Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Howard Berger's interesting Leafs/Panthers trade rumor

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Howard Berger's interesting Leafs/Panthers trade rumor

This actually does make sense, it depends who the Leafs could sign with that freed up cap space and how ready the first overall is to step in. I don't mind it for both sides, but doubt it happens.

The Great One

Good point. With all that cap space, the Leafs could go out and get another David Clarkson...

I just don't see how Phaneuf + Kardi + 8th = 1st overall, given that Toronto has been already been rebuilding for about 20 years.

Dobber Sports Pro

This rumor makes zero sense to me. I like to smite FLA Panthers quite a bit but...I doubt they are this dumb. Nevermind...they probably are and would throw in Gudbranson and Bjugstad.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Don't think this rumoured trade would make sense from FLA's perspective. Firstly, Phaneuf's contract is a really bad one. The Leafs can trade him at least, but in comparison to other top-paid defencemen in the league, Phaneuf's cap hit doesn't add up to anything but an overpayment. Beginning next season, his cap hit will be identical to Drew Doughty's. Think about that for a minute.

Secondly, from what I've gathered in the past, Panthers ownership isn't terribly inclined to max out their payroll, nor has this been the case for some time. The Panthers would be taking on over $10M for next season in salary dollars and then would have to re-sign or trade Kadri the year after, unless ownership would be ok losing him after one year of play. I highly doubt ownership would accept this.

Thirdly, if you compare Phaneuf at his current ability and the field of prospects available at this year's draft, I don't think Phaneuf beats out Ekblad in terms of value. Phaneuf could very well have peaked in his performance as a player, while some have projected Ekblad to be a future top-pairing defender. That's assuming the Panthers even take Ekbland. They could take Bennett or Reinhart instead, or probably even get a better return than Phaneuf and Kadri for the first-overall pick.

For the Leafs, a deal like this would be Christmas morning x 1,000,000. They get a brutal contract off their books and whoever they want first on draft day. I'm not a fly on the wall in the Leafs' dressing room, but Kadri doesn't seem to be the most mature player on the roster. From the brief exchange I saw on the 24/7 series, no, Kadri and Carlyle don't seem to have a great relationship. If I remember correctly, Kadri also had pretty high expectations for a contract extension as well. Do the Panthers want to acquire a player with a questionable attitude...?

This sounds like a lotta wishful thinking from Mr. Berger. The Panthers will need contracts in order to get them to the floor next season, but I don't see why they'd acquire Phaneuf and Kadri when there are better options out there via trade or free agency. This draft has been described as "mediocre" by many, but the first-overall pick is still very valuable. It's worth a lot more than an overpaid top-four defenceman and a second-line forward signed for only one more season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    Don't think this rumoured trade would make sense from FLA's perspective. Firstly, Phaneuf's contract is a really bad one. The Leafs can trade him at least, but in comparison to other top-paid defencemen in the league, Phaneuf's cap hit doesn't add up to anything but an overpayment. Beginning next season, his cap hit will be identical to Drew Doughty's. Think about that for a minute.

Secondly, from what I've gathered in the past, Panthers ownership isn't terribly inclined to max out their payroll, nor has this been the case for some time. The Panthers would be taking on over $10M for next season in salary dollars and then would have to re-sign or trade Kadri the year after, unless ownership would be ok losing him after one year of play. I highly doubt ownership would accept this.

Thirdly, if you compare Phaneuf at his current ability and the field of prospects available at this year's draft, I don't think Phaneuf beats out Ekblad in terms of value. Phaneuf could very well have peaked in his performance as a player, while some have projected Ekblad to be a future top-pairing defender. That's assuming the Panthers even take Ekbland. They could take Bennett or Reinhart instead, or probably even get a better return than Phaneuf and Kadri for the first-overall pick.

For the Leafs, a deal like this would be Christmas morning x 1,000,000. They get a brutal contract off their books and whoever they want first on draft day. I'm not a fly on the wall in the Leafs' dressing room, but Kadri doesn't seem to be the most mature player on the roster. From the brief exchange I saw on the 24/7 series, no, Kadri and Carlyle don't seem to have a great relationship. If I remember correctly, Kadri also had pretty high expectations for a contract extension as well. Do the Panthers want to acquire a player with a questionable attitude...?

This sounds like a lotta wishful thinking from Mr. Berger. The Panthers will need contracts in order to get them to the floor next season, but I don't see why they'd acquire Phaneuf and Kadri when there are better options out there via trade or free agency. This draft has been described as "mediocre" by many, but the first-overall pick is still very valuable. It's worth a lot more than an overpaid top-four defenceman and a second-line forward signed for only one more season.
    Great post, +1.

The term left on Kadri's contract makes this deal make no sense.

Banned

No offense gents but this strikes me as 'wishful thinking' than it does anything else.

"Makes sense for both teams"? No it doesn't, not if you're looking to build a franchise properly. I think the fundamental mistake Berger is making here is painting the Panthers as the same incompetently run team of years past and that's not accurate at all. Tallon has ushered in a new era in FLA with smart drafting, and shrewd trades/signings, I can't see any good reason why he'd want to be burdened with another team's mistakes when he's just getting warmed up.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    Plenty of teams would want Phaneuf you moron. There's also such a thing as retaining salary, ever heard of it?
    Retaining salary of a $50 million contract you just signed a couple of months ago and hasn't even kicked in yet is a fireable offense.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

I...am your father.

A few thoughts on this:

1. This is the worst year in a decade to get the No.1 pick. That's the last decade...and the coming decade.
    2. I wouldn't do this deal if i'm the Leafs, in a million years
    3. They just signed Phaneuf, they're not trading him. The only time I've ever seen that happen - ever - is when Philly signed Jeff Carter.
    4. Howard who?
    5. Seriously though, why is Howard Berger still working his contacts? He couldn't possibly be drawing enough income from this business anymore, once the Fan let him go. In fact, I'd put money on his having at least looked into real estate.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    1. This is the worst year in a decade to get the No.1 pick. That's the last decade...and the coming decade.
    Agree.
    And - I still believe the Panthers (and Tallon... and owner, Viola) are smart enough to keep the team in a young state this year, do relatively poorly, and have a good shot at either McDavid/Eichel for next season.

Florida HAS a chance to be an NHL playoff lock & Cup Contender if they go:
    1. Ekblad (a solid D, who will take a few years to become the beast he will)
    2. McDavid/Eichel next year. (a distinct possibility if they can stink it up this year).

Nazem Kadri & Phaneuf are not going to turn Florida into a playoff team long-term... nor will they sell tickets.

Imagine Florida with all their young pieces + Ekblad/McDavid... or Ekblad/Eichel... or even a Nylander or Reinhart + Eichel.
    THAT is the start of a championship team... and all they have to do is NOT make a trade.
    (My other alternative is that they could move the #1 pick to EDM, who takes Ekblad, and still get a quality forward and ask for EDM's 2015 1st round pick... giving FLA two shots in the McDavid/Eichel lottery.)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Just to be clear: Toronto gives up a top pair D man, a 2nd line center, and a top 10 pick in the draft. To acquire what one day will probably be a top pair d-man as well as taking on even more dead cap space in Jovo? Yup, seems absolutely brilliant.
    This is dead on. Let alone that the draft this year is terrible. What a horrible hockeybuzz worthy rumour.

I can't believe people are arguing this is a bad move from the panthers perspective. They're getting a top defensemen and a solid 2nd/3rd line centre for next to nothing.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Then again, they somehow traded Jason Blake and Vesa Toskala... so....
    The difference is none of them landed a #1 pick...

This type of trade where a team rids itself of a bad contract AND lands a huge draft pick happens in fantasy hockey... but not in the NHL. After all, Mike Milbury is in the studio for a reason.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Considering the Dougie Gilmour connection to Sam Bennett, I bet they would take him to replace Kadri.

Kadri's bridge contract ends next season, Phaneuf is expensive and they can probably get a similar return from Jovo-cop for a lot less money.

I bet this isn't as far fetched as some on here are thinking.
    I'll bet it's a lot more far fetched than you're thinking.

Kadri is a 23 year old 2C, a season removed from a 70 point pace year. He still put up 50 points in a year when he had constantly changing linemates and little offensive depth to play with him.

Phaneuf, for all the crap he gets, IS a top pairing dman. He plays the hardest minutes in the entire league, and has among the league's worst support systems (seriously, the team's next best dman were a 19 year old rookie, and a 23 year old developing dman with less than two years of actual NHL experience). He gets trotted out in every situation and does exactly what he's asked.

A top pairing dman, and a steadily developing 23 year old CURRENT 2C for the 1st pick isn't a great deal when you consider a lot of scouts basically say that no one in this draft is at the level of some of 1st overall picks in years past. Through in taking JoVoCop's salary and still giving up the 8th.

No thank you sir.

The Leafs problem is depth, not its core. Changing out the core pieces is doing nothing to fix the core issue.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I'll bet it's a lot more far fetched than you're thinking.

Kadri is a 23 year old 2C, a season removed from a 70 point pace year. He still put up 50 points in a year when he had constantly changing linemates and little offensive depth to play with him.

Phaneuf, for all the crap he gets, IS a top pairing dman. He plays the hardest minutes in the entire league, and has among the league's worst support systems (seriously, the team's next best dman were a 19 year old rookie, and a 23 year old developing dman with less than two years of actual NHL experience). He gets trotted out in every situation and does exactly what he's asked.

A top pairing dman, and a steadily developing 23 year old CURRENT 2C for the 1st pick isn't a great deal when you consider a lot of scouts basically say that no one in this draft is at the level of some of 1st overall picks in years past. Through in taking JoVoCop's salary and still giving up the 8th.

No thank you sir.

The Leafs problem is depth, not its core. Changing out the core pieces is doing nothing to fix the core issue.
    Im just playing devils advocate for the most part.

As far as Phaneuf being a top pair Dman, I think he is paid like one because he is Toronto's top pairing Dman. That doesnt mean he is one on other teams.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Nobody wants Phaneuf you ******ed Toronto fans.
    A statement that oozes intelligence and positive contribution to this thread. Great Work.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im just playing devils advocate for the most part.

As far as Phaneuf being a top pair Dman, I think he is paid like one because he is Toronto's top pairing Dman. That doesnt mean he is one on other teams.
    I think he could be in Florida.

Whatever it takes to allow the leafs to promote Rielly and show case him is what I'd like to see...beside Phaneuf or someone else.