Thread: Bishop vs Andrei???

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Bishop vs Andrei???

How do you guys see that one developping? I think we all know how good of a prospect Vasilevski and it seems sure that he will play in NA next year:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...ound-for-bolts

I'm really impressed with his SV%: 924, 923 and 928 for the last 3 seasons in the KHL!!!

On the other hand, Bishop had a great year but he is everything but a Golden boy.

As a BB's owner, I am a bit nervous about the situation right now. How do you see this situation, next year and beyond? Curious to read you guys about this one....

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Bishop vs Andrei???

First off to answer your thread title, Bishop easily and any day of the week.

Not to take anything away from Vasilevski who is a top end prospect, but so is (was?) Markstrom and goalies are extremely volataile in their development in my opinion and they tend to take much longer before they become relevant, even if they have the draft pedigree to give them the golden boy status (Bernier perhaps).
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    First off to answer your thread title, Bishop easily and any day of the week.

Not to take anything away from Vasilevski who is a top end prospect, but so is (was?) Markstrom and goalies are extremely volataile in their development in my opinion and they tend to take much longer before they become relevant, even if they have the draft pedigree to give them the golden boy status (Bernier perhaps).
    I'd be careful to use Markstrom as a reason to say goalies are volatile in their development. A lot of his issues had to do with confidence issues. Plus Florida didn't even have a goalie coach for him at the AHL level. Whole litany of bad mojo going on with him to make him a unique situation. I think I'd point to Ramo for reason why goalies can be odd. Was awful back in the day for Tampa, left for the KHL and came back and has actually been pretty good. Started out a little slowly but came on quite strong in the end.

Bernier is a good example, Vasilevski could take a while if they follow the Bernier method. At the very least I wouldn't expect any competition for Bishop from Vasil in 2014-2015. Vasil will be in the AHL as a starter. Better to get him lots of time on NA ice than to give him backup time in the NHL. And unless he really impresses enough, he'll likely be there in 2015-2016 as well.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I'd be careful to use Markstrom as a reason to say goalies are volatile in their development. A lot of his issues had to do with confidence issues. Plus Florida didn't even have a goalie coach for him at the AHL level. Whole litany of bad mojo going on with him to make him a unique situation. I think I'd point to Ramo for reason why goalies can be odd. Was awful back in the day for Tampa, left for the KHL and came back and has actually been pretty good. Started out a little slowly but came on quite strong in the end.

Bernier is a good example, Vasilevski could take a while if they follow the Bernier method. At the very least I wouldn't expect any competition for Bishop from Vasil in 2014-2015. Vasil will be in the AHL as a starter. Better to get him lots of time on NA ice than to give him backup time in the NHL. And unless he really impresses enough, he'll likely be there in 2015-2016 as well.
    Fair enough on Markstrom, was more lending to the fact that even top drafted prospect goalies and their hype typically have the longest development time, and that even the more hyped goalies (Markstrom/Pogge/Dubnyk/Montoya) for whatever factors can end up fizzling out.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Master

Bishop is miles ahead of Vasilevskiy right now. Sure, V is a great prospect but there's a large gap between that and being an NHL starter. Bishop has a choke hold on the starter's job and posted Vezina quality numbers this year. I think it's at least 2 years before we see him become a starter in his own right, Vasilevskiy that is. Bishop did show lots of wear this year, but he's trending upwards and V hasn't even started trending yet, let's say. I'd put my bets with Bishop for the next two seasons.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Titan

Ben Bishop is the starter. Andrei may be a good pick up for a farm team in fantasy, but he’s 2-3 yrs away (barring any major injury/trade) from maybe threatening for starts. The best scenario comparison would be Quick and Bernier. Quick had a strangle hold on the starting position, and Bernier was a solid young goalie who had the talent to be a starter, just not starting over Quick. Right now, and at least for next yr as well, Bishop is the starter for Tampa.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree that Bishop is the guy for the next couple of years but Vasilevski is the golden boy. Bishop played well and posted Vezina numbers but he is not the future in Tampa. If you're looking to compete now, Bishop is your guy. If you're looking to compete in 2-3 years then it's Vasilevski, no question. None of the comparisons above are fair in imo as Vasilevski is unique compared to all the others previously mentioned. He had 3 dominant showings at the WJCs and has already been playing against men in the KHL for the last 3 years, and only turns 20 this year. Bishop is a stopgap (a very good one mind you) but he is not the future in Tampa. Vasilevski is the best goalie not in the NHL and if you can get your hands on him, do so immediately.
    12 Teams Keeper, Weekly H2H, Daily Starts (3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G)
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - Tavares, Scheifle, Trocheck, Granlund
    LW - BTkachuk, Stamkos, Kurashev, Mittelstadt
    RW - MTkachuk, Miller, Pavelski, Tolvanen, Zetterlund
    D - Dahlin, Josi, Hamilton, Fox, Nurse, Montour, Manson
    G - Sorokin, Saros, Ullmark

FARM:
    RW - Michkov
    LW - Voronkov
    C - Foerster
    D - Hutson, Nikishin
    G - Schmid, Daws, Commesso, Portillo, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Padawan

^^ I agree. They spent a high pick on him and the dude has star written all over him. Bishop started to struggle at the end of the year, I still think he'll be great, but not a consistent vezina quality goalie that I think Vasilevski will be.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Pro

Bishop is the starter in TB. Vasilevskiy(correct spelling) will be in Syracuse splitting time with Gudlevskis transitioning to smaller ice surfaces. Expect Vasi to spend at least two years, if not three depending on how his development goes in AHL. High end potential for sure but he won'tbe thrown to the wolves.

Don't take my word for it though, believe what you want.