Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Forum Infraction Policy

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: New Forum Infraction Policy

LMAO...gee I wonder who left me this?

Dobber Sports Stud

The policy is a good idea. I don't get why you're closing threads though. That just seems to be punishing everyone for the acts of a small minority. For example, you just closed the thread about the twitter comments regarding Subban, even though you just had two posters post perfectly sensible and pertinent comments. It's not the first time this has happened. Just cause one guy chose to act like a clown a few days back, shouldn't mean the rest of us can't have adult conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The policy is a good idea. I don't get why you're closing threads though. That just seems to be punishing everyone for the acts of a small minority. For example, you just closed the thread about the twitter comments regarding Subban, even though you just had two posters post perfectly sensible and pertinent comments. It's not the first time this has happened. Just cause one guy chose to act like a clown a few days back, shouldn't mean the rest of us can't have adult conversations.
    That one was closed cuz it was talked out and nothing more needed to be said. Those threads are always potential time bombs.So it was at a point where it was safe to end the discussion.

...that's my guess, of course.
    @SmittysRant

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Should I keep open the post from 1925 about prohibition, too? Let threads die man!

I would have closed that thread, infraction policy or not. Any time I see a thread brought back to life a week after it was dead I generally find a reason to close it. Start a new thread if the topic is dear to you. The best time to close a thread is on a nice sensible note. In fact, if it ended in a contraversial note, I would have felt the need to either delete the contraversy and close it, or sit and wait until the inevitable back-and-forths end and then a sensible, quiet post ends it.

Edit - and just to be CLEAR: I close about one thread every month or two. That pace won't change. I closed a thread that needed closing, no need to read more into it. It was a lightning rod that I carefully removed from the kindling.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

There's a difference between letting threads die and you killing a thread by closing it while people are still actively engaged in a conversation. I very honestly don't get why you'd want to close active threads on a forum - and I sure don't get why that's a question deserving of a face palm. But hey, it's your site, your rules.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    Can't wait until guys start getting themselves banned...oh, joy-gasm!!
    We need a poll predicting the first suspension.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    We need a poll predicting the first suspension.
    Prime candidate

daylight
    daylight
    daylight

some other guys

Dobber Sports Master

There is a risk in having an infraction system, but this little site has done very well to be a civilized place so as not to need it. More and more new folks with no understanding of what is expected and tolerated here makes things very difficult. 6 years ago you could tell someone to **** off as everyone knew each other really well and had a basic and mutual respect for each other. I'm really keen to see that return. No one wants to be censored, but we cannot have anarchy let loose by folks looking to start trouble.

It takes everyone to continue the Dobberhockey culture. It aint gonna live on unless we all start helping out. If you see someone acting out of order.... politely let them know that its not welcome. If you agree with someone stating that certain behaviour/language is not welcome, politely say so in the thread. If you get a response that is out of line, do not continue to engage the offender. Let a mod know so they can have a word as well. I dont expect it to be all Sunday church language, but it doesn't have to reach a new low either.

Personally, I think the infraction subjects give a lot of leeway and I believe they are created with that in mind. This is our place as well as Darryl's. We all should be responsible for maintaining it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Shelf View Post
    Pretty good system, you basically have to be a complete tard for 10 days to get banned
    It's funny that it's in the thread about the new infraction policy, but i think it's pretty much accepted nowadays that the word "tard" or "******" is offensive and ableist. If you don't believe me, here's an article in the new york times. Are usages of words like this going to count as an infraction? Personally I believe they should. Will the moderators be watching this stuff themselves are should we use the 'report post' icon?
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Ace

I think turd works better, personally.

And if we start getting into feces-rights, that would be shitty.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    I think turd works better, personally.

And if we start getting into feces-rights, that would be shitty.
    I see what you did there! Clever!

Dobber Sports Deity

Probably not a bad idea to bump this back near the top of everyones "new posts" lists in case some have forgotten its around, and why its here.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

As for how the mods handle this, might I suggest that you guys remove the irrelevant posts and let threads continue constructively? Closing Coyote's thread was completely unnecessary. I would just have removed the silly flamewar posts and told the involved parties to lay off or they're suspended or whatever. Then let the thread continue for the people who feel like actually having a constructive discussion.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Master

That's a good comment. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Because if you mods use the soft delete, the posts should disappear for us regular users, but mods and admins can still see them. If you still need them for evidence or whatever.
    GO WINGS!