Thread: Weber Trade?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Weber Trade?

My team is way in the basement looking to rebuild;
    I was thinking of trading Weber for a nice group of prospects
    I have one guy that is very interested in Weber and i wanted to get an idea of how much Weber is worth
    It is a multi-cat league (Hits, Blocks,PIMS, etc) also, Defensman points are a category along with overall/combined points and FWD points
    Also, salary cap is in play here where every player follows their NHL salary

My team is as follows:
    Voracek
    Reilly Smith
    Marcus Johansson
    Cam Atkinson
    Mike Richards
    Louis Eriksson
    Colin Wilson
    Ryan Garbutt
    Dorsett
    Clifford

Weber
    Suter
    Gardiner
    Ellis
    Wideman
    Enstrom
    P. Martin
    Tanev

Miller
    Rinne
    Ramo

Pirri
    Ekholm
    Bennett
    Gazdic
    Khoklachev
    Drouin
    Rychel
    Laughton

Malcolm Subban

His Team is as Follows:
    Giroux, Perry, Landeskog, Stamkos, Shaw, McGinn, Couturier, Niederrieter, Nichuskin, Huberdeau, Yakupov, Cizikas, Shattenkirk, Trouba, M. Stone, Vatanen, Gudbransson, Lundquist, Quick, JT Miller, Pageau, Grubauer, Barkov, Strome, A. Lee, Mantha, Shinkaruk, Domi, Teravainen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Weber Trade?

I think you need to get back to ELITE young prospects for Weber.

If I'm hand-picking them from his team, I want Nichuskin & Barkov.
    Looking at his team... he is absolutely STACKED with young talent, so I think you should be allowed to soak him for more if he is looking to shift to established talent.
    Start asking for more - request those TWO and Yakupov or Huberdeau.

If he balks at three, maybe accept Nichu/Barkov/Mantha - that's a pretty decent return in a salary cap league where Weber's salary really devalues his actual value-over-cost.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I want a multi-cat D man back so i was thinking Trouba had to be involved, i was thinking, Trouba+Yakupov+Huberdeau........Also, i probably have to add more but he has that 1st overall pick, he will be taking Ekblad so i wanted to find a way to get that as well

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by RookieInsider View Post
    i was thinking, Trouba+Yakupov+Huberdeau........
    I think you might be shortchanging yourself if you're giving up Weber for those 3. I agree with P7, Nichuskin AND Barkov have to be part of the conversation. Maybe an Anders Lee or El Nino as throw ins would be good for you as well. Weber is top 5 d-man and an absolute multicat stud, milk him for all he's worth.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I want a multi-cat D man back so i was thinking Trouba had to be involved, i was thinking, Trouba+Yakupov+Huberdeau........Also, i probably have to add more but he has that 1st overall pick, he will be taking Ekblad so i wanted to find a way to get that as well
    1. Do. not. pay. for multi-cat defensemen. New ones emerge every year and you should just grab them for free.
    In Hits/Blocks/PIM league, these guys emerge every year. A few years ago it was guys like Clayton Stoner and Theo Peckham. Recently, guys like Radko Gudas. Even a Kevan Millar or Adam McQuaid is pretty good. But don't PAY for them.

2. That said, in HIT/Blocks/PIM leagues, use your defense for those slots and stack your forwards for the offensive stats.
    For this reason, you should get back prospects that are forwards.

With most defensemen, they are going to cap out around 25min/game.
    Their coaches are going to put them out for even-strength shifts as often as possible.
    If they have any offensive skill, this also means that they will get a big chunk of PP time.

Where are the BLOCKS... many of them are Short-Handed time... and once a coach is sending his main D out their for ES & PP... perhaps he'll just send out his big D-goons for SH time.
    If you look at Blocks totals around the league, you'll notice that it really doesn't reflect a defenseman's "overall skill" or "overall value".
    Blocks is mostly a function of when the coach sends out a player, how big he is, how many shots his team is likely to give up, and how many he'll get in the way of.
    A guy like Erik Karlsson "could" block shots, but if OTT has four other big D-men to send out instead, they'll send those guys instead - which is what they do.

