Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Byfuglien or McDonagh

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Byfuglien or McDonagh

Well that was interesting. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Back to the original post - I will be offering him a 2 for 1, but I don't feel I'd be really overpaying because I'll be dropping one of those guys anyway if I can't move him.

My 7 keepers locked in are Kane, Benn, Neal, Parise, Pietrangelo, OEL, Lundqvist. That only leaves room for 1 more keeper. Ideally I think it's better strategy to fill that last spot with another top end Dman instead of a 5th forward, since top dmen are quite valuable in my league.

I wasn't aware that Byfuglien is looking to be a forward all next season. That certain would change things.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, W. Johnston, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Well that was interesting. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Back to the original post - I will be offering him a 2 for 1, but I don't feel I'd be really overpaying because I'll be dropping one of those guys anyway if I can't move him.

My 7 keepers locked in are Kane, Benn, Neal, Parise, Pietrangelo, OEL, Lundqvist. That only leaves room for 1 more keeper. Ideally I think it's better strategy to fill that last spot with another top end Dman instead of a 5th forward, since top dmen are quite valuable in my league.

I wasn't aware that Byfuglien is looking to be a forward all next season. That certain would change things.
    Maurice already announced that Buff will be a F next year, so depending which service hosts your league, you could see a change as soon as this upcoming season......it's just something to keep in mind, as with those forwards Buff would not even be a keeper for you if he were to lose his D status. Personally, if you can find a manager willing to sell McD at a decent price, I think that is a fantastic investment.....his arrow is still pointing up and we haven't come close to seeing his full potential yet. McD is going to win a Norris at some point, and would have likely cracked 50 points if he did not get hurt at the end of this year.....and this is after an abysmal first month for the whole NYR team, and playing for a team that could not score goals this year. If the NYR offence wakes up next year, watch out!

Personally, I think this will be one of the last opportunities to snag McD at a reasonable price , so if you can acquire him I think that would be a very solid move. He is still at the stage where his "name value" is still not close to his actual fantasy value in many leagues....McDonagh was still only owned in 79% of Yahoo leagues at the end of the season, which is a total farce considering the unreal season he had. These are the players you really want to target via trade to maximize your return and value added. Who does your trade partner want in exchange?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If he'll take Simmonds/Bergeron for Buff, do that.
    Best case: Buff is still D, and gives you a huge upgrade at that position.
    Worst case: Buff is F only... and he's still a minor upgrade on either Simmonds/Bergeron.

For me, it's either a small win or a big win... depending on what your fantasy website does with Buff's positional eligibility.

If he declines, IMO you decide next year on whether you want to keep Simmonds -or- Bergeron, both of whom I like more than McDonagh in fantasy hockey with 6F/4D.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    If he'll take Simmonds/Bergeron for Buff, do that.
    Best case: Buff is still D, and gives you a huge upgrade at that position.
    Worst case: Buff is F only... and he's still a minor upgrade on either Simmonds/Bergeron.

For me, it's either a small win or a big win... depending on what your fantasy website does with Buff's positional eligibility.

If he declines, IMO you decide next year on whether you want to keep Simmonds -or- Bergeron, both of whom I like more than McDonagh in fantasy hockey with 6F/4D.
    I agree that that would be a very nice low-risk/high-reward deal, but I don't see a competent manager taking 2 non-keeper quality forwards in exchange for a top-5 dman in this format. With the limited keeper spots, the opposing manager would have to have abysmal forwards for both Bergeron and Simmonds to qualify as keepers for him....it's only keep-7.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I agree that that would be a very nice low-risk/high-reward deal, but I don't see a competent manager taking 2 non-keeper quality forwards in exchange for a top-5 dman in this format. With the limited keeper spots, the opposing manager would have to have abysmal forwards for both Bergeron and Simmonds to qualify as keepers.
    Depends - as you are saying... "Is Buff a D... or F?".
    It could be that this GM is starting to believe that Buff at F won't be much of a keeper.
    That's worth at least checking on.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Depends - as you are saying... "Is Buff a D... or F?".
    It could be that this GM is starting to believe that Buff at F won't be much of a keeper.
    That's worth at least checking on.
    Yup, if he's pushing the panic button on Buff's positional eligibility, definitely can't hurt to ask! .....I just have a hard time picturing any manager taking that deal as it's heavily in the Buff owner's favour to hang tight and and see what happens with his position rather than selling him for bottom dollar now with little info to work with. I think McD is a more realistic target in this case in terms of acquiring some value....he'd likely have to pay a lot less than he would for Big Buff, and he's for sure going to be extremely valuable in his format with way less risk.

