Thread: Trade Review

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trade Review

So I took over a dynasty team - 14 team weeky H2H Daily Starts 2 LW, 2RW, 2C, 4D, 2G. G,A,PPP,+/-, PIM,BLK,SO,WIN,GAA,SV% 3 goalie starts needed. My team had sat most of the year last season unmanaged. Serious rebuild needed. I was able to make the following moves... just looking for thoughts and feedback.

GET
    2nd round draft pick
    nugent-hopkins
    nichushkin
    pouliot derek
    markstrom

GIVE
    3rd round pick
    getzlaf
    palmeiri Kyle
    gardiner
    Allen, jake

2nd trade

GET

V. Tarasenko
    E. Linholm
    A. Wennberg
    F. Anderson
    2015 1st round pick

I GIVE

J Benn
    P Holland

How did I do?
    12 Team H2H Keep 15- 25 man Roster- G,A,+/-, PIM, HITS, BLK,GWG,SOG HT, DEF,PPP, SHP, TOI, GAA,GA, WINS,SV, SO,SV%

Forwards- Giroux, Pacioretty, McDavid, Johansen, Landeskog, Yakupov, Barkov, Foligno, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon Kreider, Draisidl, Tervainen, Nelson, Zajac

Defense-Phaneuf, OEL, Rielly, Barrie, Stone, Murray, Beauchemin
    Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Farm- D. Strome, M. Marner, J Ortio

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Trade Review

First trade was kind of hard to swallow since you gave up Getzlaf so let's hope that RNH gets better quick
    Second trade is closer, however if that 1st round pick ends up being McDavid then you're going to be toast
    Third trade is incomplete.... If you traded Jamie Benn for more prospect garbage then you're in big trouble.

since you're sending out all your production in return for prospects, it probably would have been a good idea to keep your 2015 1st rd pick as your team will probably suck for awhile.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Superstar

You are in rebuild mode and I like both your trades as you got some super blue chip prospects. You gave up some good players but this trade needs to be evaluated in about 3 years. Benn is a tough one to give up but you got good young players. Tarsenko may not end up being that much farther behind Benn in points a couple years down the road. you also need to make good picks with those upgraded draft spots.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Wait did you get Anderson and the first or give up? If you got the pick and Anderson I like the 2nd trade, if you gave up the pick and Anderson not a fan at all. Think the first trade you may have lost slightly on. Losing Getzlaf is tough, not sure anyone can succeed in Edm so I'm not sure RNH will ever live up to potential there. Markstrom still hasn't shown enough at the NHL level either so you're kind of hoping these guys fill their potential. If one of them doesn't not sure you made out in the first one.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Im confused... 2 trades not 3.

As for "prospect garbage" pretty hard to rebuild without said garbage. Getzlaf could finish 1,2 in scoring next year, and my team doesnt win.
    12 Team H2H Keep 15- 25 man Roster- G,A,+/-, PIM, HITS, BLK,GWG,SOG HT, DEF,PPP, SHP, TOI, GAA,GA, WINS,SV, SO,SV%

Forwards- Giroux, Pacioretty, McDavid, Johansen, Landeskog, Yakupov, Barkov, Foligno, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon Kreider, Draisidl, Tervainen, Nelson, Zajac

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not to mention, by the time my team has a chance to compete Getlafs prime will be long gone...

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot

Dobber Sports All-Star

Ok, got confused. If the second trade you give up Jamie Benn and receive Tarasenko, F. Anderson, and 1st rd pick then it's a bit better. If Anderson becomes the starting goalie for ANA then it will be closer. The key to the whole thing is: do you still have your own 1st rd pick where you have a strong shot at McDavid? If you still have that pick and you are a front runner for the 1st overall pick then you should be ok in the long run.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think you jumped the gun on those trades to be honest with you

14 team league with Getz and Benn, i would like to run the team for a while first to see how it performs

you admitted that the team went unmanaged so just assuming that it needed to be rebuilt may have been too quick of a judgement

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i think you jumped the gun on those trades to be honest with you

14 team league with Getz and Benn, i would like to run the team for a while first to see how it performs

you admitted that the team went unmanaged so just assuming that it needed to be rebuilt may have been too quick of a judgement
    I agree here. A team with Benn and Getz is in a pretty good spot in such a deep league like that.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Stud

Sorry I don't like the deals.

You certainly gets lots of potential but until it shows up on the scoresheet thats all it is. Giving up Benn and Getz should fetch a better return
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I your first trade, you are banking on RNH taking the next step but you didn't do too badly here. Obviously you lost short term but in a few years when you are ready to compete it could be even moneu or in your favour.

Really dislike the Benn trade. Benn is still relatively young and is developing Into an absolute stud. None of the prospects you got back have his ceiling. Loss both short and long term unless the 1st turns into a stud prospect.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Superstar

Would have liked to see the rest of the team before you made the trades to really judge if a rebuild was needed, but Getzlaf and Benn are the two best players out of all the ones moved, so you gave up a lot here.

Trade 1: I don't like it at all. Getzlaf is the best player and proven. The Nuge hasn't shown he can be consistent or a star at the NHL level yet, plus he loses a lot of value in a multicat league. He is a strong points only player. Similar situation with Nichushkin; there's lots of talk about him being good, but he hasn't proven much in the NHL yet. I also like Gardiner over Pouliot, Allen over Markstrom and the 2nd round vs 3rd round pick probably won't amount to much of anything either. There's a lot that needs to go right for this trade to work out in your favour and I think it's far too much risk to move the players you did.

Trade 2: This one is easier to swallow, but you're still giving up the best player in Benn, who is an absolute stud in a multi-cat league, plus he is still young. You are getting back a lot of hype again in Tarasenko, who has shown flashes, but no consistency yet. Lindholm hasn't proven anything, and Andersen's situation isn't clear yet either. Once again I feel there is a lot that needs to go right in this trade to make giving up Benn worthwhile. It's too much risk for me to give up Benn and I would not have done it.

There is one caveat with this. You have definitely made your team worse for the right season. With two starts available in the upcoming draft you also managed to add a 2nd first round selection (what are the chances of it being low?). If this trade helps put you in the bottom two of the league and you are able to get McDavid or Eichel, then you're in better shape, but if you miss, it's not looking great.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

2C/2LW/2RW is a shallow roster allocation.

In these leagues, if you trade away ONE bonafide established keeper,
    you should get back TWO bonafide future keepers.

In the first trade, OUT is Getzlaf and IN is RNH/Nich. I actually have more faith in Nich in a shallow-depth wing position, but I'm not sure RNH will ever be a top 24C in fantasy multi-cat.
    In the second trade, OUT is Benn and IN is Tarasenko/Andersen. This ain't bad because goalies have solid value in 14 team x 2G leagues.

I dislike trade #1 a lot.
    I dislike trade #2, but it's close... and if you need a goalie and ARE re-building, then adding some T&A looks OK. Teehee.

Overall, I agree with others - hard to understand why you don't think your team can compete with Benn/Getzlaf.
    That's two top 20 multi-cat players in fantasy hockey!!!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    First trade was kind of hard to swallow since you gave up Getzlaf so let's hope that RNH gets better quick
    Second trade is closer, however if that 1st round pick ends up being McDavid then you're going to be toast
    Third trade is incomplete.... If you traded Jamie Benn for more prospect garbage then you're in big trouble.

since you're sending out all your production in return for prospects, it probably would have been a good idea to keep your 2015 1st rd pick as your team will probably suck for awhile.
    I'm pretty sure he only made two trades. In all this is what he gave and got.

He gave up:

Getzlaf
    Benn
    Palmieri
    Gardiner
    Holland
    Allen
    3rd Round pick

He Received in return:
    Tarasenko
    RNH
    Nichushkin
    Lindholm
    Wennberg
    Pouliot
    Markstrom
    Anderson
    1st Round 2015

So he's probably lining himself up to get McDavid with his 1st round pick (as far as I can tell, he didn't give that up) and he grabbed another 1st rounder in the Benn deal (which if the guy is giving it up, probably means he expects to compete. Lower end first).

These are tough deals to swallow but all have potential to be at least close to even deals. Losing Benn/Getzlaf hurts but probably makes you a lock for a top 5 pick. RNH/Tarasenko/Nuke/Lindholm all have good potential and look better with McDavid.

But I'm kind of wondering if losing Benn/Getzlaf is worth it.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

To save the time and effort of retyping my whole roster, my next best forward would be either Matt Read or Brent Burns, and my top goalie Pavalec.

This team had perpetually been a 7-11 finish over the last 4 years. Yes it might have been jumping the gun a little on the 2 deals, but finishing 7-11 again does not let me compete or have a shot at McDavid or Eichel. Kind of stuck in Calgary Flames mode, never compete but never finish poor enough to properly reload.

The only way I could see myself aquiring the type of assets needed to rebuild was a drastic move like this.

Thanks for all of the respones. Im looking forward to a long rebuild like this. I have never had the opportunity to do so.

Goal- Dubnyk, Talbot