Thread: REP: Young team needs help with 9th forward

Dobber Sports Master

Default REP: Young team needs help with 9th forward

Our points only league allows teams to keep fifteen players (any position) before next year's five round draft. I really like my three goalies (Lack, Lehner, Gibson) and my top three d-men (Trouba, Barrie, Ceci). Some of my forwards are locks to stay (MacKinnon, Hertl ) while others are certain, but still improving, NHLers (Lindholm, Silfverberg, Couturier, Tatar, Scheifele). My real decision involves my bottom two forwards. Which two of the five players below would you keep:

Beau Bennett: Bit of a Band-Aid, but liable to play top six minutes on a powerful Penguins team.
    Mikael Grigorenko: mishandled prospect who still has crazy amounts of skill and potential.
    Brandon Pirri: getting a chance in Florida, but may get pushed by young talent making a push.
    Calle Jarnkrok: lit it up in short stint with Preds, but small sample size of work. And it is still Nashville.
    Hunter Shinkaruk: Vancouver has intention of giving youth a chance next year. Is Shinkaruk one of them??

Please keep in mind that I won't contend for a few years yet, and that I am really interested in where some of these bottom five players will be in a couple years time.

Any and all opinions are appreciated. I must submit my final roster after the Stanley Cup Finals.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: REP: Young team needs help with 9th forward

You look to be in a major rebuild. If you are happy with Lack, Lehner and Gibson as your goalies, I'm guessing you are not that concerned with points for next year. I see your keepers as this:

F: MacKinnon, E. Lindholm, Grigorenko, Scheifele, Silfverberg, Hertl, Bennett, Couturier, Pirri, Shinkaruk, Tatar, Jarnkrok
    D: Trouba, Barrie, Ceci, Gormley, Brodie
    G: Lehner, Lack, Gibson

Dobber Sports Master

Interesting choice in keeping Gormley. Care to explain? You think he will have that much of an impact in the next couple of years to keep?

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    You look to be in a major rebuild. If you are happy with Lack, Lehner and Gibson as your goalies, I'm guessing you are not that concerned with points for next year. I see your keepers as this:

F: MacKinnon, E. Lindholm, Grigorenko, Scheifele, Silfverberg, Hertl, Bennett, Couturier, Pirri, Shinkaruk, Tatar, Jarnkrok
    D: Trouba, Barrie, Ceci, Gormley, Brodie
    I would keep Bennett instead of Gormly - points only - there is more potential upside - D 25-30 pt Dmen are easy to find.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bennett and Grigorenko
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Stud

Given the state of your rebuild, I'd go with the highest ceiling for the last two keepers which, in my opinion, is Grigorenko and Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk is coming off a really tough year where he lost some confidence after being one of the last cuts by the Canucks (apparently he legitimately thought he was going to get at least 9 games), was slow out of the gates as a result, left of Team Canada and then having a season ending surgery in January, but the skill level is still immense. Same with Grigorenko, if Buffalo can pull the right strings with him this year he still has a shot at being a VERY good NHL'er.

Bennett for me was close in this, but these wrist surgeries are really starting to become a bother. The two this season makes, if I'm not mistaken, 3 maybe 4 in the past 3 years. Understandably, it's been hampering his passing and shooting, and it doesn't seem to be going away.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like Grigs and Shinkaruk too.

Dobber Sports Stud

The uncertainty surronding Grigorenko is just too much for me, but since you're rebuilding, I'd take a risk and stick with him and Bennett. Both have the highest upsides and best situations on your list IMO.

Dobber Sports Master

Bump. Any last thoughts on this?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    I would keep Bennett instead of Gormly - points only - there is more potential upside - D 25-30 pt Dmen are easy to find.
    agree here...

F: MacKinnon, E. Lindholm, Grigorenko, Scheifele, Silfverberg, Hertl, Bennett, Couturier, Tatar,
    D: Trouba, Barrie, Ceci,
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)