So... while I like Trouba... I don't feel that paying for a D-man that gets HIT/BLK/PIM is a good strategy.
    Long-term, perhaps WPG moves Enstrom or Buff. Trouba will eat 25min/game as mostly ES/PP... with limited SH time... which will show up as a lower-than-average BLK total.

As a comparison, look at the stats in a 2-for-2 where you pluck the 2nd player off waivers:
    Jakob Silfverberg (waivers-ish forward) + Jacob Trouba
    vs.
    Valeri Nichushkin + Kevan Millar (waiver-ish defenseman)

Personally, I think you'll get more stats, especially HIT/BLK/PIM, out of Combo #2 as a long-term investment.
    My 2 cents.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He has an emotional attachment to Nichuskin and Barkov, he over values them completely, "Untouchable" as he has stated

Dobber Sports Stud

He has an emotional attachment to Nichuskin and Barkov, he over values them completely, "Untouchable" as he has stated
    Yikes, so unless he's willing to move maybe a Giroux and a Landeskog, I personally don't think there's a deal involving Weber worth doing for you with this guy.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was thinking maybe go for Landeskog plus a buy-low throw-in of yakupov or huberdeau. But then maybe that's too much the other direction?
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Pengwin7, thats some good insight, the way i was looking at it was Trouba (hopefully) looking like a future Weber then adding to it with more rookies

Dikoi, His love for Landeskog is even greater, Barkov, Nichuskin and Landeskog are only untouchables

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Pengwin7, thats some good insight, the way i was looking at it was Trouba (hopefully) looking like a future Weber then adding to it with more rookies
    Well... personally, I see across-the-board future NHL defensemen stars becoming valued like offensive linemen in football... they'll get PAID.
    And in salary cap leagues, can you really afford to roster a D-man that is getting $8m/year... but only providing 50pts?
    When you consider spending $10m, that only leaves you $2m... which will maybe fetch you a 40pt forward that gets 0 STP (PPP mostly).

What I'd rather do... is spend $2m on the defenseman that might put up 90% of Weber's HIT/BLK/PIM... and give me maybe a token 25pts.
    Then, I still have $8m to spend on a forward that gets 65pts... and those guys will be plentiful, you can easily trade for this guy with paying a Weber-like return.

So - if you really think Trouba will emerge into a bonafide #1 defenseman, you also have to realize that he will get PAID for it.

I'm just not a fan of having high-priced defensemen in CAP leagues.
    Offensively focused forwards get paid for what they bring... offensively (mostly).
    With forwards, they mostly get paid for their offensive contributions... and, in FANTASY HOCKEY, that means that you get REAL statistics for what they bring.
    With defense, they mostly get paid for their defensive contributions... and, in FANTASY HOCKEY, there isn't always a stat to reflect how well Shea Weber keeps opposing forwards from entering the Nashville defensive zone.

In other words... in cap leagues, you are spending money for stats.
    So make sure the money you spend, results in stats... and you'll see that best with "offensive forwards" and "goon defensemen" (that rack up Blocks, just because they are big and get in lanes).

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That is very true, you bring up a lot of points that really can't be argued :P

Dobber Sports Superstar

Let him know that you are emotionally attached to Weber. Ask him what he is thinking in terms of Weber - what is he willing to give up for stud multi-category D-man.
    I am big Trouba fan, so he should definitely be someone you get back in deal - can also counter that he is behind Buff, enstrom, Bogo.
    Need to find out what he is willing to give up.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Trouba+Yak+Huberdeau+this years 1st overall so Ekblad for Weber
    Worth it? Realistic?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Trouba+Yak+Huberdeau+this years 1st overall so Ekblad for Weber
    Worth it? Realistic?
    You can try it.
    That's four very good prospects... which is way too much (IMO)... in a cap league where Weber's value (statistics) is probably only slightly better than his cost (salary).

I think ultimately you will only get two.
    But always start high in trade talks!!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I could maybe get Trouba+Yak+Ekblad+Nino (Doesn't value Nino that much)