Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: asoIaF/Game of Thrones Book Discussion: (Spoilers/Theories Welcome)

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: asoIaF/Game of Thrones Book Discussion: (Spoilers/Theories Welcome)

Wow Pengwin, I had a great time reading that.

I read the first two books years ago, you're making me want to start them up again.

Only thing I have against you're theory about Aegon VI, is that when Tyrion Lannister meets him. They start playing chess (forgot the name of their board game), and Tyrion started having doubt that Aegon was a Targaryen then when Tyrion beats him, Aegon gets ultra-pissed and Tyrion had a thought that looked like : "He really his a Targaryen after all".
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Expert

I'll add that I really think that the final fight is not going to be White Walkers vs Dragons. I think it's going to be a tremendous fight and that Drogon (the biggest dragon) is going to be tamed by Bran Stark is will control him and stop the fight.

I have this feeling ever since they went on the warg path with him that he will be controlling a dragon one day.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Are TV Spoilers allowed? I'm in the middle of season 7........

Dobber Sports Expert

http://comeonhitme.wordpress.com/201...d-her-dragons/

This thread had me googling some stuff. Came up upon this. Quite interesting. Love the Ice Dragon part.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Book 3 is considered the best by most because of the context and where the story goes.

Just because he intended the story to be 3 books means nothing. Look at the WoT by Robert Jordan. Intended to be a trilogy. Ended up being 14 huge books.

I think we'll learn more about the Targaryens later on and I think the characters from the early books to really focus on are that of Varys/Illirio (some think they are the same person).
    I loved his quote recently about the length of the series. He's firm on 7 books until he's not, and basically saying "well I intend for it be 7 books, but I intended that to be 3 books".

I like that he's not willing to truncate the story, and is wanting to make sure that the ending doesn't have a LOST type feeling to it.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

I love his "it'll be done when it's done" philosophy but my only concern is his age and health. It takes years and years to finish each book and he's already said that he will never give permission for another writer to finish the series if he dies (not that I'd want someone else writing it anyway), but it would be absolutely tragic if this epic story doesn't get the conclusion and closure it deserves.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    As a "TV Viewer", I must say - there is simply NO WAY that the "TV Viewers" of GoT have any idea towards the grand depth of this story, it's characters - and the amount of layers to the general themes of the show.
    In other words - to the TV folk - my gosh you have no idea how deep, deep, deep this story goes.
    I've always eaten up stories that have a complex backstory. It's why I loved Lord of the Rings (complex history to it), why I've immersed myself in the (now non-canon) Star Wars expanded universe, and why I made teh same transition you did.

The history, and depth that the books give are incredible. It amazes me how detailed he is. I can't imagine how he keeps track of everything. I'd bet heavily that this may be a big reason writing has taken longer and longer the more he's gone on.

The last few days I've been taking a peak around the ASOIAF website.
    I tracked the Targaryen lineage ALL-THE-WAY back... reading up on every. single. member. of the house.
    Believe it or not, I find this (review of family lineage/history) incredibly valuable to predicting the direction of the show and creating theories.
    There is a fantastic reddit hub of threads dedicated to giving more backstory to TV viewers who want to go more in depth. I've often read it, even having read the books, and I'd recommend it to others.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrone...or_all_topics/

The biggest portion is the Targaryen lineage but there's some fantastic other bits too.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I love his "it'll be done when it's done" philosophy but my only concern is his age and health. It takes years and years to finish each book and he's already said that he will never give permission for another writer to finish the series if he dies (not that I'd want someone else writing it anyway), but it would be absolutely tragic if this epic story doesn't get the conclusion and closure it deserves.
    It would be a shame if he doesn't give another writer permission to finish it. But at the same time it wouldn't ruin the legacy of the series. It would still be really disappointing to see it happen. I believe it's happened before with a writer in a similar situation...

In any case, I do think he has told the writers/executive producers of GoT what the ending will entail. So there should be some closure.

