Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What now for the Sharks?

The Great One

Default Re: What now for the Sharks?

If nothing changes in San Jose, they are a worse team.

I think McLennen is gone. Thats the way it works. He is a great coach but someone has to take the blame.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree that in general McLellan is a great coach, but he was a pretty awful one in this series IMO. His decision to play Pavs on the first line instead of 3C and to play Mike Brown over both Kennedy and Havlat cost him the series. Instead of using their depth to dominate LA he did everything he could to minimize their depth. It was just bad coaching decisions.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I agree that in general McLellan is a great coach, but he was a pretty awful one in this series IMO. His decision to play Pavs on the first line instead of 3C and to play Mike Brown over both Kennedy and Havlat cost him the series. Instead of using their depth to dominate LA he did everything he could to minimize their depth. It was just bad coaching decisions.
    Totally agree with this, McLellan was a great coach all season long and made some terrible lineup/matchup decisions during crunch time. I believe he gets the boot.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Time to make some subtractions and some divinely inspired additions.
    The only subtractions for me are Boyle and Havlat. I still don't understand why Burns wasn't playing on the point on the top PP unit during the playoffs, they were using him there towards the end of the regular season and their PP was litterally tearing it up.

The Great One

I thought he was.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I hope he gets the boot. I think he'd be a good fit for the Canucks.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I hope he gets the boot. I think he'd be a good fit for the Canucks.
    Look, just because Vancouver got used to losing the post-season coaching battle (over and over again) during Vigneault's time doesn't make it a 'selection criteria' for new coaches.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Look, just because Vancouver got used to losing the post-season coaching battle (over and over again) during Vigneault's time doesn't make it a 'selection criteria' for new coaches.
    Haha. Maybe I'm the minority here but I don't put too much focus on coaches for playoff success. I think the biggest issue is guys like Thornton/Marleau/Boyle don't show up in playoffs.

I just like McLellan's coaching style for Vancouver. I think he would be a nice fit. I could most certainly be wrong, though.

Dobber Sports Sage

The west is stacked and while San Jose has had an excellent run, they have never been the best team over the last 5-6 seasons. Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, and LA have all been superior at different times since 2008. I understand that Thornton and Marleau are not the kind of players you would ideally build around but what are your real options right now? As mentioned, you can't move either player. I suppose you could ask but they would most likely say no.

So I think your only real options are to buyout Havlat, let Boyle walk, use the cap space to try to find some grit and sand paper, and replace McClellan. Hopefully, the young players improve and Couture can take it to another level and becomes an elite star. And if everything comes together including the play you have come to expect from Niemi, maybe you can win a Cup next season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov