    Sure, its easy to find SOME that made it, but start listing the ones over the years that didn't. That list is a hellova lot larger then yours.

All I am saying is 5th round picks are a major crap shoot. If anyone knew what they were getting in those pics in the 5th round, they wouldn't have made it to the 5th round.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Sure, its easy to find SOME that made it, but start listing the ones over the years that didn't. That list is a hellova lot larger then yours.

All I am saying is 5th round picks are a major crap shoot. If anyone knew what they were getting in those pics in the 5th round, they wouldn't have made it to the 5th round.
    You're completely missing the point. Why throw away ANY pick needlessly? How the hell do you build a team from the draft when you keep pissing away your picks just to 'talk' to guys who don't want to sign with you anyway? There's dozens of semi-legal ways to feel a player out and get some kind of idea if he might be interested in your team without having to throw the pick away. Crap shoot or not, even the most unlucky gambler still hits it on occasion

Dobber Sports Deity

You're completely missing the point. Why throw away ANY pick needlessly? How the hell do you build a team from the draft when you keep pissing away your picks just to 'talk' to guys who don't want to sign with you anyway? There's dozens of semi-legal ways to feel a player out and get some kind of idea if he might be interested in your team without having to throw the pick away. Crap shoot or not, even the most unlucky gambler still hits it on occasion
    You do it for the exact same reason they managed to snag Halak. Why not take the change to sign him before he hits the market. Sure, trading a pick away to "talk" to a guy is a gamble, but is it really any more of a gamble then drafting a kid in the 5th round? So many 1st round picks dont make the show, and that number goes up incrementally with each passing round. Of course some will beat the odds, but the chances of that happening are so limited.

I know what you are saying mcgoo and I hear ya. I just don't think it was that bad of a gamble, especially considering he stepped up once and managed to make contact. Why not take another stab at another upcoming UFA if you think it will help your team today.

Banned

You do it for the exact same reason they managed to snag Halak. Why not take the change to sign him before he hits the market. Sure, trading a pick away to "talk" to a guy is a gamble, but is it really any more of a gamble then drafting a kid in the 5th round? So many 1st round picks dont make the show, and that number goes up incrementally with each passing round. Of course some will beat the odds, but the chances of that happening are so limited.

I know what you are saying mcgoo and I hear ya. I just don't think it was that bad of a gamble, especially considering he stepped up once and managed to make contact. Why not take another stab at another upcoming UFA if you think it will help your team today.
    Funny that you mention Halak...9th round pick by Montreal in 2003!
    I'm not saying it's a bad idea to gamble a later round pick on being able to land a good player, but at least go into that situation with the odds slanted in your favor so you're confident you've got a good chance of signing him.

PS: also 9th round that year? Brian Elliot and Matt Moulson!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post

so they don't really lose anything. what do they gain?
    they show their fans they are committed to trying to win
    been an islander fan since the 1970's and I dont need this incarnation of owner/ managment making fools of themselves anymore than they already have .

like I said earlier ,the team is apparently sold and for some reason cannot be announced til finals are over-maybe the new owner is revealed to Boyle and he likes the plan he has for the isles and buys in to sign .

Dobber Sports Stud

Pierre LeBrun says the Toronto Maple Leafs are high on Dan Boyle’s list of possible destinations. He’s expected to inform the NY Islanders this week if he intends to negotiate a contract with them. Boyle is eligible for UFA status this summer. It’s believed he’ll want a two-year deal, and LeBrun speculates the money might be more than the Leafs are willing to pay.

Of course TO is high on his list...he saw what they gave Clarkson.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Pierre LeBrun says the Toronto Maple Leafs are high on Dan Boyle’s list of possible destinations. He’s expected to inform the NY Islanders this week if he intends to negotiate a contract with them. Boyle is eligible for UFA status this summer. It’s believed he’ll want a two-year deal, and LeBrun speculates the money might be more than the Leafs are willing to pay.

Of course TO is high on his list...he saw what they gave Clarkson.
    dan boyle wants to play for a contender
    dan boyle wants to play for TO
    TO is a contender

man...i wish it was as simple as that lol. i dont understand why he'd want to play for TO. leafs arent winning the cup anytime soon...only thing i can think of is it's close to his hometown...but then why wouldnt he play for the sens instead?

thornton + for kadri + phaneuf
    sign boyle
    thornton and boyle re-united

i give up, too much hope, realistically leafs will get no one and get to enjoy several more years of clarkson and phaneuf.

Banned

he would pick Ottawa over Toronto if Ottawa offers

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    he would pick Ottawa over Toronto if Ottawa offers
    gheezus dude , homer much ?