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    The history, and depth that the books give are incredible. It amazes me how detailed he is. I can't imagine how he keeps track of everything. I'd bet heavily that this may be a big reason writing has taken longer and longer the more he's gone on.
    Oh, you've nailed it here.
    He has stories for everybody & everything in the books - and they interweave so carefully.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a ton of stuff on secondary and tertiary characters like:
    *Elia Martell
    *Willem Darry
    *Ashara Dayne
    *Brandon Stark (Eddard's brother)

I believe even these characters play signficant roles into the story direction.
    The depth of characters/stories/timelines/relationships... heck... EYE COLOR... is important.

Discussion Item for the Day:
    Tyrion's Eyes.

Thoughts?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I've always eaten up stories that have a complex backstory. It's why I loved Lord of the Rings (complex history to it), why I've immersed myself in the (now non-canon) Star Wars expanded universe, and why I made teh same transition you did.
    I've just started the Han Solo books, Book 101, in my chronological order quest. You'd love the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

This is a great thread and you guys really know your shit, holy crap. I've read all the books, but have forgotten half of what you're writing as second nature. And your threories go so deep, geez...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Oh, you've nailed it here.
    He has stories for everybody & everything in the books - and they interweave so carefully.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out a ton of stuff on secondary and tertiary characters like:
    *Elia Martell
    *Willem Darry
    *Ashara Dayne
    *Brandon Stark (Eddard's brother)

I believe even these characters play signficant roles into the story direction.
    The depth of characters/stories/timelines/relationships... heck... EYE COLOR... is important.
    It's simply incredible. I love how everything weaves into place. I'm only on book 3 and the level of detail is just enormous. It's such a treat when you get a new piece of history or the story.

Like you said, the show while awesome, will never get anywhere near the awesomness of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I've just started the Han Solo books, Book 101, in my chronological order quest. You'd love the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
    I don't totally remember what happens in those, but I think that trilogy was decent.

And I will definitely check that series out! From a brief wiki look, I definitely think you're right, I will love it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is a great thread and you guys really know your shit, holy crap. I've read all the books, but have forgotten half of what you're writing as second nature. And your threories go so deep, geez...
    I know eh? It's intense. I feel like I've missed stuff reading it haha. And I'm only in book three...

G - Murray, Grubauer

The Great One

Yeah, I've read the full series too...but I'm not really interested in the story at that deep a level...

Nor do I really want to be in a position where I read one page in the book, and they have to read 10 hours of internet stuff to get all the backdrop.

But I certainly appreciate how in to this stuff people get; anything that encourages reading is a great thing in my book

Dobber Sports Wizard

I've started reading the books in reverse order, just because. Finished ADWD last week, about 300 pages into AFFC right now. It's been pretty interesting so far....knowing where things end up, and then going back to see how they got there you end up noticing some things you didn't in the first place.

I don't like to get tooooo super deep into my theories, as I realize 99% of them will be wrong anyway. But I do think some of these background characters from the past (like Peng mentioned in his post above) will have a part in the series. Between the wights, the red priests, and the Greyjoy's "what is dead may never die" I think GRRM is trying to tell us something here. The past will affect the present immensely I feel in some way. A lot of those characters are just dead people, but I can't shake the feeling that some are mentioned so often for a reason they can't simply be lore fodder.

The enormity of the story's lore is I think what turned me on to it so much in the first place. Hell my favorite thing to do in the Elder Scrolls games is to collect and read books, or wander the countryside to find hidden ruins and then read a book to find out what they used to be. So a story like ASOIAF, with SO much backstory and history is right up my alley.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    SPOILER ALERT - don't read if you haven't read ALL the books and don't want to be spoiled.

I was wrong with every prediction I came up with while reading the book (which is why I freaking LOVE this series - so unpredictable), so this very likely won't pan out:

I think the end game will be Daenerys/Prince Aegon uniting Westeros to battle against the Others who will overrun the Night's Watch now that Snow is dead.

How awesome would that be for a grand finale to the series!?!?
    is jon snow dead though? if theres one thing ive learned, whenever theres a red preist around death is not certain.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Immortal

No way that Jon Snow is dead. I refuse to believe it. The prologue chapter with Varamyr as well as Melisandre witnessing other revivals sets it up perfectly for it.