Thread: Trade Offer for Markström

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trade Offer for Markström

Hello, i am new here and i need help deciding on an offer i received.

it is a 16 team full keeper league where goalies are valued at a premium. I am offered Tomas Tatar and a 2014 first round draft pick, most likely between 12th and 16th overall for Jakob Markström.
    I would love some thoughts on this offer, as well as on Tatars upside.

Thank you very much to everyone who helps me out on this

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Trade Offer for Markström

Welcome to the Forums!

League settings always determine a player's value.
    For example, if this is a "Count 1 goalie" league, that Markstrom has very little value.
    But in the standard "Count 2 goalie" leagues, he'll certainly have solid value, as there would be 16x2G needed = 32G... and only 30 NHL #1 goalie to spread around.

Value also depends on league type & scoring.
    In "points only" pools, a forward & goalie could both just contribute towards the team total.

If this is standard H2H league, then you need to have a goalie just to slot into that G roster slot to get you some stats.

Assuming it is H2H, where teams start 2G, I think Tatar + 12th-16th pick is too low of an offer to get Markstrom.
    I think you'd have to offer much more.

In many 16-team leagues, I'd guess that you'd need to pay about a 3rd or 4th overall entry draft pick in most drafts... perhaps the 2nd overall pick in this draft.
    That would probably be Markstrom's worth.

As for Tatar's upside, I see him as a solid winger.
    Mostly scoring in the 50pt range, with a year or two where he'll be in the 60pt range.

Kind of reminds me of Jiri Hudler.
    Which also means... if he ended up on a team starved for talent, he might be considered a 60pt player.

But on the Wings, I see him around 50-55pts over the next 2-3 years.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

thx pengwin7

our league has 2 active goalie spots and one reserve spot for goalies, so a team can own 3 goalies - start 2 every day. the thing i am worried about is that Vancouver signs a veteran this offseason. That would mean they probably send him to the AHL and his confidence gets another hit. I am not sure anymore that he will ever make it at the NHL level - am i being wrong here?

our league has minor spots so i could slot him there for a year or 2, but i am afraid his value will be lessend if he does not get a shot at playing time

The Great One

Out of interest who are your other goalies?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Mason and Miller

The Great One

would definitely make that move as you have a bonafide starter in mason and though I loved MArkstrom in the AHL he couldn't beat out Clemensen in FLA! And I won't be surprised if Benning bring someone else in

Dobber Sports Titan

Personally I’d be taking anything for him. Goalies sound like a premium in your league, but the amount of goalies that went from unknown/unowned in 2012-13 to owned in 2013-14 was a bit insane. However somehow, Markstrom still didn’t have a fantasy value. Martin Jones in a week went from unknown to 55 or 60% owned. Tim Thomas beat him out this yr, Clemmenson beat him out once, Theadore did too. He won’t be fantasy valuable until he becomes a backup in a defensive team, just like The Monster in Detroit.

I’ve drafted him 3 times now in a limited keeper league (like 13th round out of 16) just as a flier, and I always get rid of him. I know the ride to becoming a starting goalie is rough, but Markstrom is so far away it’s insane.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would want to know how many skaters you start before I consider moving Markstrom. This league essentially has 3 goalie slots with 16 teams. That's 48 goalies rostered, not to mention those in the minors. You can't just go trading away a goalie because you're tired of their progress here, you need to make damn sure you get a good return based on how scarce they are here.

You need to make sure you get a good return, and Tatar and a 1st in 2014 doesn't sound that appealing. How much better is Tatar then your worst forward? How much better is he then the next waiver wire option? Where is the 1st round draft pick slated?

Don't move too quickly here until we really understand the situation.