Either way, OP, let us know what the other manager wants for both Buff and McDonagh, and we'll be able to give you some more specific help with those details.

Dobber Sports Stud

Since we do not know what will happen to D Buf's status as a Dman I would say the no brainer move is to acquire McD.

If you want to gamble on things then stick with the Buf but Maurice seems to have decided that he belongs on the wing. End of story as far as I am concerned

and yes I traded him in my leagues while the "value" is still relatively high
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

Maurice already announced that Buff will be a F next year, so depending which service hosts your league, you could see a change as soon as this upcoming season......it's just something to keep in mind, as with those forwards Buff would not even be a keeper for you if he were to lose his D status. Personally, if you can find a manager willing to sell McD at a decent price, I think that is a fantastic investment.....his arrow is still pointing up and we haven't come close to seeing his full potential yet. McD is going to win a Norris at some point, and would have likely cracked 50 points if he did not get hurt at the end of this year.....and this is after an abysmal first month for the whole NYR team, and playing for a team that could not score goals this year. If the NYR offence wakes up next year, watch out!

Personally, I think this will be one of the last opportunities to snag McD at a reasonable price , so if you can acquire him I think that would be a very solid move. He is still at the stage where his "name value" is still not close to his actual fantasy value in many leagues....McDonagh was still only owned in 79% of Yahoo leagues at the end of the season, which is a total farce considering the unreal season he had. These are the players you really want to target via trade to maximize your return and value added. Who does your trade partner want in exchange?

Is Maurice even signed on to coach next year yet?

For me, I want Buff over McD. I don't think he will lose his D status, at least not anytime soon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree that that would be a very nice low-risk/high-reward deal, but I don't see a competent manager taking 2 non-keeper quality forwards in exchange for a top-5 dman in this format. With the limited keeper spots, the opposing manager would have to have abysmal forwards for both Bergeron and Simmonds to qualify as keepers for him....it's only keep-7.
    Have to disagree with you there. In a 16 team keep 8 league and our scoring stats, both Bergeron and Simmonds are absolutely 100% keeper quality. Just for reference, both Bergeron and Simmonds had more fantasy points than Kane and Parise on my team, although they played more games. Simmonds was ranked 10th among wingers and Bergeron 9th among centres in the league.

I also just looked at his team and they both had more fantasy points than every forward on his team (his highest was Steen), so I know that the deal is solid.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, W. Johnston, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

I...am your father.

Buff over McD. Not close. McD coming off the best year he'll ever have. Buff a consistent stud in fantasy
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Buff over McD. Not close. McD coming off the best year he'll ever have. Buff a consistent stud in fantasy
    Wow, really??? You think McD was a flash in the pan? I have watched a ton of McDonagh and I have to strongly disagree with you on this one Dobber, there's no chance 43 points is his career high.......he did that with his entire team in a tail-spin for the first month, on a team that couldn't score period this year, and with missing the last 5 games of the season. I firmly believe that McD is going to win a Norris at some point in his career, and think he'll easily get into the 50 point plateau next year and beyond.

Also, the original question for this thread was not who is the better own in a vacuum (obviously Buff), but who OP should target in a trade given his situation.

I...am your father.

Wow, really??? You think McD was a flash in the pan? I have watched a ton of McDonagh and I have to strongly disagree with you on this one Dobber, there's no chance 43 points is his career high.......he did that with his entire team in a tail-spin for the first month, on a team that couldn't score period this year, and with missing the last 5 games of the season. I firmly believe that McD is going to win a Norris at some point in his career, and think he'll easily get into the 50 point plateau next year and beyond.

Also, the original question for this thread was not who is the better own in a vacuum (obviously Buff), but who OP should target in a trade given his situation.

