Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Young Dad's Club (YDC) - What are you doing for Mother's Day?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Young Dad's Club (YDC) - What are you doing for Mother's Day?

Trying to collect some ideas here.
    I have two young daughters.
    I think I'm supposed to do Mother's Day stuff... on behalf of them.

What are some good options for gifts for next weekend for mom?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Young Dad's Club (YDC) - What are you doing for Mother's Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Trying to collect some ideas here.
    I have two young daughters.
    I think I'm supposed to do Mother's Day stuff... on behalf of them.

What are some good options for gifts for next weekend for mom?
    I'll be doing breakfast in bed prepared by myself and the kids, cooking the meals and doing all the cleaning up for the day, and probably going out for dinner that night as well. Handling all of the kid stuff etc as well. The kids have some hand made gifts that they will give as well, and I might give something small, but the biggest thing is to just give her a complete day off from any responsibilities (as much as possible).

Dobber Sports Genius

Spa day including the works is always a winner here.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've got a 6 month old boy, so big pressure moving into my first mother's day. Luckily my wife's awesome and pointed out exactly what she'd like. Suits me too because I hate paying $9 for a piece of folded card stock. I'll likely get some flowers and a piece of clothing from her favourite shop too.

Take's a little work, and is a long play, but I think this is a guaranteed yearly mist-up, and creates great memories:
    http://blog.babygizmo.com/2014/04/mothers-day-cards/

Dobber Sports Deity

Getting the kids to make something by hand and give it to her in the morning is always a nice gesture. Really, it's all about her on that day so make her day as easy as possible. Tell her to take the day off and you will handle everything. It's not about how much you spend as much as it is about how much do you do.

Lets just hope they remember all this come Fathers Day.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Here's the thing, part of celebrating great Moms is giving them a break from the kids that they work so hard raising 24/7 so keep that in mind. Include the kids in the morning but give Mom some TLC in the afternoon.

The breakfast in bed thing is a great suggestion because it involves the kids and it's adorable and women eat that shit up. Stick with something simple that the kids will enjoy. Might I recommend investing in a heart shaped ring mold, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Nonstic.../dp/B0000DDVWK

Even if you can't cook worth a damn, all you need is a big flat pan and box of Aunt Jemimah and you can knock this one out of the park. Top the pancakes with fresh berries and powdered sugar.

Then book her afternoon all for her while you take care of the kids...the spa day is a good idea, but it could be anything really, ask her best friends for ideas, she might wanna go shopping with them or go for cocktails or whatever, the important thing is that you hand her the credit card and tell her to enjoy herself.

Dobber Sports Genius

My wife gave me the subtle hint of this: 3 stones for 3 girls

http://www.jewlr.com/products/share/...=product_share

For Mothers Day I always ask my wife what she wants to do and she says the same thing every year. My wife wants me to plan out the whole day so we can do things as a family. She doesnt care what we do as long as we are together.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

I...am your father.

All your problems are solved here my friend - shutterfly. I put together two photo albums with hardcover custom covers - 20 pages each running through the first three years of Mackenzie's life (she turns three in a couple weeks, so not quite three years) and the other for the first three years of Avery's life (she's five). From infant on up, and then special sections called 'naptime', 'yummy (eating)' and 'sisters'

This is a home run. Nobody looks at photo albums anymore - but this concept presents the hardcover on display on a tiny rack. Between those two and getting the girls to make her a card, I'm covered.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by shifty eyes View Post
    I've got a 6 month old boy, so big pressure moving into my first mother's day. Luckily my wife's awesome and pointed out exactly what she'd like. Suits me too because I hate paying $9 for a piece of folded card stock. I'll likely get some flowers and a piece of clothing from her favourite shop too.

Take's a little work, and is a long play, but I think this is a guaranteed yearly mist-up, and creates great memories:
    Get her a gift card for her favourite shop. Nothing worse than getting the "wrong" garment. That Mother's Day journal is ... THE BEST IDEA EVER. Yearly mist-up for sure.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Every year I get in trouble because we do something for my mom and I always kind of forget to do something for my better half.

This year, I'm taking a cue from you guys. I love that idea of giving her the "day off," so in that spirit I will:

1. Remind her to prepare all the meals a day or two in advance so that she won't have to do any cooking on her special day.
    2. Tell her the dishes can wait till the next morning or, alternatively, use paper plates/cups.
    3. Rent something like 12 movies so the kids will leave her alone all day.

Hehe, methinks I'm all set. Who knows? I may even get lucky that night!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shifty eyes View Post

That book is exactly what we will be doing with our 1.5 year olds. And she wants a fancy espresso maker, but her birthday is 3 days later so those will be combined which she is totally cool with.

That book looks like a damn winner tho. It keeps all those crafty things in one place, which is awesome.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks all, I'll try to pass out some rep.

I may have to look into the photo book. My wife did that for me last Father's Day... maybe that's a hint I should do likewise.
    My wife loves to sleep, LOVES. So breakfast in bed is almost a killer.
    Time off... actually a great idea for most women. I give me wife tons of breaks as is... every Saturday I take daughter to park until 1pm, so at best I can just replicate that a 2nd day in a row.

Photo book.
    Think I'll give that a whirl...

I usually also buy some flowers on the "night before", and then have those on a table for the day of, with homemade simple card.
    Present comes out later.

I busted out this project for our 5-year anniversary a few years ago and she loved it.

*This isn't actually my work below... just a link I found with similar look.*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    All your problems are solved here my friend - shutterfly. I put together two photo albums with hardcover custom covers - 20 pages each running through the first three years of Mackenzie's life (she turns three in a couple weeks, so not quite three years) and the other for the first three years of Avery's life (she's five). From infant on up, and then special sections called 'naptime', 'yummy (eating)' and 'sisters'

This is a home run. Nobody looks at photo albums anymore - but this concept presents the hardcover on display on a tiny rack. Between those two and getting the girls to make her a card, I'm covered.
    ooooo that's brilliant, I'll have to file that one away for when I have kids

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The other trick I've learned is to hack into the wife's "pinterest" where they keep visual ideas of things they want to have/do/get.
    That's where I got the "clothes-line wire hanger photo board" concept from a few years ago.

Banned

well the mothersday journal is in the works here.

bought a nice looking scrapbook for the book part, and each year we can put in a different color page where the kids will do their thing.

gonna be awesome, and I am kind of thrilled to see her reaction