Thread: Panthers talk to Gallant re: vacant coaching position

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Panthers talk to Gallant re: vacant coaching position

A few weeks ago we were talking about coaching possibilities in a thread and this guy was my sleeper pick per say to land a head coaching job. Florida asked for permission to talk to him about their vacant position. Good for him, hope he lands it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=721500

Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon received permission Monday morning from his Montreal Canadiens counterpart, Marc Bergevin, to speak with Canadiens assistant coach Gerard Gallant about the Panthers' vacant coaching position, according to several media reports.

Gallant left Montreal for South Florida on Sunday, according to RDS, but the request for permission from Bergevin to negotiate with Gallant came from Tallon on Monday morning.

Tallon fired interim coach Peter Horachek at the end of the regular season after the Panthers went 26-36-4 under his watch. Horachek had replaced Kevin Dineen on Nov. 8, inheriting a team that had started the season 3-9-4.

Tallon mentioned at the time he fired Horachek that he was looking for someone with NHL coaching experience after Horachek, Dineen and Peter DeBoer were first-time NHL coaches when they were hired by the Panthers.

Gallant would meet that wish, having coached the Columbus Blue Jackets for 142 games from the 2003-04 season to 2006-07, compiling a record of 56-76-6 with four ties. Gallant has been an assistant coach with the Canadiens since June 15, 2012, joining the team after a highly successful stint coaching the Saint John Sea Dogs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

In three seasons with the Sea Dogs, Gallant led Saint-John to the QMJHL final three times, winning the league title twice and winning the Memorial Cup in 2011. The Memorial Cup tournament MVP in 2011 was Jonathan Huberdeau, now a top forward for the Panthers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Panthers talk to Gallant re: vacant coaching position

I saw this and I thought: it sucks to lose a pretty darn good assistant, but you can't hold a guy back. Great move allowing the Panthers to talk to him and if he gets the job, kudos and thanks for the service.

Permission to talk was surely a foregone conclusion as I'm sure Tallon and Bergevin have a relationship they were banking on for Gallant to fly out. By my accounts, it would be a good hire.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

A bit surprised, but good for Gallant making the jump.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I can absolutely see Gallant down in Florida.
    Seems like a good fit.

I...am your father.

He was a pretty terrible coach in Columbus. But I guess he could have learned from his mistakes...and got back into the W column with Saint John and later Montreal
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    He was a pretty terrible coach in Columbus.
    With much of that roster, anyone would have been a pretty terrible coach...

Your post prompted a point to me that sometimes guys are just better assistants than head coaches at some levels.. But something tells me he's definitely learned a tonne and is actually a good fit in FLA, especially given the St-John's ties and the junior success.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Expert

Not sure what about to think this one. I would have hoped for someone more expirienced and rep to come with it.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    With much of that roster, anyone would have been a pretty terrible coach...

Your post prompted a point to me that sometimes guys are just better assistants than head coaches at some levels.. But something tells me he's definitely learned a tonne and is actually a good fit in FLA, especially given the St-John's ties and the junior success.
    Good coaches learn from their mistakes. Yes the Columbus roster was terrible. You are correct Agent, he will have learned a ton by being in Mtl. He will be a good fit in Fla.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO