Thread: Russia's WC Victory being questioned..

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Russia's WC Victory being questioned..

Here's the background story.

Yesterday, Russian coach Oleg Znarok was suspended for todays Gold medal game after making a throat slashing gesture.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...he-did-it-gif/

Today, there are questions as to whether Znarok was communicating with his team while being suspended.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...h-team-in-game

This should be interesting.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Russia's WC Victory being questioned..

Whats the World Championship's anyway??

I watched team Russia celebrate after they defeated Finland, and was wondering how sweet is it to win a tournament when clearly the best players at that caliber aren't even close to all being there?? I'm just curious, not taking anything away from Russia, as someone has to win..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Obviously to players in North America it means little. Why do you think you see so few of the top players accept the call for this tourney for Canada and the US?

Now look at the European countries. This tourney means something to those countries. Thats why you see guys like Bobrovsky and Malkin (to name a couple) who will hop on a plane after getting eliminated from the playoffs to represent their country. To many European players who play over here, this tourney is obviously important.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Here's the background story.

Yesterday, Russian coach Oleg Znarok was suspended for todays Gold medal game after making a throat slashing gesture.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...he-did-it-gif/

Today, there are questions as to whether Znarok was communicating with his team while being suspended.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...h-team-in-game

This should be interesting.
    The two coaches were obviously communicating. If you read his lips and understand Russian, you can tell the suspended coach in the press box was saying "Tell Ovie to keeeeeeep back checking"

Seriously, suspensions and fines to the coaching staff and Russian management are coming - but the gold medal will stand.

Dobber Sports Ninja

European tournament, with European diving and European corruption. The tournament is a joke.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    The two coaches were obviously communicating. If you read his lips and understand Russian, you can tell the suspended coach in the press box was saying "Tell Ovie to keeeeeeep back checking"

Seriously, suspensions and fines to the coaching staff and Russian management are coming - but the gold medal will stand.
    Ovie was back checking?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Ovie was back checking?

Rylant
    That or he forgot they switched ends.......

Dobber Sports All-Star

I was actually really impressed that the cheap shot came from Backlund. Looks like all this time in North America has finally begun to sink in to Backlund and maybe there's hope for him yet. I'm happy to see that he doesn't look quite like the neutered cat that he normally is.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    European tournament, with European diving and European corruption. The tournament is a joke.
    It is, but it also means a lot to Europeans. It can also be decent development for young NA players.

And good gravy, the diving was atrocious in this tournament! What an embarrassment. I'd love to see diving called more, in all leagues.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Whats the World Championship's anyway??

I watched team Russia celebrate after they defeated Finland, and was wondering how sweet is it to win a tournament when clearly the best players at that caliber aren't even close to all being there?? I'm just curious, not taking anything away from Russia, as someone has to win..
    It's a make believe tourney that serves as a sort of 'consolation award' for players not good enough to be in the NHL playoffs and who were not good enough to compete for a real gold medal in the Olympics

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    It's a make believe tourney that serves as a sort of 'consolation award' for players not good enough to be in the NHL playoffs and who were not good enough to compete for a real gold medal in the Olympics
    Unless Canada wins and then it is a legit competition where we Canadians show our depth in hockey.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    It is, but it also means a lot to Europeans. It can also be decent development for young NA players.

And good gravy, the diving was atrocious in this tournament! What an embarrassment. I'd love to see diving called more, in all leagues.
    Yeah 5-6 years ago the gold medal game was one of the most embarrassing displays of diving and stickwork that I have ever seen at that level of hockey. The NHL is slowly slipping that way though, so we might be looking at what the NHL will look like in 10-15 years.

Dobber Sports Wizard

No one seems to be making a big deal about it, so the entire coach communication (James Bond style) fiasco must not be breaking any rules.

Dobber Sports Sage

The assistant/interim head coach behind the bench for Russia was constantly checking his tablet, I have never seen a "head" coach do that before. So I suspected something was up during the game. Probably had an IM session with the suspended HC going the whole time.

Pretty clever way to get around the rules, kinda like the ejected baseball manager putting a chair just inside the tunnel to the dugout. It will be pretty difficult for IIHF to prove malfeasance here.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Meh, whatever...it's IIHF, so who really gives a rat's ass?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket