Thread: Major deal that never happened

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Major deal that never happened

Deep 16 team keeper pool. We have a cap but it is not an issue in this deal, points are 1 for a goal and 1 for an assist we dress 9 forwards and 5 dmen each week.

I was talking a major deal with a guy in the pool and this was his offer:

I was giving up:
    Seguin, Weber, Bergeron, 1st round entry in 2015 (lotto pick will be 1 through 8 with a possibility of McDavid, these picks are like gold in our pool this year). In our lotto the lowest odds won 1st overall this year so it really is a lotto.

He was offering:
    Stamkos, Hartnell, Voynov

I said no to his offer and countered with:
    I was offering:
    Segiun, Weber, Bergeron, 1st round FA in 2015 (less valuable then entry but still good), 2nd round entry (2015) (this would be an NHL first rounder based on our pool size)

He was giving up:
    Stamkos, Hartnell, Voynov

At the end of the day the deal dies because he would not make the deal without my 1st entry and I would not give it up. Was either of us crazy for not taking one of the offers?

I would loved to have gotten Stamkos but I don't know if there are more then 20 points between him and Seguin moving forward so I felt the ask was far to high. Maybe I am crazy?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Major deal that never happened

You were good to reject his proposal. I like the Seguin, Weber, Bergeron and picks side much much more than I like Stamkos, Hartnell, Voynov. You would upgraded slightly Stamkos to Seguin, but downgraded in the rest of the deal which overall you would of downgraded yourself. You were wise to reject.

Doing a Stamkos deal is all fine and well, but not for the sake of doing it to get him at any cost.

Dobber Sports All-Star

You would have been crazy to give up Seguin, Bergeron, Weber (potential lottery pick) for Stamkos in a pts only league. Hartnell and Voynov are rather invisible in this deal. Ultimately there might only be a 10 pt difference between Stamkos and Seguin when they both flat line on their production. Not enough to give up those other assets as throw ins.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If the cap is not an issue in this deal, then I'd probably go with the Seguin-side.
    People get lost in "points-only", because most of us that play multi-cat are used to seeing Stamkos' value multiplied through categories like PPP & SOG.

But in "points only", Stamkos (90pts) isn't that much higher than Seguin (80-85pts).
    So - we have to remind ourselves of this.

If that's the case, I like the Seguin side much better.
    That said - I don't see how Weber's cap hit or actual salary is NOT an issue in cap leagues... it's a terrible value-per-dollar in "points-only" pools.

Must be a HUGE cap limit per team.

Dobber Sports Stud

Points only, the the team that gets the best player usually wins the trade, but in this case there is not a ton of difference between Stamkos and Seguin. Weber >>> Voynov, Bergeron > Hartnell, and you were putting in the pick. No thanks.
    F-Crosby,Jarvis,Wheeler,Horvat,Mittlestadt,Landeskog ,
    Cooley,Newhook,JT.Miller,Vrana,Bjorkstrand,Connor,
    Greenway, Aho

D-Carlson,Hedman,Pulock,Pionk,
    Klingberg,Addisson,Forsling,Korchinski

G-Hellebuyck,Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=1pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=3pts,T=1,SO=2,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

The cap hit is 108 million in the league. Most teams carry about 80 guys with a roster minimum being 54, the only time cap gets to be an issue is when guys refuse to drop players. We have had guys carry retired players for years after they no longer play in the NHL. If done right the cap is not an issue in this league.

Dobber Sports Monster

Consider yourself lucky that you did not get all glossy-eyed for Stamkos and pulled the trigger. You would of regretted this deal.

Dobber Sports Legend

Thank goodness you didn't make that deal. I LOVE Stamkos but there's no way I'd give up Seguin, Weber and Bergeron for him. let alone a nice pick. No way.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Wow, I am glad I said no. As always Thanks Dobber Nation!!