Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Blackhawks offseason moves?

versteeg will stay
    rozsival has another year on his deal
    raanta is a RFA so hes likely to be back

handzus wont be back, i expect he will retire
    regin wont be back
    brookback might be re-signed for depth but thats difficult to predict
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Banned

The Hawks don't need to do much IMO, that team is a powerhouse that came one OT goal away from another cup this season.
    As usual they just need to keep on keeping on, take care of the business at home and make a couple key signings.

Their biggest concern is that Kane and Toews expire after this season so they need to make sure they have the cash in hand for them. If I'm Bowman, I'm talking to them this summer and getting an idea what it's going to take. I feel like both those guys were steals at 6.3mil so they're due some big raises but I'm willing to bet they'll give him a bit of a hometown discount so they can stay in Chicago and win a couple more cups. Either way they'll get the same money I bet and the Hawks will try to lock them up for the full 8 years apiece. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get 9mil or more each.

They've also got Seabrook expiring the year after and they need to keep him if at all possible too. He'll command a huge raise too, again probably in the $9-10mil range.

The Hawks timed this superbly IMO, they knew they were going to have to pony up for these guys eventually so they planned it for when the cap should be increased enough to offset these contracts somewhat...I think the cap is projected to be $71mil this season? That's some more wiggle room.

After that they have Saad's expiring ELC to take care of, they would be wise to lock him in at a friendly cap hit while they can, something in the $3mil range for 4 years would seem like a solid signing?

Beyond that they just need to sign a center to replace Handzus since Teravnien is a ways off yet, or maybe re-sign him for a year or two? Grabovski might be another good option for #2 C?

The team is in great shape, I wouldn't mess with success too much.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not saying we need to do a lot, but that second line center.

Who is within reach given our cap limitations? Someone tossed around Jumbo Joe but that's a stretch.

The Great One

Don't forget that that have teravainen on the farm and may get a longer look next season... For me the biggest issue is hossa with another 6ish years on his deal at 5.25 and as outlines above with Kane and Toews re upping and seabrook to follow there won't be much wiggle room for a second line centre

to answer the original question Raanta will stay (especially as only relying on him for 15-20 games and is an RFA), versteeg will get one year, Roszival has one year left (ironically enough time before throwing his 2.2 at seabrook), regin may stay but handzus and brook bank will be gone IMHO

I actually have no idea what will happen.

Teuvo Teravainen
    Is TT going to be our 2C next year? I feel like unless he goes on an absolute rampage this summer and bulks up he will spend the year in Rockford.
    He is still pretty small and only has 5 games on NA size ice so we will see. I feel like he COULD be a chip in a trade to bring in a bigger 2C.

Sharp and Hossa
    These guys are getting older, may not be immediate signs of it but as the years go on, these guys will slowly decline.
    Is it possible to move one of them for something to fill up our 2C spot? I'm not saying move them because I think they will be good for another 3-4 years (Sharp at least).

Roszival/Handzus/Versteeg/Bollig
    I think these guys need to go, to be honest. Versteeg needs to either get his shit together this summer to even be allowed on the 4th line or he needs to leave. Zeus and Roszival need to go so young guys can come up (See prospect list below)

Kane & Toews
    If signing them is an off-season move than this is why it is here, I think they both get 9M.

Crawford & Raanta
    I think they will both stay.

What I would like to see:
    Bickell/Toews/Hossa
    Saad/TT/Kane
    Sharp/Kruger/Shaw

Prospects competing for 4th line or last D pairing?
    -Smith/Regin/Morin/Nordstrom
    -Broadhurts/McNeil/Danault
    -Rundblad/Dahlbeck/Johns
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W/ GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Suzuki
    LW: Tkachuk, Schwartz
    RW: Seguin, Bratt, Necas
    D: Josi, Letang, Rielly, Theodore, Chabot
    G: Hart, Knight, Hill
    IR: Murray

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

sign derek roy to a cheap 1 year/2M deal, put him on a line with Kane. $$$$$

or try and bring bolland back at a discount.

hawks are fine, just need minor retooling.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    I actually have no idea what will happen.

Teuvo Teravainen
    Is TT going to be our 2C next year? I feel like unless he goes on an absolute rampage this summer and bulks up he will spend the year in Rockford.
    He is still pretty small and only has 5 games on NA size ice so we will see. I feel like he COULD be a chip in a trade to bring in a bigger 2C.

Sharp and Hossa
    These guys are getting older, may not be immediate signs of it but as the years go on, these guys will slowly decline.
    Is it possible to move one of them for something to fill up our 2C spot? I'm not saying move them because I think they will be good for another 3-4 years (Sharp at least).

