Thread: My Enstrom for His Lupul

Dobber Sports Ace

Default My Enstrom for His Lupul

I'm in need of some forward depth on my team and have a surplus of defenseman. The scoring is weighted in favor of defenseman. He initially offered me Lupul for Josi or Jack Johnson, which I turned down. See signature for scoring specifics.

My roster is as follows:

F - E. Staal, Kessel, Neal, Stepan, M. Koivu, Hornqvist, Anisimov, Dupuis
    D - Karlsson, J. Johnson, Josi, Enstrom, Greene, Maatta, Vatanen, Brodin
    G - Schneider, Scrivens, Harding

Skaters only get 50 games before they have to come off the farm, which is part of the reason Maatta, Vatanen, and Brodin are on my active roster. This has caused my roster to become unbalanced.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: My Enstrom for His Lupul

With Hits/PIMs/SOG scored in your format, I would definitely give a considerable edge in value to Lupul. Pull the trigger, Lups is very underrated in multi-cat / roto scoring formats.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

would tend to agree here with mounD. Lupul is under-rated, and yes he will spend some time on the IR, but so will Enstrom. TE's time is also being chewed into by Trouba as well, so this is a very good move for you.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Master

I think this is smart on your part especially given the glut of dmen you have. My only hesitation is that Lupul gets injured just by looking at the ice. When he plays, he is fine. When he plays...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Genius

Trade one Band-Aid Boy for another? Why not. Lupul is still good in roto leagues with the Hits, SOG, and PIMs, and while Enstrom is weak in those spots he might make up for it with his scoring.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Wolverine

I'm going to have to be one of those people who is a bit pedantic about the facts given a couple replies. This is not a multi cat league, this is a H2H points league, which means that it's only the total points on a weekly basis that matters. Saying that one is strong/weak is a particular category doesn't necessarily tell the whole story since it depends on how much each category influences the total. For example, at a glance hits doesn't look like it has a major influence on the total compared to the more offensive categories. What's more important is understanding their fantasy points on a per game basis and how much of an effect it has on your squad and compared to other players.

That being said, you say it fits your needs so in this case it's a good deal for you. I just want to clarify the type of league we are looking at here.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I'm going to have to be one of those people who is a bit pedantic about the facts given a couple replies. This is not a multi cat league, this is a H2H points league, which means that it's only the total points on a weekly basis that matters. Saying that one is strong/weak is a particular category doesn't necessarily tell the whole story since it depends on how much each category influences the total. For example, at a glance hits doesn't look like it has a major influence on the total compared to the more offensive categories. What's more important is understanding their fantasy points on a per game basis and how much of an effect it has on your squad and compared to other players.

That being said, you say it fits your needs so in this case it's a good deal for you. I just want to clarify the type of league we are looking at here.
    Horrorfan -

You are pretty spot on with your analysis of the league scoring system. Hits, SOG, PIM, etc, are not overly impactful in the point system. To explain it, if Enstrom were to score a PPG in some game, and do noting else for the entire week, his point total would be 10.3 pool points. If Lupul had 15 hits, an assist, was +1, and had 10 SOG, his pool point total for the week would be 10.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Genius

With the scoring favouring defensemen, I might be inclined to turn it down. Is there any chance you could grab someone that's not so injury-prone via trade (even a young gun who hasn't quite put up huge numbers, but looks to soon)? I can see Enstrom putting up a much better season next year, and if he returns to a semblance of his former production, you could end up losing a lot of points.
    It's not a bad deal, because you could certainly use another forward, but if Maata doesn't step right up next year, you could find a big drop from Enstrom to your next best D.

Dobber Sports Icon

i will admit i didnt read teh scoring as closely as HF. i saw the scoring, just not the D: seperation. your cats are heavy favoured to defense for sure but i still think Lupul see more PP time than Enstrom will next season (see Trouba taking that spot). for this reason is till favour the Lupul side.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

They both had pretty bad years relative to what they did in the past. Which one is more likely to bounce back? My gut says Enstrom. Would you rather gamble on a forward or a defence? Personally I'd rather gamble on a defenceman, because 44 point forwards are a dime a dozen, but if Enstrom bounces back, you want that, cuz a 50-point D-man is such a rare commodity.
    10 team pts-only keeper league - keep 10 plus 10 from past/present farm. No bench: entire active roster counts. Goalies: 2 pts/win + 3/shutout. 82 adds / year. NHL playoffs count for separate prize.

F: J Eichel, M Tkachuk, J Guentzel, E Pettersson, P Laine, R Thomas, C Kreider, M Boldy, J Kyrou, M Backlund, F Vatrano, N Niederreiter, R Rakell, M Marchment, M Domi
    D: A Fox, S Theodore, R Andersson, B Montour, S Durzi, D Keith
    G: F Andersen, S Knight, J Swayman
    IR: J Hughes, M Stone, M Grzelcyk, S Perunovich
    Farm: L Raymond, O Wahlstrom, S Skinner, C Addison, Y Chinakhov, J Perreault

Dobber Sports Genius

If you can get something better than Lupul for Enstrom then by all means pursue it. Truth is, Enstrom hasn't had fantasy worth points per game since 4 seasons ago, his hits and shots are low, and his PIMs don't match up. Even if Lupul only plays 60 games I would still expect him to be a better fantasy asset over a full season.

I'm just wondering, how many fantasy points did they each receive last season? Despite playing 82 games I would be surprised to see Enstrom come out ahead of Lupul who only played 69 games. (Tried to figure it out in my head, too late and confusing for that )
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks all for your comments.

I countered with an offer of Greene, Ceci, and 1st rounder (10th overall) for Lupul and he accepted.

Greene was an early season waiver wire pickup who really dropped off in production towards the end of the season. Overall, his season was good enough to be the 40th ranked defenseman in our league.

Ceci, while I would have liked to have kept him was at 49 games played. So after the 1st game next season, I would have had to call Ceci up to my active roster. As it stands, I already have enough young defenseman on my active roster and would not have been able to fit him in (essentially making him a drop).

As for the pick, my farm is already full and I have two (2) other 1st rounders.

I feel good about the trade, and I saw that the guy just dropped Greene to the wire, so I picked him back up as a depth option. This essentially makes the trade Ceci and a 1st rounder for Lupul.

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice job, Enapai! Not sure what exactly a 10th overall would fetch, but I think you did great in bolstering your top 6 without skipping a beat on the back end.