Thread: Yikes, Pavel Datsyuk is turning 36

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Yikes, Pavel Datsyuk is turning 36

This one made me feel old.

It officially happens on July 26 - Datsyuk enters his late thirties.

After so many years as an elite asset it's hard to think of him as anything but. I've long been skeptical of him (ever since those 87 and 97 point years dried up). Without solid PIMs, SOG, or even plus minus (with DET no longer a contender) he really shouldn't be a top 20 choice any more. But every year he's invariably back up the list.

So let's use this thread for two things - 1) to enjoy some vintage Datsyuk memories (I could watch You Tube clips all day) 2) Discuss (and worry about) what the next three seasons could look like fantasy-wise.

I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Banned

Default Re: Yikes, Pavel Datsyuk is turning 36

yeah I know what you mean, even when he was in his prime he was a bit 1-dimensional in my multi-cat fantasy leagues too (no hits, blocked shots or PIMs) so now that the pts are in decline it makes it harder to justify.
    He's sort of followed a trajectory not unlike Federov for Detroit, big scoring numbers earlier in his career but evolving into a excellent all-around player. If you watch him play now, it's amazing to watch him control the game, he almost never coughs up the puck but he's extremely adept at forcing his opponents to do so.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Wow 36, yes he is a magician with puck. It is going to be harder to value him now. Remember him taking over from Federov, just seemed like yesterday.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yeah I know what you mean, even when he was in his prime he was a bit 1-dimensional in my multi-cat fantasy leagues too (no hits, blocked shots or PIMs) so now that the pts are in decline it makes it harder to justify.
    He's sort of followed a trajectory not unlike Federov for Detroit, big scoring numbers earlier in his career but evolving into a excellent all-around player. If you watch him play now, it's amazing to watch him control the game, he almost never coughs up the puck but he's extremely adept at forcing his opponents to do so.
    His skills are still otherworldly. Sadly they don't seem to show up as regularly on scoresheets. I wonder if something similar happened to Yzerman in the latter years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Wow 36, yes he is a magician with puck. It is going to be harder to value him now. Remember him taking over from Federov, just seemed like yesterday.
    That's the thing, he seems to be in most top 25 lists, and it may not be warranted any more
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im a huge Wings fan and I can only think of one league that Ive ever owned Datsyuk in. Pretty much every year he gets snagged WAY too early (I play in a lot of leagues with SOG and hits) and if anything, I will take Zberg when it makes sense. He's still my favorite player to watch, hands down, but his fantasy value is that of a 60 point guy because of injuries and multi cat ability.

Dobber Sports Master

All great elite talent diminishes with time, but it is hard to believe Datsyuk will given the fact that he is still making plays like the one above against the Bruins this year in the playoffs. However, if I had a shot at him in a multi-cat league draft, there are other guys I would be taking before him who might not normally get higher consideration. Guys like Jeff Carter or Brandon Dubinsky maybe.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Im a huge Wings fan and I can only think of one league that Ive ever owned Datsyuk in. Pretty much every year he gets snagged WAY too early (I play in a lot of leagues with SOG and hits) and if anything, I will take Zberg when it makes sense. He's still my favorite player to watch, hands down, but his fantasy value is that of a 60 point guy because of injuries and multi cat ability.
    Totally agree. He's still a fun guy to watch, we now need to separate his on ice ability from the box score.