Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halak?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Halak?

Good morning all,

With Halak's rights now in the hands of the Islanders, let's pretend that he does sign there. What would you expect from him next year?

Do you expert more of the same .918 SV% with ~3 SHO?
    Do you see him playing ~45 games or more? He seems to average about that.
    Where would you rank him goalie wise in a league with GS,W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO?

Just looking for some general thoughts. I have someone in my league who's looking to move Halak + for my Lehtonen so debating how dumb of a move that would be .

Thanks,
    Drift

12 H2H Dynasty:
    S: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits
    G: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    LW: Robertson, Debrincat, Gaudreau
    C: Matthews, Point, Kuznetsov
    RW: Kyrou, Toffoli, Rakell
    D: Chychurn, Krug, Gavrikov, Giordano, Liljegren
    W/FWD/Skt: JT Miller, Nelson, Farabee
    G: Bobrovsky, Swayman
    Bench: Horvat, Dach, Greenway, R. Smith, Stutzle, Kunin, Skjei, E. Johnson
    Farm: Johnston, Raty, Maccelli, Lysell, Quinn, Sandin, Brannstrom, Dostal, Forsberg, Gustavsson, Thompson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Halak?

I think that's a decent trade as long as the + is a nice piece to put the icing on the cake.

Lehtonen and Halak are both good goalies, injuries have always been the issue. That said, I think Halak could be a very good fit with the Islanders. They ship a lot of goals but with Donovan playing his first full season and old man Visnovaky healthy hopefully they shore things up. Impossible to predict, but I can see him posting similar #'s to Lehtonen and he'll face a lot of shots.

Dobber Sports Wizard

generally speaking something + means that the plus is the lesser of the pieces

i am not sure that i would be interested in trading away Lehtonen to get Halak

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Administrator

If it were me, I'd rather stick with Lehtonen. There's just more certainty with regards to his situation, and I also think he's a better goalie than Halak.

Lehtonen is under contract for 4 more years while Halak is still unsigned .
    The Islanders are on the upswing; the Stars are deeper and more mature while still having a strong core of young players and prospects.
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Icon

Halak to me has always been a goalie of the system. hes not a guy that can steal the games himself. i cant say i followed NYI alot this year so i am not sure what their defensive system is like, but i do know i would not make the trade.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Halak to me has always been a goalie of the system. hes not a guy that can steal the games himself. i cant say i followed NYI alot this year so i am not sure what their defensive system is like, but i do know i would not make the trade.
    How'd that system work out for Miller this past playoffs?

Halak's numbers have been solid everywhere he's played in the NHL, including his short amount of time in Washington this year, and believe me, their system isn't stellar.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    about as well as one should have expected

too many people think that Ryan Miller's entire career consists of 2009-2010 instead of the other 8 seasons that make up the largest portion of it

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Halak's numbers have been solid everywhere he's played in the NHL, including his short amount of time in Washington this year, and believe me, their system isn't stellar.
    Yeah, I agree. It's the injuries IMO that result in people viewing him negatively. Together with Crawford, Halak is the most disrespected goalie in the league.

Banned

If Halak signs in NY, his numbers will NOT be as good as they were in STL
    No way he posts a 2.23 GAA and a 916 SV%

Not with Capuano as the coach.

Lehtonen is a better goalie on a better team with a better coach, GM, Owner, etc...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    If Halak signs in NY, his numbers will NOT be as good as they were in STL
    No way he posts a 2.23 GAA and a 916 SV%

Not with Capuano as the coach.

Lehtonen is a better goalie on a better team with a better coach, GM, Owner, etc...
    Meh, you are a Halak doubter anyways so I take your Halak opinion with a grain of salt. You thought he was a bad goalie in St Louis.

I wouldn't call myself a Halak lover (as I am sure 27Blue will think), but I seem to find myself constantly defending him on these boards because I am a Halak realist. Realistically, he is not as bad as many seem to think he is. Realistically, he has always put up solid numbers where ever he has played. Realistically, he's a quality NHL goalie and even if he goes to Long Island, I think he puts up solid numbers.

Now you say someone is offering you Halak + for your Lehtonen. Any idea what the + is?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Actually he stole a series. Don't forget Halak was the guy who put the Caps franchise on the road to ruin leading the Habs to their upset win in 2010.

Banned

Meh, you are a Halak doubter anyways so I take your Halak opinion with a grain of salt. You thought he was a bad goalie in St Louis.

I wouldn't call myself a Halak lover (as I am sure 27Blue will think), but I seem to find myself constantly defending him on these boards because I am a Halak realist. Realistically, he is not as bad as many seem to think he is. Realistically, he has always put up solid numbers where ever he has played. Realistically, he's a quality NHL goalie and even if he goes to Long Island, I think he puts up solid numbers.

Now you say someone is offering you Halak + for your Lehtonen. Any idea what the + is?
    Halak is an NHL goalie, just not the top 10 goalie that his STL numbers suggest.
    Elliott has better numbers than Halak during their times in STL - there's your grain of salt...
    If Halak posts a 2.23 GAA or lower in NY next year (assuming he signs) then I will be the believer that you are.

Dobber Sports Wizard

if he signs with the Islanders i see him around 2.40 and somewhere in the .9teens

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Titan

Miller was asked to play deep in his net when in St. Louis, and not to be as aggressive as he played in Buffalo. He tried to play passive and deep in his net and he sucked at it. One of Miller’s better aspects of his game is his scrambling. Even when scrambling he looks in control. Also, I would say his numbers across the board are good, not just 2008-09. He’s better than what he did in St Louis. Maybe he benefits from having a lot of shots in a game? Maybe it was being a starter on 1 team for so long then moving to a new team that screwed him up, kinda like Marty St Louis.

Halak is a good goalie. He has found adequate success wherever he has gone. He is like Crawford, for the right price, he does the trick. Based on his “Dislikeness” he could sign with a team cheaper than what his talents suggest he should get paid. I’d say watch him get a Bernier in Toronto season. 2.6GAA, 0.920’s Sv%, low shutouts.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    If Halak posts a 2.23 GAA or lower in NY next year (assuming he signs) then I will be the believer that you are.
    I would say that's unfair. System goalie or not, playing behind that Blues squad is obviously a much better situation than the Isles. As for Elliott, there's your system goalie. He's been awful everywhere else he's ever played and was this close to being pushed out of the NHL before the Blues gave him a shot. Halak on the other hand has put up solid numbers on other teams.

I'd be hard pressed to call Halak a top 10 goalie, but a top 15? That's possible I would think.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar