Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Howard Berger's interesting Leafs/Panthers trade rumor

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Howard Berger's interesting Leafs/Panthers trade rumor

http://www.bergerbytes.ca/leafs-florida-blockbuster/

WOULD LEAFS TRADE NAZEM KADRI AND DION PHANEUF TO FLORIDA AS PART OF A DEAL FOR THE NO. 1 PICK IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT? IT MAKES SENSE FOR BOTH TEAMS.

Let’s break down and analyze the trade.

Phaneuf’s name has surfaced on a number of occasions since Brendan Shanahan became president of the Leafs, Apr. 11. Given the decision to retain coach Randy Carlyle and the extreme unlikelihood that Phil Kessel will be traded, Phaneuf provides the Blue and White its lone opportunity to alter a failed nucleus. Leafs would accomplish this by trading Phaneuf to Florida, where he would suit up alongside veteran Brian Campbell; young stalwart Erik Gudbranson and fellow defensemen/prospects Dmitry Kulikov, Colby Robak and Alex Petrovic. In a best-case scenario, the Panthers would have a good mix of experience, size and mobility on the blue line. Phaneuf has limited movement restriction in the contract he signed with Maple Leafs in late-December, though he might have enough authority to require approval for a trade to Florida. My NHL contacts don’t believe that would be much of an issue. They feel Phaneuf would likely welcome a change of scenery and a leadership role in a far-less-maniacal hockey market.

Sadly for the Maple Leafs, Kadri and Carlyle mix like gasoline and fire. It’s a player/coach relationship with very limited upside. Given that only Buffalo scored fewer goals than Florida this season, Kadri would help boost a flagging offense. And, the Panthers would still get a good prospect with the No. 8 selection in the draft. Though there is risk in trading a young, gifted player, the Maple Leafs do have enough firepower to relinquish Kadri, who might blossom under new direction. And while Campbell carries a $7.15-million cap hit for the next two seasons, Florida is swimming in space ($30,234,625 according to Capgeek.com). Tallon could easily absorb Phaneuf’s $7 million hit, thus helping his team to reach the projected cap floor of $52 million.

The Leafs have a more complicated cap situation with a number of players to contend with. Dave Bolland, Jay McClement, Nikolai Kulemin, Mason Raymond Troy Bodie, Cody Franson, Jake Gardiner, Paul Ranger and James Reimer were all deployed by the club this past season and are all either restricted or unrestricted free agents. No. 1 goalie Jonathan Bernier has one year left on his paltry $2.9-million contract and if he continues to progress as a legitimate starter, he’ll command a hefty raise. The rumored deal with Florida would slash nearly $2.9 million from the Leafs’ cap figure – that being the difference between Phaneuf and Jovanovski. Turning 38 at the end of this month, Jovanovski has one year left on his $4.125-million contract and is not certain about coming back for an 18th NHL season. He appeared in 37 games for the Panthers after undergoing nearly a complete hip replacement and would like to play again – should his body cooperate. If that were to happen, the first overall draft pick in 1994 would lend size, savvy and experience to the young, developing Leafs on the blue-line. He would assume a portion of Phaneuf’s considerable ice time while Rielly ascends into the role. If Jovanovski retires, Leafs are off the hook for his salary and would still have the first selection in this year’s draft.

To summarize, this is a deal that could help both teams. In Phaneuf, Florida would add another horse on defense and a player with a refreshed outlook. Kadri would entertain fans in Sunrise and generate much-needed offense for the Panthers. By trading Phaneuf, Leafs would form a new identity and partially dissolve the blundering Carlyle-Phaneuf-Kessel triumvirate. Toronto would add yet another terrific prospect on the blue-line. As always, a trade rumor has to be considered for what it is – pure speculation. But, this one makes a bit of sense.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Howard Berger's interesting Leafs/Panthers trade rumor

i'd do it. if kadri is what it takes to get phaneuf's contract off the books, i'd say it's worth it.

only question is...who would leafs take at #1? If they trade kadri they will have a hole at C, maybe they re-sign Bolland with the freed up cap space and take Ekblad? Or they just go for Reinhart/Bennet and try to sign some D via FA?

probably just a dumb rumor but it would be fun to see it happen

Dobber Sports Master

I hadn't realized that the Panthers need someone to control the locker-room stereo, but I guess if they do then Phaneuf is the man!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Deity

Considering the Dougie Gilmour connection to Sam Bennett, I bet they would take him to replace Kadri.

Kadri's bridge contract ends next season, Phaneuf is expensive and they can probably get a similar return from Jovo-cop for a lot less money.

I bet this isn't as far fetched as some on here are thinking.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

I'll be on the far-fetched side. The Leafs are at the tail end of rebuilding, no? If they do this deal, they're pretty much saying, "Hey guess what, we're going to suck for another couple of years in hopes that a #1 pick is more Taylor Hall than Nail Yakupov." And that's if they take a forward first overall.

They lose a #1 dman who, while overpaid, still eats up a lot of big minutes. They have no one to replace that, and I don't think Jovo would be much help on the Leafs blueline.

Then they lose Kadri, who has struggled at times, but is still young and does have a 50-point season and a 44-points-in-48 games season.

This just feels like a step back.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ace

If this does happen. What does it mean for Kadri in Florida?? Good or bad??
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'll be on the far-fetched side. The Leafs are at the tail end of rebuilding, no? If they do this deal, they're pretty much saying, "Hey guess what, we're going to suck for another couple of years in hopes that a #1 pick is more Taylor Hall than Nail Yakupov." And that's if they take a forward first overall.

They lose a #1 dman who, while overpaid, still eats up a lot of big minutes. They have no one to replace that, and I don't think Jovo would be much help on the Leafs blueline.

Then they lose Kadri, who has struggled at times, but is still young and does have a 50-point season and a 44-points-in-48 games season.

This just feels like a step back.

I'm with you on this one. I doubt the Leafs take a step back as much as this article suggests. Ekblad would be great but with Rielly and Gardiner already in the mix I doubt they make a big play for another young D right now. Ekblad is a completely different player than the two mentioned above but with how weak the Leafs are at C it just doesn't make sense

Now I'm thinking the Leafs make a run at Joe Thornton. What do you think the Sharks would want in return?
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Yonald View Post
    Now I'm thinking the Leafs make a run at Joe Thornton. What do you think the Sharks would want in return?

thornton for phaneuf please.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thornton just signed a three-year extension with a no movement clause. I doubt he gets dealt before the deal even starts.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

i only say that because there was a Score article which quoted Bobby Mac that said this..

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/511505
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

The Great One

Just to be clear: Toronto gives up a top pair D man, a 2nd line center, and a top 10 pick in the draft. To acquire what one day will probably be a top pair d-man as well as taking on even more dead cap space in Jovo? Yup, seems absolutely brilliant.

Dobber Sports Master

Would the Panthers even want these guys and all the issues they bring, even with the level of talent? I wouldn't take them or their contracts and if I'm in Tallon's right ear, I'm telling him not to touch this with a 10-foot pole. Let the Leafs live with the mess they've made. Why buy a terrible 49M$ contract? Pass. Sorry Leafs. Live with it.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nobody wants Phaneuf you ******ed Toronto fans.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Nobody wants Phaneuf you ******ed Toronto fans.
    lol um... Pulling no punches.

At that price tag, I wouldn't take him no. But at 4M I would. He needs to not be the No 1 guy. He needs to be a really good #3.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

Looking at this from Viola's perspective its boils down to 2 factors. Talent and Finance.

On the talent side of things the deal makes sense. Florida needs an upgrade on the ice no doubt about it. Dion and Kadri would provide that. Tallon would probably jump at the chance to bring in proven NHL talent.

HOWEVER

From the financial side of the picture this deal will not happen. Why you ask ?

The Panthers lose money every season.

Viola can easily afford the contracts due to his personal abundant wealth as a market maker, but bringing on added salary means the club will be further mired in the red. While the team could benefit from better ticket sales if you take a look at Panther ownership turnover the situation is clearly one of losing money. So the owner is a shrewd and effective businessman FIRST and an NHL owner second. He will not take on additional costs without passing on the costs to the market in the form of higher ticket prices, steeper concession revenues, city of Miami fee waivers and so on. Without these dollar incentives this suggested deal never happens.

just my 2 cents
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.