Roszival/Handzus/Versteeg/Bollig
    I think these guys need to go, to be honest. Versteeg needs to either get his shit together this summer to even be allowed on the 4th line or he needs to leave. Zeus and Roszival need to go so young guys can come up (See prospect list below)

Kane & Toews
    If signing them is an off-season move than this is why it is here, I think they both get 9M.

Crawford & Raanta
    I think they will both stay.

What I would like to see:
    Bickell/Toews/Hossa
    Saad/TT/Kane
    Sharp/Kruger/Shaw

Prospects competing for 4th line or last D pairing?
    -Smith/Regin/Morin/Nordstrom
    -Broadhurts/McNeil/Danault
    -Rundblad/Dahlbeck/Johns

A couple points:

Teravainen - definitely #2 C material, but not yet. I think he's at least another year off, maybe two but he should get some ice time with the big team this year so we'll see what he makes of the opportunity. I think from Bowman's perspective though, there's no need to rush him so why not bring him along slowly, let him bulk up a bit and in the meantime sign a #2 C to a short contract?

Roszival/Versteeg, etc - I get what you're saying but at the same time, who do you replace them with? They're not being relied on to be top tiered players, but they do fill out the roster nicely and at a nice price too. Honestly I didn't think Roszival has been that bad for the Hawks. I don't think he's a great player by any stretch but I think he got a really bad rap in NY because he was getting paid a lot of money to be the #1 guy and he's just not that guy. On CHI he plays secondary minutes to the big boys and he's been much better because of it. Not saying they should re-sign either of these guys necessarily, but they have a year left on their deals so there's no reason to get rid of them yet either.

Dobber Sports Master

I would let Regin go, but would look to keep Handzus. He played pretty well. Transition TT in at camp, but I don't know if he is ready. A summer of training will help decide that, surely. They must have brought back Versteeg for a reason, so I see him staying. This team doesn't need to to really much at all. A flutter/deflection OT away from the Stanley Cup Final? Why monkey with that?...
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    sign derek roy to a cheap 1 year/2M deal, put him on a line with Kane. $$$$$
    This is...........actually brilliant!

cheers.

Dobber Sports Guru

They'll need to give blank checks to Toews and Kane and tell them to put in numbers they like and have those two as Blackhawks' for life.

After those two are re-signed, the rest is easy to figure out. They don't need to do much changes. They don't have the cap space to do anything significant either unless shipping out one of their core players in the deal and that doesn't make sense for them. They have the core in place and just need to surround them with the right people and luckily for them they already pretty much have those players in the system.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Deity

I also think TT is the future #2 center for this team, but like others I also think he needs a solid season in the AHL to get up to speed.

Right now, they need a #2 center and I think they already have him in Ben Smith. The guy is super versatile and has already shown he can play in that role. Long term, I think there are better options but short term I think he fits the bill nicely until TT gets up there.

As far as Regin and Handzus go, I think they can let them go. Kruger and Nordstrom will fill the 3rd and 4th line centers nicely (and affordably).

Versteeg is still signed for one more year so I dont see him going anywhere.

I think Roszival and Brookbank are solid Dmen and fill their roles nicely.

Raanta isn't going anywhere.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Right now, they need a #2 center and I think they already have him in Ben Smith. The guy is super versatile and has already shown he can play in that role. Long term, I think there are better options but short term I think he fits the bill nicely until TT gets up there.
    Shaw is much better option for that #2 C spot than Smith IMO. Didn't Chicago bump Shaw to center the second line during the Kings series and Kane broke out immediately after it?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Shaw is much better option for that #2 C spot than Smith IMO. Didn't Chicago bump Shaw to center the second line during the Kings series and Kane broke out immediately after it?

I know in the playoffs they have played both of them in that role. I cant argue with Shaw going into that role either.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

For all the talk of a #2 center, the Hawks have won two Stanley Cups without one. Just saying. Obviously having a legit player in that spot would only help.

Shaw will get a long look at that 2C role next season, and until they find a better option he will most likely stay there. Ben Smith has done a very good job during his stints with the team, but he is what he is I think, and that's a 3rd or 4th liner. I'm not sure he would be nearly as effective in the top 6 facing tougher competition. Also on the 2nd line you pretty much need a center who will just get out of the way and let Kane carry the puck, dig in the corners, and get in position for passes or crashing the net....I'm not sure Smith has the kind of talent to keep up with Kane on a consistent basis....Shaw has developed that part of his skill very well over the last couple years. But ya, in the end, that 2C spot is being kept warm for Teravainen.

As mentioned above, Kruger and Nordstrom are ready to anchor the bottom six, time to move on from Zus. Get Morin on the 3rd line with Kruger and either Sharp or Bickell and you have a pretty solid 3rd line I think. Nordstrom with Smith and either a cheap FA or maybe promote McNeil or Danault. McNeil seems like a lost cause already to ever be a top 6'er but I think he could step into a 4th line role right now and be effective.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar