Thread: My Burns for his Rielly

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default My Burns for his Rielly

Looking to solidify my Keepers.

Lots of ?'s surrounding Burns. I can for sure keep him as one of my 4 Keeper D's going into next season regardless of what Yahoo does with Eligibility. But if he does lose the D...then really...he's a marginal RW. Still holding an extra forward in a D spot as a keeper has value...but how much?

I kinda think Rielly is a year or two away from seriously becoming a very good Fantasy contributor, but can I afford to wait.

My D keepers right now (need 4) are:
    Karlsson, OEL, Burns and Ehrhoff (or Gudas)

After the move:
    Karlsson, OEL, Rielly and Ehrhoff (of Gudas)

Is this atleast a Lateral move...if not step in the right direction?

I expect my team (2nd place this year) to contend for the title next year (with a Healthy J.T. back and Bobrovsky to start the season).

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: My Burns for his Rielly

Yahoo! is always terrible with positions... but I'd have to think there is a 90%+ chance his lose that D this year.
    I'm sure they've had an incredible amount of complaints about that.

It's a tough call... Burns was still like the 60th-ish overall Yahoo! player this year, regardless of position.
    He was 7th amongst D-men, that's good... but he's also 23rd among RW.
    And technically, that Yahoo! RW list includes Giroux (C/RW), Seguin (C/RW), Malkin (C/RW), Backes (C/RW), Johansen (C/RW), and Little (C/RW) - all really Cs... all ahead of Burns.
    So maybe he was the 17th best RW.

That's a #2 RW in an 11-team league.

Really, with 2 UTIL, those should both be forwards... so you are rostering essentially 2.66 RWs, approx 28 RWs in the league, Burns potentially at #16.
    That makes Burns slightly less than the "average counting RW", if positions are re-set with C players as C only.

Is Reilly around the average group of Ds... approx. the 25-35th best D.
    Is Reilly really, clearly in that 25-35th best D man group?

Gosh...
    I don't know.
    This one is tough.

I think I'd hold Burns... even as a RW.

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah I think its worth it, if Burns retains his D eligibility you lose (for the season anyway), but I have a feeling the window to buy Rielly will be closing soon and with the likelihood that Burns loses his D (either this season or next) you should cash in while you can.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Put me in the camp of people who think Burns is still a pretty good RW option, even without D-eligibility. So I think moving him for Reilly would be a loss, I'd say no.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Damn. I was waiting for the flood gates to open with HELL YA...DUMP BURNS AND SNAP UP RIELLY!

Esh... Now I need to think.

He's also been interested in Gaborik for Rielly, but I'd sooner wait and see where Gabby Signs as he may bolster more then just Rielly landing in the right location.

HOpe to get a few more takes here.

ALSO...what if San Jose says "ENOUGH is ENOUGH" and strives to move Thornton and Marleau...is Burns really a Top Line RW any longer?

Honestly. I'd jump on Gabby for Reilly. In terms of RW, I'd much prefer Burns to Gabby. If he's not playing with Thornton than he's playing with Pavs or Couture, which I guess is a downgrade but not a huge one, and keep in mind with Boyle almost certainly gone he's gonna get a ton more PP time next season.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Honestly. I'd jump on Gabby for Reilly. In terms of RW, I'd much prefer Burns to Gabby. If he's not playing with Thornton than he's playing with Pavs or Couture, which I guess is a downgrade but not a huge one, and keep in mind with Boyle almost certainly gone he's gonna get a ton more PP time next season.
    Yup.
    Even with San Jose's elimination, they've got really excellent forward depth - and an incredible center for Burns regardless of whether he's line 1 or line 2.
    They also still use him on PP1.

Burns was 13th in the NHL in SOG/game this year behind Ovechkin, Neal, Nash, E.Kane, Skinner, Sharp, Kessel, Pacioretty, Seguin, Parise, Couture, and Carter.
    Pretty, damn, good.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

So consensus. Gabby has the least value (likely because he only plays 20 games a year)...even if he happens to land in a DREAM location...Gabby has less value than Burns?

THEN if that's the case.

Am I dropping Ehrhoff for Rielly? And keeping Karlsson, OEL, Burns and Rielly?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm facing much the same dilemma as fellow Burns owner, as I too am fairly certain he will lose his D status next near. In my multi-cat format, I am still planning on keeping him as a F, and our league is also expanding to include 2 util. spots next season. Burns is still valuable as a F with his combination of goals, sog, hits, and a good probability of a favourable +/-. The one thing that really held back Burns' value, was that he was not utilized on the PP very much until the end of the season. The Sharks PP was pretty average for quite a stretch until they finally shifted Burns to the PP1.....since the chance after the olympics, both Burns and the PP caught fire big time, so I'm hoping to see Burns with more consistent PP time over the course of next season.

I really like the chemistry he shows with Jumbo and the other skilled players in SJ, and think he's still very keeper worthy in a lot of formats, even as a F.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    So consensus. Gabby has the least value (likely because he only plays 20 games a year)...even if he happens to land in a DREAM location...Gabby has less value than Burns?

THEN if that's the case.

Am I dropping Ehrhoff for Rielly? And keeping Karlsson, OEL, Burns and Rielly?
    As far as I'm concerned, yes this is how you should proceed.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks All. I'll spread some rep around.

Just moved Gaborik for Rielly. The likelihood of me keeping gabby was slim. I fact...kinda like pommer over gabby.

So looks like it's between Rielly, Gudas or Ehrhoff as my final D (to join Karlsson, OEL, and Burns)

And final decision for last utility is (C)Kuznetsov or (RW)pommer.

Leaning kuz as that will give me 3 C,3L and 3R rather than only 2 C (esp with JT coming back from injury and I doubt Hall keeps C) and 4RW.

Cheers!