No, I don't think he was a flash in the pan, he'll be a massively consistent fantasy asset posting in and around the same points he just got. I just don't see the next gear. I think if you believe that this was the first step of many, then you'll be disappointed. But hey - I'm wrong 48% of the time
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Buff is better if he'll be D eligible and even if he's moved to F in a roto league he's still valuable. If I were you I would approach the other owner and scare them about Buff's D status, see if you can swipe him at a significant discount because of that looming possibility! I think you could really use this to your advantage! If he doesn't budge, McD is certainly more than a consolation prize, he doesn't seem flash-in-the-pan to me either, thus retaining him as a key piece of my roster in a limited keeper.
    12 Team H2H. Full Keeper
    G/A/Points/PIM/PPP/FOW/SOG/HIT/BLK/W/GAA/SV/SV%/SO
    Malkin, Seguin, Perry, Monahan, TJohnson, Wheeler, Lucic, Nichushkin, Drouin, Datsyuk, Hossa, Holland, Bouma, Nieto, Colborne, Prust, Jooris
    Subban, Savard, Dillon, Murphy, Prout, Petrovic
    Lundqvist, Rinne

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    No, I don't think he was a flash in the pan, he'll be a massively consistent fantasy asset posting in and around the same points he just got. I just don't see the next gear. I think if you believe that this was the first step of many, then you'll be disappointed. But hey - I'm wrong 48% of the time

Ha, those odds aren't so bad! A appreciate the reply Dobber

I've owned McDonagh, Callahan, and Lundqvist on my keeper team for 3 years each now, and so have likely watched about 75% of Rangers games over that time span. I've very closely monitored McDonagh's development, and I firmly believe that there is another gear there. This year alone, I still saw improvement and huge increases in confidence up until he hurt his shoulder. Being a 1st-pairing guy at the Olympics was really huge for his confidence IMO, and so was the huge vote of confidence from his new coach who finally used him in an offensive capacity. After the Olympics, Vigneault was practically gushing about McD's game and was calling for Norris consideration. You could see this in McD's game after the Olympics as there were many games where he was all over the ice in all situations...almost Karlsson-esque. There was a stretch there where he had like 3 shorties in the span of a like 10 days if I remember correctly!

For argument's sake, let's say that there is not another gear and what we saw this year is the best we will see from McDonagh. He scored 14 goals and 43 points in 77 games. This includes the first month of the season that saw one of the more brutal starts in franchise history due to the 13 game road trip to start the season with the MSG renovations. On top of this, the team was learning to play for a new coach, and McD was still playing second or even third fiddle in terms of PP times as MDZ was still on the team and Moore and others were also getting a lot of looks running the point on the PP1. He only had 3 points through his first 10 games.....from that point on he was handed the reigns and was remarkable consistent considering the Rangers offensive woes. He finished extra strong after the Olympics like a man possessed. He is getting huge ice-time, and massive PP time as well....these numbers steadily climbed as the season progressed.

If you take out those first 10 games where the entire Rangers team were a fantasy black hole, McDonagh scored at a 0.597 ppg pace. After a full season under V, and a vote of confidence with the trade of MDZ, I see no reason why McDonagh cannot continue to produce at the 0.6 ppg pace that he has already shown that he is capable of in his current situation. That works out to 49 points over 82 games. If you are right and this is far as his offensive prowess develops, a 50 point player with his peripherals makes McDonagh a very valuable player in many formats. Hedman continues to take steps when many thought he had plateaud in terms of offensive potential......it took him some time to put it all together, and he's still getting better. McDonagh has a great deal of talent as well, and see no reason why he can't do the same continue to develop further to become a yearly 55 point threat, which would put him in rare air.

I don't think this was the first step of many for McDonagh, but I do believe that it is very likely the first step of at least a couple. Given the production rate and usage he displayed once the Rangers roster and coaching settled out, I don't think he needs to take that big of a step to reach that annual 55+ point potential.

Dobber Sports Master

McDonagh is the safer play and a consistent asset to be... But Buff is boom or bust so depending on your appetite for risk, you choose Buff as a target for the higher reward or McDonagh for the lesser return, but some more peace of mind..

Personally I gamble on Buff, even if he starts the year at F next season.. He has value on D and may find himself there again quite soon. His tools make him a stud contributor and worth what you're giving up to get. McDonagh is rather good, but not irreplaceable. I go Buff.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck