Thread: Pick my Keepers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Pick my Keepers

Team and league in sig. Now that some new info has come out regarding a few of my players, I thought I'd see who the Dobberites think I should keep. I should mention that our league will be expanding to include two UTIL spots next season which can be used by F or D (not G). We need to select 12 keepers for next season.

Definite Keepers:

Crosby
    Hall
    Karlsson
    Lundqvist
    Quick
    Pacioretty
    Hedman
    Gudas
    McDonagh

That is 9 of 12 that I am pretty much 100% on. Some might not agree with Gudas and McDonagh, but they are very valuable stat-stuffers in my format and players that I have invested in long-term. I've stuck with McD for years now, and Gudas was brought up from the farm and needs to be protected or I lose him. I made some trades at the deadline which make my D a major strength of my team, I'd I'd like to continue with that moving forward.

That leaves 3 remaining spots, 1 of which should probably be a goalie as they are extremely valuable in my league and I won't have a shot at redrafting a decent #3 option. I traded my first 2 picks in the redraft in my deal for Crosby and won't select till the end of the 3rd round when goalies will be scooped.

I need to pick 3 of the following 5 to keep:

Hartnell
    Burns (as a Dman)
    Mason
    Lehner
    Callahan

Thoughts?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Pick my Keepers

I'd go with Hartnell, Burns and Lehner. I know Mason had a bounce-back season, but I have more faith in Lehner long-term. Any way you can move Mason for a second or even first rounder? (Though I guess you've probably tried to make some kind of deal already).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, I would assume you should be able to get something of value for Mason if goalies are so valuable. At least another pick somewhere.

I would go Burns/Lehner/Callahan of your choices, but why not consider Semin? Don't think he has a chance to bounce back and put up more points next season?

Dobber Sports Stud

I will go with Boooo-urns, Callahan and Lehner as well.

Dobber Sports Deity

Hartnell, Mason and Callahan for me

I realize everyone loves Lehner for his upside but he's still a backup this year and if he goes out and has another season this year like he just did, no way Ottawa is handing the keys to the rig over to him. Mason is the clear cut starter on that Philly team and even though he's a bit sketchy at times, theres no way I could justify cutting free a bonafide starter for a backup.

With your league setup, I'd be keeping both bruisers in Callahan and Hartnell.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Semin, Mason, Burns for me.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hartnell, Callahan and Mason.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I'd go with Hartnell, Burns and Lehner. I know Mason had a bounce-back season, but I have more faith in Lehner long-term. Any way you can move Mason for a second or even first rounder? (Though I guess you've probably tried to make some kind of deal already).
    Hey PD, a most managers refuse to pay up for Mason either because they aren't sold, or due to the fact that I got him for free off the WW a week into the season. I do have a couple of managers who are desperate for a G interested, but I'd have to package Mason with another player to get a keeper-worthy player in return IMO.

The manager most interested in Mason and most likely to actually make a deal has the following players that I would be interested in: Neal, E. Kane, and Kunitz. No one else really interests me, and I'd have to send a significant piece the other way along with Mason to get any of those players. Definitely looking into dealing Mason, but I only have one realistic trade partner who also traded away early round picks and does not have any prospects he is willing to part with. Gonna see what I can swing in a 2-for-1 involving Mason, but the most likely scenario is that I will have to just drop one of Mason or Lehner.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like hartnell burns and lehner. But I'd want to capitalize on burns going back to d and try to do a burns and Callahan for Dubinsky if you could.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Ya, I would assume you should be able to get something of value for Mason if goalies are so valuable. At least another pick somewhere.

I would go Burns/Lehner/Callahan of your choices, but why not consider Semin? Don't think he has a chance to bounce back and put up more points next season?
    Kept Semin going into this year and he burned me. When in doubt, I always like to go with the stronger multi-cat player, and Semin doesn't do a lot in those areas compared to the other guys I'm considering keeping. He's a constant injury headache, and doesn't show up for large stretches. He also has zero value in my league and I dropped him a couple of times during the fantasy playoffs and no one snagged him. Semin would be easily redraftable in my league, most managers hate him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Hartnell, Mason and Callahan for me

I realize everyone loves Lehner for his upside but he's still a backup this year and if he goes out and has another season this year like he just did, no way Ottawa is handing the keys to the rig over to him. Mason is the clear cut starter on that Philly team and even though he's a bit sketchy at times, theres no way I could justify cutting free a bonafide starter for a backup.

With your league setup, I'd be keeping both bruisers in Callahan and Hartnell.
    This is the way I was leaning. I'm a huge Callahan fan, so his hadsome multi-cat contributions aside, I have a bit of an attachment there......Callahan has been a part of a few of my championship teams. A lot will depend on where he re-signs as a UFA.

At the time of posting, I was leaning towards Mason, Hartnell, and Callahan with Burns very close behind. The thing is, I think that there is a very good chance Burns ends up back at F at some point next season, which would make him quite a bit more valuable than Callahan. I also think Callahan is criminally under-rated in a lot of leagues, and figure there is a decent chance I'd be able to redraft him. Whenever I have included him in any trade negotiations, no one is ever interested.

I'd go with Callahan, Hartnell and Lehner. Hartnell and Callahan are must owns for your multi-cat stats. Lehner's season isn't as bad as the numbers indicate, other than a really bad stretch of about 9 games or so. Have a good look at his 1st 20 games and last 7 - you'll find his numbers are actually pretty good. I think Anderson is gone by the trade deadline, leaving the crease for Lehner. Lehner thrives on competition and a heavy workload.

I'd also try packaging Semin + Mason for E. Kane or Burns and Mason for E. Kane. Kane is bound to have a better year and he is also a multi-cat beast.

Dobber Sports Ace

Mason, starting goalie right now
    Burns, going back to d then maybe back to forward
    Callahan, bounce back year
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree with you Shiv... As for Burns...try and move him now sighting the very much Buffy light make up for him. But I think there's lots if D I'd take over Burns as a D...but to keep him and wonder about so many unknown factors which may or may not impact his value...let someone else shoulder the risk reward. I like your 3...although I've never been a cally fan...if he stays in Tampa...I'd keep him!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd go Hartnell, Callahan and Mason

I think the first two are easy picks, Burns is heading back to D next year, so he just simply isn't as valuable there, especially given that D is a big strength for your team. There's also the possibility of re-drafting him.

Mason vs. Lehner is a tougher pick, I like Lehners upside, but as stated above, he isn't their starter. Mason is the starter in Philly, and you won't have to rely on him as your goalies are stacked. Mason makes for a real nice #3 where you can play the matchups. If he starts out on fire next year you can likely deal him. In order for Lehner to gain substantial value, Anderson has to falter, and Lehner has to play exceptional behind some pretty porous D.