Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If another manager enquired about one of your players...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: If another manager enquired about one of your players...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Shelf View Post
    I didn't assume 'for the right price' was spelled out on your block, I realize its just want you are thinking. I simply find it redundant to list players on your block with that mindset because most GM's will move anyone for the right price to begin with.

When I put players on my block I'm thinking I want to get rid of them, for the right price goes without saying. Someone throws out a Lowball? Just say no.

Here is example of a real recent trade I made copied and pasted word for word with players/names removed to preserve anonymity.

In an ideal league that would be great. In any league I have been in for the past 30 years the trade block has meant what you hate, and me too... I'll trade x if you way overpay. Ha, the message board says I need to enter more than three characters to make this reply. Keeping on, and on on on on on on on, getting frustrated""........

Why did I show this? Because to me this how trade blocks should ideally work. When this particular manager in the trade above updates his block it means he wants a player gone...same as I do. In fact, in this league, there are 5 or 6 managers who when they update their block...it's "let's get er done" time. Deals get made. There are no lowballs because you normally get competing offers.

On the other hand, in the same league, there are a handful of managers whose trade blocks I don't even bother looking at anymore because they don't seem to know what they want and are too worried about playing 'poker' with their intentions, or are not even serious about trading.

So to go back to your original question, I think you want to be in the first group and list players on block you want shipped, worry less about who offers what when and simply let it be know you'll move anyone for the right price.

My 2 cents...Good luck!

In an ideal league that would be great. In any league I have been in for the past 30 years the trade block has meant what you hate, and me too... I'll trade x if you way overpay. Ha, the message board says I need to enter more than three characters to make this reply. Keeping on, and on on on on on on on, getting frustrated""........

The Wolverine

I appreciate that. But the difference is in this first line:

"Me: Hey there, was just checking out your trade block and I'm somewhat interested in player X. Would any combination of players in my trade block be of interest to you in a deal for X?"

You asked about a player and added that info about your own trade block. That is the context I'd like to hear from the other manager, instead of just 'what do you want for player x?'. Sure that manager has a trade block, but it's not always a 'look at my block vs look at your block and see what fits'. There are always other options so I would appreciate if the enquiring manager would offer up some info with the initial message. I'm not going to assume that those players on his block are the only ones available.

Case in point, in a recent discussion (which instigated this thread) this manager first just asked the question: what do you want for player x? In response I gave him a bit of context (though no exact players) and said you can make an offer. Shortly thereafter, I decided to enquire about player y, which he said no for specific reasons. Then he ended up offering player z, who is not on his block, which wasn't enough. So, I had no idea who he would be willing to deal, nor did I know what his situation/focus/context is to help with formulating a deal. If he started with 'I'd be looking to part with this type of player or this is my situation' and asked then I'd have something to go by and probably could have avoided those two attempts.

Well there are ways blocks ideally work but depending on the rest of the league you really don't know how people use them. Also, I've just joined this league so I don't know most of the managers and their tendencies etc yet. Most people just add to a block and that's it, little or no context. So when I start getting enquiries, that context is important. My block has some context, so in future I should expect a bit more info coming back. Not all managers are this way, though. Some are better than others so it'll be a feeling out process.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Heck, I make no sence!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    ...you have a piece that would fill my hole...
    That's what she said.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

Man this is a great thread. I think the one part of fantasy sports I've always been weak at is trading. I have a difficult time constructing the right deals. I'm not afraid to overpay sometimes if the deal is really helping me somewhere that I really need it but I don't want to get robbed all the time either. Then sometimes I think that I really overvalue my guys and that scares people off.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I agree it goes both ways, but as the owner of those players, I don't necessarily know exactly what I want to accomplish with those players
    Then why are they on the block?

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Then why are they on the block?
    Because as I said in a later post that I am willing to deal them but the enquiring manager's context helps determine what I could look for in return. If someone just says 'what do you want in return' without any accompanying info then it could leave me guessing on who I could target, if there's anyone of interest. If that manager gave me context, then I could use it to consider whom would be a good return for that player, as well as based on my own needs. Two different managers asking for the same player could result in two different types of return.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    they simply ask: what do you want for 'this player', when you haven't had any prior discussion.
    LOL.
    I know this "guy" all too well... been dealing with him for years.
    And by "dealing", I actually mean dealing.

I usually do one of two things.

i) If I have time, I look at his roster and throw back what I want. If I don't have time, I'll tell him I'll look over his roster tomorrow or next day and let him know.
    ii) If I just don't want to trade the guy, then I tell him why I don't want to trade the guy. This guy, I'll call him "BobX", has recently asked me about an RFA player and I don't like to trade players if I don't know their salaries for upcoming seasons, so I just told him that.

It's something you have to get used to.
    The style "what do you want for ____" is advantage to the asking team.
    And I've long-commented that it is the RIGHT approach for an asking team.

As for the "asked team"... I don't know... your own preference on how to return serve! LOL.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In those situations I usually tell them to make me an offer to gauge how serious they are and go from there.
    I know this might not be true for most leagues but in the keeper that I am in; 90% of the managers hate putting the first offer out and always seem to be afraid of making a mistake.

Usually the conversation goes like this:

TeamA: So yeah interested in Player X
    Me: What is your offer?
    TeamA: You give me one.
    Me: Player Z and Y for X
    TeamA: Too much give me another.

