Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Players who's value has DECREASED due to playoff performance

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Players who's value has DECREASED due to playoff performance

In case you haven't seen it yet, Tom Collins (aka newfcollins on the forums here) has a solid piece on the main Dobber page about players who have seen a bump in their value do to a strong playoff performance.

Lets take this the other way. I am wondering who you think has seen a drop in their value due to a poor playoff performance so far.

I will start it off with my top 3 right now. I am sure there will be a few more added but these are a few guys who stand out to me.

1. Thomas Vanek - This guy is a UFA at seasons end and is simply laying an egg these playoffs. Why they haven't scratched him and put him up in the press box is a head scratcher to me. Brutal showing.

2. Ryan Miller - Brought in to be the "answer" to St Louis' goaltending issues (???) and really just wasn't good enough. This trade is looking like a real stinker for STL. He will still get top dollar as a UFA, but I certainly don't think he did much to bolster his value after this playoff performance.

3. Anders Lindback - Another FA at seasons end. He was given an golden opportunity with the Bishop injury and simply wasn't good enough. Every game he played in during these playoffs was a shaky performance and was chased to the point he lost his job. His future is certainly questionable right now.

There's three to get the thread going. Who do you think dropped the ball these playoffs when could have / should have been better.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Players who's value has DECREASED due to playoff performance

Antti Niemi could make this.

Although he is still under contract. So not sure if that plays into what you're looking for
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Ace

Rick Nash, had the rangers lost last round, could have been there.
    But now people are realizing that he was just massively unlucky.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy1672 View Post
    Antti Niemi could make this.

Although he is still under contract. So not sure if that plays into what you're looking for
    Absolutely. I am simply asking who you think has seen their overall value diminish due to a poor playoff performance. My list just happen to include three guys who will be looking for new deals this offseason.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Brad Marchand - another lackluster playoff year
    David Krejci - Other years he has been dynamite in the playoffs, however this year was brutal.
    Gustav Nyquist - stretching a bit here, but he never showed up in the Bruins series.
    Jonas Hiller - His situation was so erratic, so strange what went down there in Anaheim.
    Matt Moulson - Not the impression I'd like to have going into UFA
    Marin Havlat - hahaha just joking his value is already in the ground.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Master

Vanek. Vanek. Vanek. He is a streaky player, but right now I don't see a lot of emotion.

For anyone on the Sharks, they always come back as regular season beasts so I'll exclude them.

Miller didn't do himself any favours so I would agree with his inclusion. Was Stamkos the first glimpse of full-time life without St.Louis? I don't completely buy that his leg was still bothering him.. but for the mental impact,, ya never know. I'll still say he'll be solid next year, but perhaps not 95-100 pts worth of solid.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

Looking at key UFA's who were expected to have a big playoffs:

Hiller- played himself out of any shot he had in re-signing with the Ducks.
    Miller- did not play like a top-5 goalie in front of a Defense that is arguably the best in the game.
    Vanek- was great during the regular season with Tavares and got red hot once landing in Montreal
    Iginla- didn't kill his value because he still looked serviceable with decent point totals but didn't add to his stock.

Now for 2 absolute studs whose playoff performance caused me to think slightly less of them for the first time:
    Chara- showed his age for the first time as far as I've concerned. Wasn't able to clear the crease and cause havoc at the level he has in the past; and
    Crosby- still the best player in the world but combining his last two post seasons he hasn't brought his A-game
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Looking at key UFA's who were expected to have a big playoffs:

Hiller- played himself out of any shot he had in re-signing with the Ducks.
    Miller- did not play like a top-5 goalie in front of a Defense that is arguably the best in the game.
    Vanek- was great during the regular season with Tavares and got red hot once landing in Montreal
    Iginla- didn't kill his value because he still looked serviceable with decent point totals but didn't add to his stock.

Now for 2 absolute studs whose playoff performance caused me to think slightly less of them for the first time:
    Chara- showed his age for the first time as far as I've concerned. Wasn't able to clear the crease and cause havoc at the level he has in the past; and
    Crosby- still the best player in the world but combining his last two post seasons he hasn't brought his A-game
    Yeah good catch. Changing of the guard in the BOS. Also wonder how much Seidenberg would have helped carry the load. But the young kids seem to be growing up.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Deity

I was wondering if someone would name Crosby on their list.

Good call.

Dobber Sports Guru

Damn it, you're stealing my idea for next week. Now I'll have to come up with a whole new topic.

Here are some of my thoughts of guys not yet mentioned (except Crosby):

I was thinking Crosby, but I don't think his value has been impacted at all. He'll still be drafted first overall in most one-year leagues, and it's not like you could get him for cheaper than you could before the playoffs.

Desharnais and MaxPac haven't done much for Montreal.

Ray Whitney pretty much sealed his fantasy hockey career, even if he does come back for one more season (I think he was a healthy scratch for at least one of the games). So did David Legwand.

James Neal had just four points. I know people like to blame Crosby, but Neal was horrible for most playoff pools.

No one's really been mentioning him, but Andrei Markov has just five points so far, despite playing a ton of power play time and a ton of even strength ice time.

Mike Richards has just five points. He doesn't seem to be himself.

Lecavalier didn't show much in the first round.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's so hard to gauge, especially in situations where players only played one series.

Dobber Sports Guru

Selanne. He won't be worth anything next year.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Master

I think Ryan Miller is on the top of the List. He went into the playoffs cold, and left them in an icebox.

As far as forwards go, I agree with Moulson, Vanek, Neal and Nash. But what about Ryan Callahan? Zero points, albeit in 4 games, doesn't bode we'll for this FA. Was invisible in the series vs. Montreal.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Out of curiosity is this question in terms of fantasy value or real life value?
    If we're talking fantasy, personally I don't put much stock in the playoffs; case in point, Bryan Bickell. Players values can fluctuate significantly in a series because of strategic play, match ups etc.

In terms of real life...
    1. Newfcollins picked a good one in Mike Richards. He basically plays like a zombie.
    2. Axe also made a good call with Lindback - the guy has been a disaster ever since he came to TB. The rise of Gudlevskis and the crossing of Vasilevski spells the end of Lindback in TB.
    3. Johan Franzen - 2 assists in 5 games, almost 19 mins/game. He had a great stretch in March but he has derailed quickly.
    4. Jakob Silfverberg - 2 goals in 13 games, 15 mins/game. Eeek.

Dobber Sports Stud

I would hazard to say that just about any player still on the Sharks could be viewed as having at least a poor start to next season. Big Joe alone was a -6 with 3 points in 7 games. Yes he will be a top assist guy but you have wonder if he might be trying to save himself for the playoffs when stretch drive time comes.

Coburn was exposed as a pylon by the speed of NY, then again does he have value in fantasy ? I know his skating/speed values in APBA should take a serious hit

Scuderi was invisible

Steve Ott wasn't up to the task apparently, neither was Derek Roy

RJ Umberger took 3 shots in 4 games, then again he averaged 12 minutes a game
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.