Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ovi Injury

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Ovi Injury

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Yeah, screw the fact that it's the nationally funded youth programs that makes these guys what they are. Let's just look at it the most short-sighted way possible, because the NHL is all that matters. Sorry, but your comment is just stupid.
    Your response is silly. I get your sentiment but there's a difference between amateur and professional sports, is there not? Nationally funded youth programs are great. And if a player chooses to make a donation to his youth hockey program when he starts making millions of dollars as a professional, that's a great thing. Some players (and I suspect many) offer their money and time (as a speaker, motivator, or guest coach) to the teams who helped pave their way.

But, like it or not, professional sports is a business. NHL teams invest many of millions of dollars in these players and make it so they can retire at a "young" age and live a life of financial security. I don't think it's too much to ask that these same players limit the risk of serious injury during the offseason.

I'm not talking about exercising, hiking or riding a bike. There's no need for people to start being outlandish. Some pro contracts are already written which prohibit players from skydiving, water skiing, riding motorcycles and the like. Eric Lindros was not permitted to water ski per his contract with the Flyers. I don't see anything wrong with contracts stating the only competitive hockey an NHL player can engage in must occur in the NHL.

Of course if a player doesn't feel comfortable sacrificing International tournaments they have every right to play in Europe and not sign in the NHL. And it's not just a hockey thing. If I'm the Indianapolis Colts, I don't want Andrew Luck taking head shots during the offseason, playing in a full contact, collegiate, alumni game just to "support the team who has helped get him there." Playing a full contact sport, statistically-speaking, is probably far more career-threatening than skydiving, water skiing, riding a motorcycle or a race car.

And I agree 100% with doulos - The Worlds are a complete joke. As for the Olympics, we all have our own opinions, but I feel professionals shouldn't be permitted - the Olympics should be for amateurs IMO. That is debatable of course, but that's my take.

And, hopefully Ovechkin is alright. Good news on the update.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

You obviously think that money is all that matters. That is not the case for everyone, especially not European hockey players that have been fostered by the national programs. No, not everything is a business. You obviously don't understand.

Dobber Sports Legend

You obviously think that money is all that matters. That is not the case for everyone, especially not European hockey players that have been fostered by the national programs. No, not everything is a business. You obviously don't understand.
    Again, I agree with your sentiment. But I'd agree with it wholeheartedly if players didn't "hold out" so they could get a 5-year, $40 million contract instead of a 5-year, $5 million contract. Players at the NHL level become big business, and sometimes it stinks. It would also be great if all the players told their owners they wanted a 40% pay cut in salary if it meant tickets would be reduced enough for the average family of four to attend a few games a year. When it comes to the NHL, owners and players are all about big business. That's part of the game that many fans dislike.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I'm talking more about to whom the players are beholden. What they got from the national programs can't be measured in money to most of them and that's a strong bond. The camaraderie, the development, the support, the friendship. That's what keeps them coming back. It's always been quite obvious to me that European players place a stronger pride on playing for your own country compared to the US and Canada. Not saying that North Americans don't take pride in that, but it's more of a no-brainer to Europeans. They go to those development camps together and it moulds them.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/kcarrera/status/468540178211303424

#Caps release statement they’re “confident” Alex Ovechkin will be ready for the start of training camp. Team says the injury requires rest.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

i guess they are confident he will not tax himself too hard

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Banned

Wait so has anyone heard his actual status yet?
    I'm getting two very different stories on his health between what the Caps are saying and what Russia is saying

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm talking more about to whom the players are beholden. What they got from the national programs can't be measured in money to most of them and that's a strong bond. The camaraderie, the development, the support, the friendship. That's what keeps them coming back. It's always been quite obvious to me that European players place a stronger pride on playing for your own country compared to the US and Canada. Not saying that North Americans don't take pride in that, but it's more of a no-brainer to Europeans. They go to those development camps together and it moulds them.
    I can't speak for Americans, but Canadians take immense pride in playing for their country, but only in events that have perceived public value. The World Jrs is a good example of that. The Olympics also. The problem isn't that Canadians don't want to play for their country, it's that their country doesn't care about the WHC for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum in other threads.

There are ways to fix this problem, but as it stands right now, less and less North American players are going to play in the event because it's just not important to them or to the fans over here and it's not worth the risk. The Canadian and American rosters are a joke even now and I can't imagine what they are going to look like in 5-10 years.

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Europeans grow up thinking that the Olympics and WHC are everything. North Americans grow up thinking that the Stanley Cup (and more recently) the Olympics are everything. European club teams don't pay their players like NHL players, and their is likely an expectation from European clubs that players play for their country at the WHC if asked.

Look at Sweden's roster this year - only 8 NHL players on it and the biggest names are arguably Nyqvist and Backlund. Where are all the big names?

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/statu...94142791127040

Alexander Ovechkin is taking part in #teamRussia practice in a full gear via @plysenkovRUS #Caps #IHWC
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i guess they are confident he will not tax himself too hard
    this is the perfect excuse for him to do nothing this off season.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis