Thread: Letang or Neal - If PIT has to move one

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Letang or Neal - If PIT has to move one

I don't know if I like the idea of moving either player right now. Since their value is certainly lower than it could be. That said, if management demands change and you're a GM that needs to trade one of these assets out, which way do you lean?

Offensive D-man (who you might deem replaceable with Niskanen evolving)

Star Winger (provides great results, but is tied very closely to Malkin - hard to say what he is in a vacuum)

Which way do you lean? Or do you deal both
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Letang or Neal - If PIT has to move one

Letang... if somebody will take him.
    He's not a great overall defenseman, not for his salary.

In fact, if you were a fly on the wall among the owners rooms... this would be one of my big criticism's of Shero.
    I've watched enough of Letang, he makes too many mistakes in important games.
    I commented about his play in the playoffs last year - said PIT shouldn't pay him too much... they did... big mistake.
    He was one of my easy "rule-outs" for defensemen on Team Canada.

(In PIT's defense, maybe they didn't have enough confidence in guys like Martin & Niskanen - who I've always liked, both of them.)

I think they'll get better return on Neal, so I think he might be moved.
    I'm not sure NHL GMs (if they value players anywhere close to how I see them) want any piece of Letang... not only is his game questionable in important match-ups, but the injuries.
    Oh dear.

In summary:
    If they can get $6m of value for Letang ($7.25m hit), they should take it.
    But I think they are more likely to get $6m of value for Neal ($5m hit).

Dobber Sports Deity

If there were to move either of them, I'd think Letang would be the one most likely to go. Expensive contract coming in and it's not like they don't have offensive options blooming in the AHL that can step in and offer some sort of replacebale value for him.

You have to think there would be a few times lining up to talk turkey about Letang and would probably fetch the Pens a sizeable return.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

neal's contract is amazing, and pens have a surplus of D. so if they have to trade one, letang will be the one they seek moving first. i'm sure there are still some teams that could use him. EDM (even though they need a shutdown d more badly), but i think NYI is the best fit. they need a pp qb after losing streit, especially since visnovsky will retire soon. you would think the pens would rather ship letang out west, but i think moving that contract is their highest priority.

neal's contract is just too damn good for them to move. with crosby and malkin on the team, you need as many bargain contracts as possible. i suppose if neal gets them a monster return then sure, but i think it's unlikely.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Trade Proposal:

to VAN: Bylsma, Letang ($7.25m), B.Sutter (RFA)
    to PIT: Kesler ($5m), Garrison ($4.6m)

I'm being a tad silly here by including Bylsma... but picture drawn.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd like them to deal both.

Letang for the reasons above.

Neal because I'm not sure he is worth the trouble. He is largely ineffective without Malkin, takes bad and stupid penalties at inopportune times.

If you could get Kesler+ for Neal (I can see van wanting to run Sedin-Sedin-Neal) would you not do that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Trade Proposal:

to VAN: Bylsma, Letang ($7.25m), B.Sutter (RFA)
    to PIT: Kesler ($5m), Garrison ($4.6m)

I'm being a tad silly here by including Bylsma... but picture drawn.
    If thats what it takes, but damn. I would like to keep Sutter. He's a perfect 3C penalty killer

Banned

Trade Letang if you can, sure Neal needs to stay healthy for once but he's singed to a very friendly cap hit and when he plays he's quite the force on that roster with Malkin

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Letang... if somebody will take him.
    He's not a great overall defenseman, not for his salary.

In fact, if you were a fly on the wall among the owners rooms... this would be one of my big criticism's of Shero.
    I've watched enough of Letang, he makes too many mistakes in important games.
    I commented about his play in the playoffs last year - said PIT shouldn't pay him too much... they did... big mistake.
    He was one of my easy "rule-outs" for defensemen on Team Canada.

(In PIT's defense, maybe they didn't have enough confidence in guys like Martin & Niskanen - who I've always liked, both of them.)

I think they'll get better return on Neal, so I think he might be moved.
    I'm not sure NHL GMs (if they value players anywhere close to how I see them) want any piece of Letang... not only is his game questionable in important match-ups, but the injuries.
    Oh dear.

In summary:
    If they can get $6m of value for Letang ($7.25m hit), they should take it.
    But I think they are more likely to get $6m of value for Neal ($5m hit).
    Great breakdown. That is the one issue with Letang is that we don't really know if he can handle #1 minutes (shutdown time, PK....etec). Playing in PIT really helps to mask things like that. And he's had guys like Martin and to a lesser extent Orpik to help over the past 5 years.

Still, if I'm a team like EDM, desperate for a defender, maybe I'm willing to take on that cap hit. At the very least he is better than what they have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Trade Letang if you can, sure Neal needs to stay healthy for once but he's singed to a very friendly cap hit and when he plays he's quite the force on that roster with Malkin
    Have to wonder if losing Neal would negatively impact Malkin. It pains me to remember his days flanked by Cooke and Talbot
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'd like them to deal both.

Letang for the reasons above.

Neal because I'm not sure he is worth the trouble. He is largely ineffective without Malkin, takes bad and stupid penalties at inopportune times.

If you could get Kesler+ for Neal (I can see van wanting to run Sedin-Sedin-Neal) would you not do that?

- - - Updated - - -

If thats what it takes, but damn. I would like to keep Sutter. He's a perfect 3C penalty killer
    I love the idea of having Kesler with Malkin and Sid. Although VAN will likely be looking for futures to help with their relatively empty prospect system. I don't know if PIT can help them there.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially as the cap continues to rise, having Neal locked up at such a low number right through his prime years is a steal (maybe Shero isn't all that bad after all)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Letang is preferred. Not sold that he is likely to get moved now that his health is an added question mark. This team should have dealt him before the trade dead line, not after. He's not going to be given away, that is for sure.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd move Neal because I think you can get more value out of him and I believe he is a product of Malkin. Not that Letang's stats aren't a product of Pittsburgh but I think his value is as low as ever (coming off a bad, injury plagued season), in a perfect world Letang is moved but I don't think you get anywhere's close to full value for him.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would imagine Pens brass would prefer to move Letang. Too many injuries ... and a literal hole in his heart that isn't going away.