Thread: How do I improve my goaltending for next year

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How do I improve my goaltending for next year

Team 1 in sig for this one!

Right now we will be submitting our keepers soon and I have no choice but to keep Luongo and Price..I don't pick till the 2nd round and am hoping to steal a future star goalie there out of the list I post below who do you think is likely to slip back. One GM has already dropped C. Anderson so there is some name value in the draft I suppose

C.Anderson
    E.Lack
    J.MArkstrom
    F.Anderson
    J.Gibson
    J.Allen
    B.Elliot
    R.Lehner
    K.Ramo
    M.Brouder
    E.Nabokov
    D.Kuempher
    J.Harding

there is some old vets in there as well I just listed off the top of my head guys who could be in the draft...I'm hoping that Jake Allen falls to 2nd round and I can snag him and hopefully he does enough this year so that I can keep him, or should I be looking another way (Lehner>)

I like Gibson and F Anderson but who knows who will start there...also am I safe to assume Allen will be in a split start situation next year...?

there will be some decent names in the draft (Kuznetsov Ladd Hedman Perron Nyquist Monahan Oshie Schwartz T.Johnson H.Sedin S.Hartnell B.Richards) so maybe one of these young goalies slip

1 more question if I did get the chance would I be smart to target say the tandem of Elliot/Allen or Gibson/Anderson and then try to shop Luongo...?
    Yahoo keeper (10) 10 TEAMS Standard Scoring
    G(5) A(3) Pims(.25) Shots(.1) Blocks(.1) GWG(3) SHG(3) PPG(1) +-(1) W(10) L(-5) GA(-1) Saves(.2) SO(10)
    3 C 3 RW 3 LW 6 D 2 G 5 Bench 2 IR 1 IR+

C: Thornton Datsyuk (LW) Eakin Nylander (RW)
    LW: Gaudraue Pacioretty Galchenyuk (LW) Burakovsky
    RW: Stone Williams Kucherov Jagr
    D: Subban Muzzin E. Ekman-Larsson Vatanen Paryako J. Schultz
    G: Elliot Luongo F.Anderson C.Johnson
    IR: Schneider Seguin (C)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: How do I improve my goaltending for next year

Is there any chance to trade draft picks to land yourself at a back-to-back turn?
    There are going to be some really solid platoons (as you mention) next year - but I'd be scared to death to take a risk on half-a-platoon.

However, if I knew I'd get BOTH sides of the platoon, I think that's a great strategy.
    I think people will be reaching for Elliott and wary of taking either Gibson or F.Anderson... unless a draft is closer to season start where a team has announced a lock-#1.

But drafting either the ANA or STL platoon is going to be a very smart move in leagues next year.

For you, with Price/Lu... I don't think you need a massive goaltending upgrade.
    With your league of W/L - it is important to have goalies on winning teams, because those losses can really hurt.

Perhaps you can trade Luongo for a 1st/2nd round turn-picks?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The only thing I like about having Luo even in FLA is that I know who is starting 80% of the games there, like you mentioned id be nervous to bank on say Anderson starting and then he only gets 30 games and im forced to keep him. Lehner has caught my eye last year until his stats dropped (although the whole team dropped) maybe I can try to flip luongo and my late 2nds for early picks and try to nab Anderson/Gibson or Allen/Elliot.

which goalie would you target if you had to ride one? my gut says Allen, but Lehner keeps coming up in my head to.
    Yahoo keeper (10) 10 TEAMS Standard Scoring
    G(5) A(3) Pims(.25) Shots(.1) Blocks(.1) GWG(3) SHG(3) PPG(1) +-(1) W(10) L(-5) GA(-1) Saves(.2) SO(10)
    3 C 3 RW 3 LW 6 D 2 G 5 Bench 2 IR 1 IR+

C: Thornton Datsyuk (LW) Eakin Nylander (RW)
    LW: Gaudraue Pacioretty Galchenyuk (LW) Burakovsky
    RW: Stone Williams Kucherov Jagr
    D: Subban Muzzin E. Ekman-Larsson Vatanen Paryako J. Schultz
    G: Elliot Luongo F.Anderson C.Johnson
    IR: Schneider Seguin (C)

Dobber Sports Guru

Since you have Loungo and Price already, you don't need to worry about your third goalie in the second round. I'd take Sedin, Voracek or a few other guys before worrying about a third goalie.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, if you are set on going after a goalie, I'd take Gibson before Lehner or Allen.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think people will be reaching for Elliott and wary of taking either Gibson or F.Anderson... unless a draft is closer to season start where a team has announced a lock-#1.
    I guess it depends on the culture of your league but in my experience people are always reaching for the young guy who could be the next big thing and dismissive of the 'unsexy' vet like Elliott or Anderson.

I think that you should watch how the first part of the draft goes and then make the call on the best thing to do with your 2nd round pick. Depending on people's needs and preferences it sounds like a lot of goalies will still be around and maybe there will be an obvious choice at that point.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dape02 View Post
    The only thing I like about having Luo even in FLA is that I know who is starting 80% of the games there
    My recommendation on Luongo is that he doesn't fit with your league categories.
    Rostering a goalie on a bad team has differing value in different styles of leagues.
    Your league (!!!) might be the WORST (!!!) format for having a goalie on a bad team.

1. You count Losses. I'm assuming that the team with most losses will lose the category. If true, Florida is going to lose... a lot... so you'll lose that.
    2. They won't win much... so you might also lose Wins.
    3. You could GAA - Florida gets shelled... this ain't SV% where a good goalie on bad team (see Bernier-TOR) can still put up helpful numbers. GAA is lost.
    4. SO, this will normally be a 0-0 tie most weeks.

So, with just Price... I think your typical week will be 2-1-1.
    With Price/Luongo... I think your typical weel will be 1-2-1.
    In other words - Luongo (at best) is going to help you win WINS some weeks, but he's more often going to make you LOSE LOSSES and... LOSE GAA.

He really really doesn't fit in this league.
    If you had SAVES... yes, a goalie that starts a lot is gold.
    If you did not have LOSSES... yes, a goalie that plays a lot can add wiins without hurting from losses.
    If you had SV%... yes, any quality goalie (good team or bad team) will help.

But these categories... I'm sorry... this is the worst possible categories for rostering a goalie on a bad team.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Your goaltending looks fine to me, and I would likely be looking to strengthen my team elsewhere. Price is money and Luongo will be around for another 2-3 years at least, so you don't need to be sweating. I agree with newf and reeveta and would draft a forward.

If you are set on taking a young goalie, I would rank them in the following order, but there's no gaurantee they will be a useful pick this year or a worthwhile keeper at years end.
    Allen
    Lehner
    Gibson