Thread: A look at the Toronto Maple Leafs

I...am your father.

Default A look at the Toronto Maple Leafs

Originally posted at The Hockey News

Toronto Maple Leafs
    Pending UFAs – Dave Bolland, Nikolai Kulemin, Jay McClement, Mason Raymond, Troy Bodie, Paul Ranger, T.J. Brennan, Drew MacIntyre
    Pending RFAs - Peter Holland, Jerry D’Amigo, Spencer Abbott, James Reimer, Carter Ashton

Looking to add – The Leafs need size up the middle and more physicality on defense. Many Leafs fans (or non-fans, for that matter) will opine that the team also needs a No. 1 center, but really – most teams need that. If Toronto were to target Brian Boyle to replace McClement, they would have a 6-foot-7 centerman coming off a Stanley Cup final appearance. Nothing against McClement, who has been great, but with Boyle having similar success at the faceoff dot (52.9 percent) the upgrade in size would be worthwhile. Boyle only offers fantasy value in hits and faceoff wins, but unless Toronto makes a trade, you probably won’t see an impact fantasy player coming aboard.

Brooks Orpik is another player who could be targeted, as he offers bone-crushing hits and a “scare factor” on the blueline that the team currently lacks.

Granted, the Leafs could (and should) take a good hard look at skilled pivot Paul Stastny. A move like that would drop Tyler Bozak to the third line where he would offer tremendous two-way play and 40-point offense. But most teams will be targeting Stastny, who is the top center available. The cost will probably shock us. Would Toronto pay it? Adding Stastny would either necessitate trading Nazem Kadri, or it would keep Peter Holland out of the NHL (which would be a shame).

Ready for full time – Holland was ready for the NHL last year, but the numbers game pushed him back to the Toronto Marlies. He’s capable of running a third line and posting 35 points in the season ahead – more if the centermen ahead of him are injured and he gets long looks on a scoring line. What the Leafs do this off-season will impact Holland greatly, as he could end up anywhere between third-line center and press-box water boy.

Carter Ashton has finally found that extra gear offensively in the AHL, posting nearly a point per game for the Marlies. But in the NHL, his niche will be on the checking line and if he can stick around full time he has a real shot at 150-plus hits in the coming season.

Jerry D’Amigo showed a lot of energy during cups of coffee with the Leafs, but his decision-making and finish left something to be desired. But in the Calder Cup playoffs he has really shone, posting 14 points in 13 games. Still, his NHL future lies on the third line and his offense will probably never reach 40 points.

If you like long shots, Spencer Abbott is 26 years old and undersized at 5-foot-9. But he’s one of the best offensive players the AHL has to offer. However, he doesn’t get his nose dirty, doesn’t fight for pucks as much as he needs to in order to make it to the NHL and he creates his offense from the outside. The “long shot” I mentioned above would require both Bozak and Kadri to get injured and Abbott to then have a Mark Arcobello-type of impact when he gets the call. Possible, but highly doubtful.

Fantasy Outlook – Say what you want about the Leafs, goal scoring is not a problem with this team. They finished 14th in the league in goals in 2013-14 and that was considered an off-year for many of their players (the team finished sixth in goal scoring in 2012-13). From an offensive standpoint, when it comes to the prospects, there are really only three worth keeping an eye on – Holland, Matt Finn and Connor Brown, with the latter two being several years away. Fantasy Grade: C+ (last year was B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: A look at the Toronto Maple Leafs

Bring back Reimer!

How long until praba jumps in on this thread.............tick tock.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Bring back Reimer!

How long until praba jumps in on this thread.............tick tock.

i'm pretty fed up with the leafs at this point. i'll wait till i see their offseason moves before i decide to abandon ship haha.

Banned

But most teams will be targeting Stastny, who is the top center available. The cost will probably shock us. Would Toronto pay it?
    Would they? I think the answer to that is pretty clear, the question you should be asking is 'how much do they overpay and for what term'?

If Clarkson and Lupul are worth $5.25 and Bozak is worth $4.2 then they'll make him the highest paid player on the team without batting an eyelash.
    Will it be worth it? Probably not, but if they can keep it to a reasonable term and front-load it somewhat he definitely makes them a much more competitive team

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i'm pretty fed up with the leafs at this point. i'll wait till i see their offseason moves before i decide to abandon ship haha.
    Leafs fans don't abandon ship. They just keep dipping their oars in the poop and carry on, grumbling along the way. LOL!!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Reimer will sadly be gone I bet. I’m a big Reimer fan, but he wasn’t being used well by Carlyle and he clearly doesn’t like 1A 1B systems. Reimer for the cap hit (cause he’ll want a lot to stay as a backup under a guy he doesn’t like {Carlyle}) isn’t worth it.

Bolland needs to stop asking for 4mill. We have Bozak (#1), Kadri (#2), McClemant (#3/4), and Holland. Unless Kadri is traded, Bolland is not worth the cap hit on a team that doesn’t have a lot of spare room. There’s also Gauthier too in the minors

Franson, Gardiner, Ranger, Gleason, Reilly, Gunnerson. Pick 4, and pretty much Gleason has to be one (based on Cap hit and length of contract, he won’t be traded). I would like to see Dion - _____ , Gardiner – Reilly, Gleason – Percy/Brennan. The player with Dion would be a new player coming in. For 3.4ish mill gunnerson is too much, Franson will be asking a lot and he can’t play with Dion well at all.

