Thread: Did I make the right move traded for malkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Did I make the right move traded for malkin

Hey I made a trade would like some feedback. Earlier I posted about my perry and Glencross deals this one was little harder to do. Salary cap yahoo league the caps are on an auction basis not nhl related. Categories are Goals ast+/- ppp fow shp sog hits blk

I traded my mackinnon who is $3 cause of entry level deal and michalek$15 for this year. In return I received malkin $30 and a 4th round. I put in michalek to offset some salary I was taking on this allows me to bring up schefele and s jones. Thoughts please

Recap
    My mackinnon and michalek

for
    Malkin

I now have malkin Ovi kessel subban landeskog perry as some of my keys guys

Thoughts

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Did I make the right move traded for malkin

You got the best player in the deal for now, so it is a good deal from you, as well you are able to bring up some good young players - double win . The deal is good for your trading partner as he dumped a bunch of salary and pick up a potential superstar who is cheap for now. He is probably in rebuilding mode. This deal looks like a win / win for both parties.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

I...am your father.

I'm not even going to read your post. The subject line alone says this was the right deal.

Okay fine, I read your post. Yes - the right deal
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Superstar

So you're basically recieving the following:

Malkin/$30
    for
    MacKinnon/$18

Jones and Schiefele don't really factor in, because if you're taking on salary, you could have called them up anyways, unless you're freeing up a roster spot for one of them.

Like Magistew said, you're getting the best player for now, but there's a chance that changes. It's not hard to argue that best case scenario, MacKinnon reaches Malkin's level, but there are others who like the current shine of MacKinnon. Player wise, I think you win out. Salary wise, keeping MacKinnon for $3 is huge for another 2 years, as it allows you to do a lot more with your roster, but Malkin at $30 doesn't seem too bad. Ultimately, as long as it doesn't handcuff you with the rest of your roster, you should come out on top.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks guys hated moving mackinnon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I took over this team couple of years ago mackinnon was my first pick hard to move him but looking at my team I want to make playoffs and try to win. Now feel I have 2 of top 4 players in malkin and ovi and feel kessel Is top 10 looking up

Dobber Sports Deity

Anytime you have the chance to land a top 5 talent like Malkin you have to take it. MacKinnon will work his way up the ladder but he's not there yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Yes. You did fine here. Acquired a top 5 overall player. You have to give up huge talent to get huge talent. You made your team better with this trade.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I will disagree with replies above.
    I'm not convinced this was the right deal.

1. Michalek is not a factor. He's a throw-away at that salary.
    The trade is actually:
    Malkin $30
    for
    Mackinnon $3

2. We have no idea what your cap space is like.
    Trades are always apples-for-apples.
    So... let's use $35 worth of salary and compare a 2-for-2 deal at same amount.

Malkin ($30) + $5 re-bid player
    vs.
    Mackinnon ($3) + $32 re-bid player

Truth is... none of us know who those $5 re-bid player and $30 re-bid player will be.
    Let's pretend we know them.
    $5 - Justin Williams
    $32 - Sharp/Benn type player (I mean... we know that Malkin is $30... but at some value I assume... so does $32 win you a re-bid on a guy like Sharp?)

Let's try this again:
    Malkin & Justin Williams
    vs.
    Mackinnon & Sharp/Benn

Who wins?
    I'm not saying that this is how it would actually shake out... but in "cap" or "auction" leagues, you have to equate apples-to-apples, which means a 2-for-2 with same allocated funds.

It's a lot closer when looked at this way... ain't it.

So - depending on who those 2nd players are - I think the Mackinnon side could very well shake out ahead.
    After all, Mackinnon is going to put up at least 75% of Malkin's stats, IMO.

Let's take a deeper look at the real value, the discount, that each player provides.
    Malkin is a $30 salary, playing to a $40 value perhaps. ($10 discount)
    -so if we say that MacK can put up 75% of Malkin's stats, fair?, then-
    Mackinnon at $3 salary, would likely play to a $30 value (75% Malkin). ($27 discount)

In cap/auction leagues, the REAL value is how much your collective sum of players can outperform their draft value... or salary.
    Now - OBVIOUSLY on a 1:1 the Mackinnon side wins for value-over-cost.
    But throw in the complimentary players of J.Williams vs. Sharp/Benn-type player.
    In auction leagues, the lower bid players will typically have better value-over-cost.
    But... I still believe Mackinno+ Sharp/Benn would put up better total stats than Malkin + J.Williams (say).

Mackinnon-side here, for me.
    And it looks like a pretty BIG win, based on the numbers I'm churning out.

Dobber Sports Stud

I tend to agree with Pengwin here. I think in general, if you can land a top 3 guy like Malkin without giving one up, you do it. But Mackinon at 3$ has got to be the best value in the league. I mean, the guy will likely average over 140 points a season for the next 25 years! I even heard he can skate on water.

Serciously though, I can see a justification for either side of this deal, at the end of the day I think it'll be one of those deals where, if it helps you win your league next year and beyond then great deal for you. Otherwise you may have been better off standing pat.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In two years mackinnon Wil be more money then 3 dollars . What I meant by auction is and players who according to our league is free agent and not resigned can be bid on . For example brodeur was 20 dollars last season but he is free agent so depending on yahoo ranking I can resign him for 5 dollars or less or let him go to free agency . Yup hated moving mackinon but took chance on malkin