Frustrating as hell as basically have you negotiate against yourself. But anyways enough of my rant

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZero View Post
    In those situations I usually tell them to make me an offer to gauge how serious they are and go from there.
    I know this might not be true for most leagues but in the keeper that I am in; 90% of the managers hate putting the first offer out and always seem to be afraid of making a mistake.

Usually the conversation goes like this:

TeamA: So yeah interested in Player X
    Me: What is your offer?
    TeamA: You give me one.
    Me: Player Z and Y for X
    TeamA: Too much give me another.

Frustrating as hell as basically have you negotiate against yourself. But anyways enough of my rant
    I'm in 5 leagues and they are all pretty much like this. Half the GM's never even bother updating their On The Block page more than once a year, if that. Very few trades even happen anymore, and most offers you do get are asking you to seriously overpay.

I have good rosters in all of them, but I'm thinking of dropping a couple since its so hard to get any deals done.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ace

I dunno, some GMs get annoyed or stand-offish if you inquire about their players as opposed to sending an offer, but to me it makes perfect sense. Every league is particular in how it works, and every team is in a different position as far as needs and as far as working around the constraints of that league. For instance, in most leagues if someone just came in and offered me 5 good, smaller pieces for one big piece, I would say no, because I just don't have room to take on extra bodies. Well, if that GM had just sent me a What are you looking for for big piece, I could have told him, I want an upgrade here, or I'd like to package him with so and so for this, and so on. It's not him being lazy, really, it's more him actually trying to find out what sort of offer might interest me instead of just guessing and maybe ending up way off base.

So, not sure why GMs get annoyed by it, if it's done right and then followed up on. I prefer that to a thoughtless offer I would never accept as a starting point, assuming I'm going to want to haggle for a week to end up in the middle somewhere. Why not find out what I think would make my team better, and find a way it fits with yours, if it does at all?
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Expert

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...o-help-you-win

This was a column I wrote a few years back.

All I can say is think win/win! Look for deals that will benefit both parties. Look at what they need, look at what you need and meet in the middle. Winning teams are usually built by making multiple small improvements. Very rarely will there be a homerun trade that singlehandedly wins you a championship.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ccsitdown View Post
    I dunno, some GMs get annoyed or stand-offish if you inquire about their players as opposed to sending an offer, but to me it makes perfect sense. Every league is particular in how it works, and every team is in a different position as far as needs and as far as working around the constraints of that league. For instance, in most leagues if someone just came in and offered me 5 good, smaller pieces for one big piece, I would say no, because I just don't have room to take on extra bodies. Well, if that GM had just sent me a What are you looking for for big piece, I could have told him, I want an upgrade here, or I'd like to package him with so and so for this, and so on. It's not him being lazy, really, it's more him actually trying to find out what sort of offer might interest me instead of just guessing and maybe ending up way off base.

So, not sure why GMs get annoyed by it, if it's done right and then followed up on. I prefer that to a thoughtless offer I would never accept as a starting point, assuming I'm going to want to haggle for a week to end up in the middle somewhere. Why not find out what I think would make my team better, and find a way it fits with yours, if it does at all?
    Exactly. If done right, it's not a bad approach. In one of my leagues, my team is light on defense production. So whenever someone shoots me a message inquiring about a major player of mine, asking what I'd want in return, I tell them I'd need a return involving a defenseman that can slip into my roster, both production-wise and cap-wise.

The rare good GM will continue the discussion from there. The bad ones, IMO, will just respond with "Do any of my dmen work?". And I'll look over their roster, and detail which ones I do and don't like, and for what reasons, and maybe the discussion ends there because the GM lacks the pieces to acquire who they want from me. And in the cases where they do have the necessary pieces, they're generally unwilling to move pieces that are valuable enough to get who they want, or they offer a package that is entirely unfitting for my needs, despite me having just recently explained them.

So many GMs just ask vague questions, making you, the proposed GM, do all the work through the negotiations. And it's almost as annoying as when people shoot me PMs with lowball offers right off the bat. After noticing patterns, I generally refuse to consider trades with those GMs, which, sadly, has cut down my list of trading partners significantly. I just figure, if I'm going to make a detailed response about another GM's roster, ask about their team needs and direction, state my own roster's direction and needs, and what I'd require in return for X player, the other GM can put in some damn work, certainly more than ten to twenty words. And I know I'm not perfect, I sometimes forget about people's trade proposals, but those ones are, again, usually frustrating lowball offers, or vague continual questions that I don't have the energy to keep answering without a valuable response in return. If someone offers me a fair deal that clearly acknowledges my team needs, I'm generally going to accept. I don't get almost any of these sorts of offers or inquiries. So I rarely trade.

I don't get, if people want to trade, why they wouldn't want a deal that favours both sides, or why they wouldn't think of putting in a little effort in research to ensure they don't annoy the GM they're contacting.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Deity

For me, when someone posts a trade block that tells me they are looking to move those players.

If I see someone I like on someones block, I will touch base and if they don't mention their "plan" for moving these guys, I will usually ask about their teams goal in moving these guys. If they reply and say they are competing that tells me they are looking for guys off an regular roster for them. If they say something about rebuilding then they are probably looking for prospects/picks. I hate throwing an offer blindly so I will ask before just spewing out names. I hate guessing so I will ask them if they see anyone that fits the bill off of my roster and go from there.

If I put guys up on my block and someone asks me what I am looking for I will do them the same curtosy and tell them my goal. I will also expect them to come to me with an offer, I won't make the first move. In my eyes, I have already made the first move simply by updating my trade block and tell everyone in the league that my doors are open for business.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."