Young Guns that need to be given a chance:
    -Percy
    -Brennan
    -D’amigo
    -Holland
    -Leivo
    -Ashton (as a 4th liner)
    -Sparks/Gibons as the backup for Bernier
    -Gauthier (maybe as a winger first)

For the goalies tho, leafs just signed a draft pick (some QJML) goalie, so he’ll be poised to play for the Marlies. MacIntrye may be out, based on age. So Starks or Gibson could be the backup. But their youth is a big deterrent. I’m thinking a FA for the backup role.

JVR Bozak Kessel
    Raymond Kadri Lupul
    Clarkson McClement D'amigo/Leivo
    Orr Holland Gauthier
    Dion New
    Gardiner Reilly
    Gleason Percy/Brennan
    Bernier
    Starks/Gibson
    Gibson/Starks
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

So much wrong with ^this post

Dobber Sports Titan

Also the leafs media made this rumour up. Dion, Kadri, and their 8th overall to Florida for Ed Jovanovski and their 1st overall. This would allow Leafs to draft Ekblad, free up cap, sign Bolland for the 2nd line, and keep Franson more likely. If they can’t get to the 1st overall, they’d be looking at Morrisey, who was approached by someone in the leafs organization recently. Personally, I don’t like the trade. I know Dion gets blasted by a lot of people, but I don’t mind him. There isn’t really anyone out there at this point in time that can replace him. But if he’s traded it COULD set the future up pretty well. The D core for the future would be Ekblad, Reilly, Gardiner, and Matt Finn. Also, it sets them up for a long, long, LONG yr. So chances of a 1st overall next yr would rise (McDavid draft)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Also the leafs media made this rumour up. Dion, Kadri, and their 8th overall to Florida for Ed Jovanovski and their 1st overall. This would allow Leafs to draft Ekblad, free up cap, sign Bolland for the 2nd line, and keep Franson more likely. If they can’t get to the 1st overall, they’d be looking at Morrisey, who was approached by someone in the leafs organization recently. Personally, I don’t like the trade. I know Dion gets blasted by a lot of people, but I don’t mind him. There isn’t really anyone out there at this point in time that can replace him. But if he’s traded it COULD set the future up pretty well. The D core for the future would be Ekblad, Reilly, Gardiner, and Matt Finn. Also, it sets them up for a long, long, LONG yr. So chances of a 1st overall next yr would rise (McDavid draft)
    they would never let the leafs win the mcdavid lottery. it makes no sense on a business level to give the most profitable team more help...it will be buffalo who lands him most likely.

i really wish they wouldn't do the lottery behind closed doors...what benefit do they have besides rigging it?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    they would never let the leafs win the mcdavid lottery. it makes no sense on a business level to give the most profitable team more help...it will be buffalo who lands him most likely.

i really wish they wouldn't do the lottery behind closed doors...what benefit do they have besides rigging it?
    I’m not saying they’d have a lock for last place, but they’d have a higher chance because they could finish lower next yr. I would quite say the NHL has rigged the lottery recently, you don’t quite see the big jumps in spots like the NBA had this yr (didn’t Cleveland win it, and omg isn’t there a high chance Lebron goes back! The 3 big Canadians on one team too). But I really do wish they had it in the open, to show they aren’t hiding anything.

I...am your father.

Like the Blue Jays this past offseason, the doom and gloom for the Leafs is unsubstantiated. If the Leafs do absolutely nothing, or just one move (as the Jays did with only signing a catcher), they will still contend for the playoffs. They needed some players to get more experience, and they needed some guys to be healthy from the start. Just like the Jays. It makes a big difference. A clean slate for Clarkson is all the difference. Gardiner and Rielly, with a year of experience, are twice the players. A healthier Bernier, etc, plus one or two moves to add some size, you'll be surprised. Zero shot at 30th or even 25th. They'll finish 13th to 18th

Another intangible is Carlyle's extension. I don't agree with it, but it makes a statement - the players now know that they can't tune him out. He's going nowhere.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Sorry Dobber, I disagree with alot of this. I hope your optimism is proven correct, I really do.
    On the bright side - I had every single responder disagree with me on the Blue Jays too. I don't mind.

dmen regress after a year, generally if they are in their 20s as a rookie. The teenaged dmen don't regress as often.

Team is flawed, I agree. But as long as they're not as flawed as 14 other NHL teams they'll be fine (and they're not as flawed as 14 other teams).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    On the bright side - I had every single responder disagree with me on the Blue Jays too. I don't mind.

dmen regress after a year, generally if they are in their 20s as a rookie. The teenaged dmen don't regress as often.

Team is flawed, I agree. But as long as they're not as flawed as 14 other NHL teams they'll be fine (and they're not as flawed as 14 other teams).
    I agree with Dobber.... which might be a bad thing apparently....