Thread: Points only: Palat or Perron?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Points only: Palat or Perron?

Hey guys, if you had the choice in a pts only league, which one has the best upside? Is Perron a future steady 70 Pts player? Thanks
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Points only: Palat or Perron?

I prefer Palat here and playing with Stamkos or even Johnson is better than playing with Gagner or Reinhart/Bennet on an underachieving Edm squad.

Even though they could both hit it at some point I don't think either will be a steady 70 point player. That is a pretty special production level to hit consistently.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like both guys and think they will be pretty close, but I prefer Perron. There are a whole lot of question marks in Tampa bay regarding line combinations going forward, whereas I think Perron can consistently put up 60-65 pts anywhere in the top 6, with a chance for 70 depending on situation.

I think Perron is the safer bet, without there being much difference in upside between the two. I'm really tempted to say Palat, but I've learned to temper my expectations after a rookie season.

I...am your father.

This is just risk vs proven. Perron isn't a future 70-point guy, he's probably settling in the low 60s. His career high is 57. Meanwhile, Palat could be a 40-point guy or a an 80-point guy. The body of work is so small that the range is large. Palat has already topped Perron's career high though, at 59 points.

Give me Palat. I'd rather take the risk - the upside is so much higher, and if he comes down to earth you can always drop him next year for the next Palat-type. If you keep Perron, you know what you're getting each year. But under the "keep swinging for the fences" method, you'll eventually find that stud. Maybe it's Palat - right now.

And I don't think the risk/downside is horrible. What's the worst (other than injury)? Perron beats Palat by 15?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is just risk vs proven. Perron isn't a future 70-point guy, he's probably settling in the low 60s. His career high is 57. Meanwhile, Palat could be a 40-point guy or a an 80-point guy.
    That's probably a good way to look at it. A 60-65 pt guy versus a 40-80 pt guy. Tough call.

Dobber Sports Genius

Palat for me. It's a small sample size, but it looks like he's got both the drive and skill to find success. Perron's production is not so hard to replace, so I'd take the 'risk' with Palat.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Another vote for Palat...Cooper thinks very highly of him, and for good reason, the kids awesome. He's a lock for top 6 minutes and will likely play with Stammer moving forward.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is just risk vs proven. Perron isn't a future 70-point guy, he's probably settling in the low 60s. His career high is 57. Meanwhile, Palat could be a 40-point guy or a an 80-point guy. The body of work is so small that the range is large. Palat has already topped Perron's career high though, at 59 points.

Give me Palat. I'd rather take the risk - the upside is so much higher, and if he comes down to earth you can always drop him next year for the next Palat-type. If you keep Perron, you know what you're getting each year. But under the "keep swinging for the fences" method, you'll eventually find that stud. Maybe it's Palat - right now.

And I don't think the risk/downside is horrible. What's the worst (other than injury)? Perron beats Palat by 15?
    Really good point there...Palat is my choice.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't see how Palat has 80 point upside. 80 points is a huge number, I think 70 is plenty high enough. I think you're between a 50-60 point player vs. someone that could be anywhere 40-70.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    I don't see how Palat has 80 point upside
    He was .73ppg this season as a rookie in his first full season despite being shuffled between lines. I watched a lot of Tampa games this season and many nights he looked like the best player on the ice.

I agree 80 points is high, but I don't think it's an unreasonable upside, especially considering he could be riding shotgun with Stamkos. That said I still him settling in as a steady 65-70 point guy who is also responsible defensively.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I like Palat here. I'm not sure what his upside should be yet, but I do think the coach likes him and he will get good minutes.

Dobber Sports Ace

Palat for me too. He and Cooper spent two years together in the AHL at Norfolk/Syracuse, winning a title there the second year. Cooper loves and trusts the kid. Even if Drouin makes the roster next fall, Palat is guaranteed a spot in the Tampa Top 6 (barring the unforeseen). Most likely that will be alongside Stamkos; if not, the consolation prize is 2nd-line duty beside Drouin. Look at what Palat did when Stammer was out this season & MSL was traded: production continued steady, when most thought it would fall off. Palat is now 23 years old and ready to explode from here, imho.

I also love Tyler Johnson, for alot of the same reasons. Cooper loves/trusts him. The big uncertainty though is what happens when/if Drouin is full-time. TJ's the 3rd center and spare wheel in that equation. Will be interesting to see what Cooper does when that time comes.
    HHG - Amish Flyers
    10 team roto keeper (keep 17) w/50-man minors
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,H,Blk,P2D,SktPts;W,GAA,SV%
    6-Time League Champ
    Active
    F: Barkov/Gaudreau/Guentzel/Tarasenko/Laine/Point/Teravainen/Norris/Bratt/BSchenn/Schmaltz/Ek
    D: Hughes/Weegar/Trouba/Klingberg/Pionk/Ghost/Spurgeon
    G: Jarry/Kuemper/Husso/Ullmark
    Minors
    F: Robertson/Hintz/Lafreniere/Batherson/Farabee/Jeannot/Frost/Tomasino/Garland/Holtz/Sillinger/Johnston/McMichael/Podkolzin/Maccelli/Beck/Brisson
    D: Nemec/Lundkvist/Zellweger/Rathbone/POJoseph/Hutson/Fehervary
    G: Swayman/Wallstedt/Brossoit/Fedotov/Prosvetov/Vejmelka/Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by AFlyers66 View Post
    Palat for me too. He and Cooper spent two years together in the AHL at Norfolk/Syracuse, winning a title there the second year. Cooper loves and trusts the kid. Even if Drouin makes the roster next fall, Palat is guaranteed a spot in the Tampa Top 6 (barring the unforeseen). Most likely that will be alongside Stamkos; if not, the consolation prize is 2nd-line duty beside Drouin. Look at what Palat did when Stammer was out this season & MSL was traded: production continued steady, when most thought it would fall off. Palat is now 23 years old and ready to explode from here, imho.

I also love Tyler Johnson, for alot of the same reasons. Cooper loves/trusts him. The big uncertainty though is what happens when/if Drouin is full-time. TJ's the 3rd center and spare wheel in that equation. Will be interesting to see what Cooper does when that time comes.
    I'm not too sure that we'll be seeing Drouin at C anytime soon. That is a big responsibility to take on coming out of juniors and he has proven to be just as dangerous playing on the wing. Either way, it's a good problem to have as both will end up being big contributors on a scary top 6.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar