Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What now for the Sharks?

Administrator

Default What now for the Sharks?

Another year, another early playoff exit in San Jose. What do you think the fallout will be? I'd have to assume that there will be personnel changes as a result.

Mclellan - gone
    Boyle - ?

Is Stalock a UFA or an RFA? If he's a UFA, do you think he would decide to test the free agent market?
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: What now for the Sharks?

There probably will be some fallout, but I'm not even sure there should be. They're a great team, coached well. There just happen to be a couple/few teams better than them in the West (Chicago, LA, Anaheim).
    Better goaltending would help. An even grittier overall team would help. Some real gamers would help. They don't have enough 'winners' on that team.

Also, not playing against Quick would help.

Banned

At the end of the day Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and the coach should be gone. They've had enough time to win and haven't gotten it done.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    At the end of the day Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, and the coach should be gone. They've had enough time to win and haven't gotten it done.
    I agree. When push came to shove these were the vets that were supposed to lead the push back, but time and time again they haven't been able to do it. I'm not saying they are bad players, far from it, they just need someone else to lean on for the heavy lifting in the playoffs, the sharks just need a new leadership core.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The challenge is that Thornton and Marleau both have no movement clauses. They aren`t leaving if they don`t want to. Also, how do you replace those guys? Flaws or not, they don`t grow on trees.

Dobber Sports Ace

Losing those vets (especially if they don't get back something like) may pull them further behind the 8 ball - not sure if they would want to go with a major retool like that. That said, I do agree that these vets have just not been able to get things done.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    The challenge is that Thornton and Marleau both have no movement clauses. They aren`t leaving if they don`t want to. Also, how do you replace those guys? Flaws or not, they don`t grow on trees.
    No they don't grow on trees, but they don't win you Stanley Cups either and they should do everything the can to move them. They have had way too many years and chances together and keep coming up short. I don't know what the answer is, but we all know what will happen every year they are on the team. Maybe the guy to ask is Don Cherry. Can you imagine if Joe's last name was Thorntonov?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    I agree. When push came to shove these were the vets that were supposed to lead the push back, but time and time again they haven't been able to do it. I'm not saying they are bad players, far from it, they just need someone else to lean on for the heavy lifting in the playoffs, the sharks just need a new leadership core.
    It's not that they are bad players in any way, it's that they are soft players.
    And soft doesn't win championships.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Honestly I like what Marleau was doing this year, showing a nice two-way game. I think with Thornton you'll lose a bit of point production but he is easily replaced by Pavelski and Couture down the middle, and you're never going to win with him IMO, so you might as well move him. You're right about the NMC. Not sure why they bothered re-signing Thornton to be honest. He's obviously a good centreman, one of the best passers, but I really think they wouldn't get worse if they didn't have him on the roster.

“I asked myself if Joe Thornton could lead us to the Stanley Cup, and my answer was no.” - Mike O'Connell, former GM of Boston Bruins

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

thornton for phaneuf.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    thornton for phaneuf.
    Not a bad idea, the Leafs definitely need help in the middle and his futility in the playoffs will mesh well in TO

Banned

I thought the real difference in the series (and I didn't watch every game, so there might be more to i than this) was the Sharks defense was BRUTAL. Demers was great ALL year and he looked like he didn't belong in the league for this series. You can't win a series when your defense plays as bad as the Sharks D did. The goaltending was weak, too. I thought the forwards payed well enough to win.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    Not a bad idea, the Leafs definitely need help in the middle and his futility in the playoffs will mesh well in TO
    That may have some merit. Phaneuf's wife would like California.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'll repeat what I say every year after the Sharks collapse... this team will NEVER win a cup with Thornton/Marleau as their leaders. Those guys simply are not winners. They don't bring it when it matters.

What's more... I'd be concerned that their softness is rubbing off on the young studs like Couture/Pavelski. You need to throw those young guys into the fire like the Hawks did with Toews and mold them into leaders early.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    It's not that they are bad players in any way, it's that they are soft players.
    And soft doesn't win championships.
    Exactly. Which is why "star" players like Thornton, Spezza, Bouwmeester and Nash will never win a Cup unless they are only counted on as "supporting cast" the way Jeff Carter was with the Kings in LA.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka