Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Look at the New York Islanders

I...am your father.

Default A Look at the New York Islanders

Originally posted at The Hockey News

New York Islanders

Pending UFAs – Radek Martinek, Evgeni Nabokov
    Pending RFAs - Aaron Ness, Kevin Poulin, Anders Nilsson, Matt Donovan, Calvin de Haan, Casey Cizikas, Anders Lee

Looking to add – The Islanders needed, first and foremost, some stable, quality goaltending. They addressed that need with the acquisition and subsequent signing of Jaroslav Halak. Whenever Halak is healthy, he’ll get the start. He gets injured frequently, so that could mean only 50 starts, but it could also mean 65 or more if he can beat the bug.
    Next up, the team could use a full scoring line. Are Ryan Strome and Anders Lee ready to take on those kinds of minutes? If so, and with a healthy John Tavares back, perhaps the Islanders can get by. Thrive even. But it couldn’t hurt to kick tires on a scoring winger such as Mike Cammalleri, Milan Michalek, Marian Gaborik or Jarome Iginla.
    Looking at the blue line, with Mark Streit traded, and Visnovsky likely to go soon as well, there is a need for veteran help. Tops on the available list include Matt Niskanen, Andrei Markov, Dan Boyle and Marek Zidlicky.

Ready for full-time – There will be no shortage of players making the jump this season – either for the duration or perhaps they make the jump for good at some time in December or January. Ryan Strome tops my list, as we are all well aware of what his upside is. In fact, you can probably pencil him in for 45 points and feel pretty good about it.
    Anders Lee made a big splash when he joined the team on Feb. 27, tallying 10 points in his first nine contests. But he tapered off and managed just four in the next 13. Still, he’s a big (6-foot-2, 225-pound) center with a lot of skill and very little to prove at the American League level. He’ll get looks on the John Tavares line. He could be next season’s Ondrej Palat.
    Goaltender Anders Nilsson may in fact be ready for a full-time NHL backup role, and probably performed better than Kevin Poulin down the stretch. However, a Newsday report has Nilsson leaning towards returning to Europe for next campaign.

As already noted, the Islanders have a number of spots open on the blue line and wouldn’t you know it – they have a fantastic crop of defensemen in the pipeline. With Calvin de Haan already proving that he belongs, the team will probably take on one more youngster. Ryan Pulock and Griffin Reinhart are two of the best defensemen outside of the NHL right now and either one of them, maybe both, could make an impact. And you should probably not count out Finnish sensation Ville Pokka, although he would be best served with a season in the AHL first.

Fantasy Outlook: Because the Islanders were recently in the postseason and because they solved their goaltending woes (on paper), and of course, because Tavares is back and healthy…this team is ready to contend for the post-season again. Goals will be plentiful, which is music to a fantasy owner’s ears. A great team to build your keeper squad around. Fantasy Grade: B (last year was B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Default Re: A Look at the New York Islanders

No mention of Brock Nelson?

The guy is going to be one of the best power forwards in the league very soon. He is my favorite for JT's left wing, which would be a guarantee of 60+ points starting next year. The Isles could look for a UFA to fill the spot, but Brock is ready and a good fit. Even if he doesn't land on JT's wing, this guy is gonna be a stud...

I...am your father.

I agree, Nelson has a lot of upside and he keeps exceeding expectations. For some reason, they don't give him a fair shot - he keeps having to force the matter and make his own opportunity
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post

The guy is going to be one of the best power forwards in the league very soon. He is my favorite for JT's left wing, which would be a guarantee of 60+ points starting next year. The Isles could look for a UFA to fill the spot, but Brock is ready and a good fit. Even if he doesn't land on JT's wing, this guy is gonna be a stud...
    I thought that was going to be Anders Lee?

