Thread: Yahoo! Pro ($$$) Leagues

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Yahoo! Pro ($$$) Leagues

Apologies if discussion of $$ leagues is taboo here... I'm wondering what everyone's experiences are playing in the Yahoo! Pro leagues? There were $20 and $100 leagues last year. I've never joined one and exclusively play FP leagues with my friends, but looking for a challenge next year. I'd likely be donating first year or two as I learn the Roto ropes.

I believe Yahoo takes a rake of $2-5 bucks per buy in which is pretty steep. What were your views on the moderation? Was there any greasy trades going on?

On a side note, does anyone know any other places where you can draft teams and play fantasy-points only for cash over a full season?
    Cheers
    11 Team Keeper - Yahoo Pts Only
    G 4 - A 3 - +/- .5 - HIT .2 - SOG .2 - PIM .2 - BLK.2
    W 5 - L -3 - GA -.5 - SV .2 - SO 5

C: Crosby, Seguin, Koivu, Dubinsky
    LW: Neal, Benn, Pacioretty, Dupuis
    RW: Eberle, Franzen, Vrbata, Atkinson
    D: OEL, Goligoski, Wisniewsky, Dillon, Faulk, Kulikov, Souray
    G: Backstrom, Lehtonen, Price, Khubodin
    Util: Grabo, Tlusty, Ruutu
    BN: Killorn, Clutterbuck, Bouchard, Schwartz

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Yahoo! Pro ($$$) Leagues

Quote Originally Posted by jross View Post
    Apologies if discussion of $$ leagues is taboo here... I'm wondering what everyone's experiences are playing in the Yahoo! Pro leagues? There were $20 and $100 leagues last year. I've never joined one and exclusively play FP leagues with my friends, but looking for a challenge next year. I'd likely be donating first year or two as I learn the Roto ropes.

I believe Yahoo takes a rake of $2-5 bucks per buy in which is pretty steep. What were your views on the moderation? Was there any greasy trades going on?

On a side note, does anyone know any other places where you can draft teams and play fantasy-points only for cash over a full season?
    Cheers
    I tried signing up for a league, but the Pro Leagues aren't available/permitted in Canada.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well f me in the A.
    11 Team Keeper - Yahoo Pts Only
    G 4 - A 3 - +/- .5 - HIT .2 - SOG .2 - PIM .2 - BLK.2
    W 5 - L -3 - GA -.5 - SV .2 - SO 5

C: Crosby, Seguin, Koivu, Dubinsky
    LW: Neal, Benn, Pacioretty, Dupuis
    RW: Eberle, Franzen, Vrbata, Atkinson
    D: OEL, Goligoski, Wisniewsky, Dillon, Faulk, Kulikov, Souray
    G: Backstrom, Lehtonen, Price, Khubodin
    Util: Grabo, Tlusty, Ruutu
    BN: Killorn, Clutterbuck, Bouchard, Schwartz

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I wasn't aware that they were not allowed in Canada.

I've joined a Pro league each of the last two seasons and have really enjoyed them. Because a manager cannot choose which league he joins, the collusion potential goes way down. The chances of you knowing any of the other managers in your league is very slim. Which is good and bad, but levels the playing field.

In my experience these leagues have been highly competitive with lots of waiver wire moves and some trading as well. Of the three leagues I compete in each season the Pro league has been my favorite league probably due to the fierce competition. I took home the championship this season and $600 in winnings.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I tried signing up for a league, but the Pro Leagues aren't available/permitted in Canada.
    Just get a VPN and turn it on while signing up. Very simple, even if you're not real tech savvy.

I use www.privateinternetaccess.com

I'll definitely be checking these leagues out next year, though I agree that the roto aspect is less appealing. I also much prefer points only.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd be interested to hear what people have found too.
    I have largely avoided them because I'm a bit of a conspiracist when it comes to these things... and I sort of believe that there are probably a group of 5 to 6 guys that enter them and make (questionable?) trades with each other to win.
    I've always been curious about what sort of trading is allowed by the "commissioner" that Yahoo! appoints.

Reminds me of the scene from Rounders when they are talking about the sucker in the room - and if you can't pick him out...

Dobber Sports Stud

I would think that if there are enough players and entries into leagues are made randomly, you'd likely be ok. If, on the other hand, you only have a handful of leagues running throughout the season, then yes, I could see there being issues with collusion.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Padawan

They aren't available here in Europe either

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear what people have found too.
    I have largely avoided them because I'm a bit of a conspiracist when it comes to these things... and I sort of believe that there are probably a group of 5 to 6 guys that enter them and make (questionable?) trades with each other to win.
    I've always been curious about what sort of trading is allowed by the "commissioner" that Yahoo! appoints.

Reminds me of the scene from Rounders when they are talking about the sucker in the room - and if you can't pick him out...
    Yahoo doesn't appoint commissioners and I'm pretty sure there is very little oversight by Yahoo themselves. Also I think it's improbable that 5-6 guys will end up in one league. Maybe if you had enough people you might be able to get one of your friends in your league but probably not.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

I played in a Yahoo Pro league twice. Once for fantasy football and once for fantasy hockey. I thought there was a mix of skill level in the leagues. Some guys played it and worked hard while other made less savvy moves and didn't apply themselves as much. I really liked the fantasy football leagues and I'd go back again (I actually won that one). I didn't like fantasy hockey though. I didn't like the league settings, there were no utility spots, the goalie categories are completely out of balance as they account for 40% of scoring, there were strict limitations on moves (at least in my opinion), and you can't drop someone who had already played that day (something that Yahoo does in general which annoys me). I wouldn't play fantasy hockey again but I could see how it would appeal to others if you don't mind the settings. Personally I'm really picky about my league settings. I would like to play fantasy football yahoo pro league again though.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis