Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2013-2014 Yahoo! Rank by Category Score

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: 2013-2014 Yahoo! Rank by Category Score

If you set up a shared google spreadsheet... I can paste it over there.
    I do not know how to do these things... old dumb Pengwin.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For third straight season, I've exported Yahoo!s hockey stats to Excel to see if I could match their "Rank" algorithm.
    Last year I pegged it perfectly.
    This year, not so perfect.
    There are 860+ listed skaters and there are a few strange numerical differences at certain ranks that I couldn't fix.
    Bah.
    (Explanation: Each player's gray category score should be lower than the player above him in rank. Where there isn't the case, by my spreadsheet, there is a number showing the difference. I adjust pink cells manually, tediously, to try to minimize the sum of the differences. Last year I completely ironed it out to a perfect zero-error list... but this year, there are weird ones. Two noticeable ones occuring at #54 Kyle Turris value-too-high and #59 Clarke MacArthur value-too-low. ???)

Anyways - for those that like the in-depth numbers, attached is my PDF of how Yahoo (might) compile the "Rank" based on category scores.
    Yahoo's base 6 categories are: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG.
    Each player gets a weighted score in each category:

For example (for league leaders of top 50 skaters, say):
    80.863pts --> Ovechkin's 51 goals
    90.218pts --> Crosby's 68 assists
    38.000pts --> Bergeron's +38 [I use this as my "BASE" for my "score". +1 = 1pt. -1 = -1pts. Everything is weighted -see pink cells- off this.]
    51.844pts --> Backes' 119 PIM. (not league leader, but you get the point)
    79.717pts --> Backstrom's 44 PPP.
    103.87pts --> Ovechkin's 386 SOG.

Category scores are good to understand, because you can see what "increase" or "decrease" in value a player might have if a certain statistic changed.

For example,
    Ovechkin was a -35.
    If he had simply been a +0, he'd have +35 more points.
    That would put him at 313.450pts, still short of Crosby, but it would make Ovechkin a consensus #2 player in fantasy hockey, which is where he'll still likely be drafted.

Corey Perry was a +32.
    If levels out to something like +10, you could remove -22pts.
    That would send him down to 268.196pts... placing him below Benn/Seguin/Pavelski.

***This is for FULL-SEASON stats, exported straight out of Yahoo!***
    So obviously guys that were injured like Stamkos & Malkin are going to be much lower in "Rank" than they would for a full 82-game schedule.

Enjoy.
    -P7
    Great spreadsheet

I just wanted to mention that I used to do something similar to this every year for fantasy hockey, though I would adjust most of the numbers to 'per game' in order to adjust for injuries

I haven't done one since the lockout season and I can't find it on my computer, but I actually managed to figure out the algorithm. I really wish I could find it because I could probably figure out where you went off slightly.

The one thing I do remember is that +/- should never have a negative value on fantasy ranks. Yahoo may have used a set +/- value as essentially the '0', or, I believe what Yahoo did was take the lowest +/- in the league and essentially set that as 0 (min), then add the positive value of the lowest +/- to the highest +/- in the league and set that as 100 (max). In other words, if you are giving each category a value of 100, then the lowest +/- would be 0, highest would be 100, and every other player would have a value of {[(Player's +/-)-(worst +/-)]/[-(worst +/-)+(highest value]}*100.

I think thats what it was, it's been a long time but it was something along those lines

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post
    Great spreadsheet

I just wanted to mention that I used to do something similar to this every year for fantasy hockey, though I would adjust most of the numbers to 'per game' in order to adjust for injuries

I haven't done one since the lockout season and I can't find it on my computer, but I actually managed to figure out the algorithm. I really wish I could find it because I could probably figure out where you went off slightly.

The one thing I do remember is that +/- should never have a negative value on fantasy ranks. Yahoo may have used a set +/- value as essentially the '0', or, I believe what Yahoo did was take the lowest +/- in the league and essentially set that as 0 (min), then add the positive value of the lowest +/- to the highest +/- in the league and set that as 100 (max). In other words, if you are giving each category a value of 100, then the lowest +/- would be 0, highest would be 100, and every other player would have a value of {[(Player's +/-)-(worst +/-)]/[-(worst +/-)+(highest value]}*100.

I think thats what it was, it's been a long time but it was something along those lines

Appreciate the reply, but the +/- analysis is incorrect.
    It doesn't matter where I "set the zero" or "benchmark" for +/-.

Right now, -35 = -35pts... and +35 = +35pts.
    If I change -35 = 0pts... and +35 = 70pts... it doesn't matter. Every player still goes up by 35pts.
    The rankings would not change.

I nailed the algorithm last year using same concepts.
    Thus, the problem is not with +/- (my basis category score. All other factors are weighted off +/-)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Jesus P7. This is crazy good and in-depth. I cant rep you right now, mainly because everything you say is so informed and I always rep you lol.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Where can I score a copy of the spreadsheet?
    Hanson Bros Fantasy Hockey League
    12 Team Roto (25 player roster w/10 player farm), Goals, Assists, Pts, PPP, BS, Hits, PIM, GAA, Wins, SV%
    Yahoo Pool - 82 GP per spot. Full Keeper
    Reigning Champion - 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18
    F- MacKinnon, Kucherov, Schwartz, Boeser, Pastrnak, E.Kane, Rackell, Dvorak, Lee, Borgstrom, Connor, Johnsson
    D- Karlsson, Ristolainen, Hedman, Edler, Zadorov,
    G- Murray, Kinkaid
    Bench- Greenway, Saros, Jarry, Montour
    Farm: Gaudette, Patrick, Makar, Tolvanen, Hague, Kostin, Shesterkin, Sparks, Stuart Skinner, Colton Point