Dobber Sports Stud

So Anders Lee or Brock Nelson for that coveted spot on JT's wing? I personally think Lee has the edge to start next season. And man do the Isles need defensemen bad!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I thought that was going to be Anders Lee?
    He's gonna a be another good one. Whoever lines up with JT and Okposo is going to score 60 points next year, easy. Lee played top line when Vanek was moved, so you know Cappy likes him. I think Lee plays with Strome and Nelson lines up on the big line. We'll see, but both of this guys are going to be good players for the Isles. Could be Bailey or Nielsen on the top line though, or a UFA.

Banned

He's gonna a be another good one. Whoever lines up with JT and Okposo is going to score 60 points next year, easy. Lee played top line when Vanek was moved, so you know Cappy likes him. I think Lee plays with Strome and Nelson lines up on the big line. We'll see, but both of this guys are going to be good players for the Isles. Could be Bailey or Nielsen on the top line though, or a UFA.
    I don't see either guy getting 60 but who knows.

Banned

Brad Boyes scored 60 on JT's wing and that was with Moulsen, not Okposo. I think 60 points is a given for whomever lines up in that spot.

Banned

Brad Boyes scored 60 on JT's wing and that was with Moulsen, not Okposo. I think 60 points is a given for whomever lines up in that spot.
    and Boyes was more developed and was a better scorer than a young guy with 1 season like Nelson

60 is a big number nowadays especially for a rookie or sophomore

Banned

and Boyes was more developed and was a better scorer than a young guy with 1 season like Nelson

You are right, 60 is a lofty expectation... but I think Nelson would be right around that number.
    He's not a kid, he'll be 23 when next season starts and he IS already a more developed player than Boyes is.
    Cappy plays his top line over 20 minutes a night - maybe the highest in the league.
    The ice-time and playing with JT can do a lot for your point totals.
    Just ask Moulsen, Boyes and PAP.
    Or ask Kyle Okposo, who scored 4 goals the season before lining up with JT and hitting 27 in 70ish games last year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Just to clarify, Boyes got 35 points in 48 games playing with Tavares during the lockout shortened season, which prorates to 60 points, and I don't really believe in straight up prorating a player's stats to an 82 game schedule. Also, if I remember correctly, Boyes was getting good PP time as well, I don't see the new guy on the Tavares' line playing on the top PP unit next season. So saying that 60 points is a sure thing for whoever plays LW with Tavares and Okposo is a bit of a stretch, unless it's an established UFA player who will get top PP time.

Banned

You are right, 60 is a lofty expectation... but I think Nelson would be right around that number.
    He's not a kid, he'll be 23 when next season starts and he IS already a more developed player than Boyes is.
    Cappy plays his top line over 20 minutes a night - maybe the highest in the league.
    The ice-time and playing with JT can do a lot for your point totals.
    Just ask Moulsen, Boyes and PAP.
    Or ask Kyle Okposo, who scored 4 goals the season before lining up with JT and hitting 27 in 70ish games last year.
    Kyle Okposo was in his 5th/6th season. A big difference.

We're talking about a sophomore player. He isn't more developed than Boyes was last year when he was with the Isles.

Moulson, Boyes, PAP are scorers. The jury is out on Nelson if he is a scorer are not, he still has to prove that. You can't just put anyone with the two and assume they will get 60 points.

Maybe he or Lee will hit 60 but I would bet highly against it just based on realistic expectations.

Banned

OR the #1 Center in Ottawa

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    So Anders Lee or Brock Nelson for that coveted spot on JT's wing? I personally think Lee has the edge to start next season. And man do the Isles need defensemen bad!
    IMO, Islanders draft Nylander out of Modo ... kid is special.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Perhaps it has more to do with the Islanders wanting to develop a 2nd or even 3rd line with size, grit and have the ability to score. From that perspective it helps understand where they view Nelson's "ideal" position. Nevermind that he could play on JT's wing and put up good numbers.

Personally I'd like to see Lee and Nelson line up with Strome, although that would most likely cause some position changes perhaps pushing Ryan Strome over to RW with Nelson playing on the left side between Lee as the center. That would be one heck of a kids line. Good size, wheels, finishing and passing too.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.