Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NBA drops the hammer on Clippers owner Donald Sterling

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: NBA drops the hammer on Clippers owner Donald Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I tend to agree w/ mcgoo here.

I don't think that getting the votes to oust Sterling is going to be the slam-dunk (pun definitely intended) that people assume that it will be. The commissioner acting unilaterally at the height of this media firestorm is one thing. Getting the NBA owners to a) reach a 75% consensus and b) enact a death sentence that doubtless some of them could foresee being used on themselves at some point in the future is quite another.
    Do you think so? I would be willing to bet that the vote is 29-0 in favour of removing him; or 29-1 if he actually gets to vote as well. It will be unanimous.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    Thanks for posting. Great news, but the league in general had been turning a blind eye to this for eons. Sterling has always been a bigot piece of shit. Sad that it takes tmz and twitter to make anyone pay any mind. If the NBA actual cared about the issue it would have been dealt with years ago. They only cared about the gong show that was created by the growing mob mentality. The 2.5 mil fine is the best. He's probably even more angry about that. He can qualify the not being a part of the NBA with his racist irrationality, but losing 2.5 mil is losing 2.5 mil no matter how you cut it. Hopefully he gets lowballed on the sale of the team as well.
    I agree. Silver did a solid job. The fine is good, but that phone interaction was the best!! Showed Sterling's true colors, no pun intended.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Veteran

Apparently he's getting the ban hammer from Seinfeld too.

http://video.adultswim.com/shorts/do...-seinfeld.html
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Do you think so? I would be willing to bet that the vote is 29-0 in favour of removing him; or 29-1 if he actually gets to vote as well. It will be unanimous.

Rylant

If the vote was public then yeah it would probably be unanimous because no owner is going to want to face the PR fallout from what would be perceived as endorsing the actions of Sterling. But it's not, it's going to be behind closed doors and they'll present their ultimate decision to the press as a united front. So now consider for a moment who owns NBA franchises....White dudes. Very rich, old, white dudes. Sure there are some young tech-boom guys like Cuban and that Pera kid and you've got MJ as the sole black man in the group but the overwhelming demographic is rich old white dudes. Wait, wasn't Donald Sterling a rich old white guy?! I'm willing to bet there's enough bigots in that pack to prevent such a vote and even without the bigots there will be several pragmatic businessmen that aren't going to like the idea of introducing a precedent that allows an asset worth close to a billion dollars to be sold out from underneath them. That's not gonna go over well, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    But the reality is, this will end up being a whole lot of nothing. Bluster, no substance. But nothing more that can be done, unfortunately
    You're right that it will ultimately probably not amount to much of anything, but it's hardly bluster or without substance. This is the kind of statement the league HAD to make. Anything less than this would have been perceived as complicit. The reality is that 80% of the NBA is made up of black players, as such the fan base is heavily skewed toward the black population. Consider a few numbers:

-blacks in the U.S. make up 12.6% of the population but they make up 45% of NBA viewership, that's HUGE!
    -the NBA also has the lowest age demographic of all professional sports, 45% of them are under 35

So break this down to a simple economics exercise (which I promise you is the leading motivation for the NBA's statement). Do you want to risk immediately alienating 45% of your audience? Actually even more than that because the younger generation tends to much less tolerant of racism. And furthermore, that young demographic is the most coveted age range to market to because they have the disposable income to spend on jerseys, hats, tickets, etc. These are the last people you want to piss off if you want your league to continue to make you very rich.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    My thoughts:

While Silver did everything he could and he did really well, it's really not a punishment. Let's investigate:

1. Banned for life. The guy's like, 80. So what...he's banned for 5 or 6 months? Due to croak any minute

2. Fined $2.5 million. And they'll enforce that...how? By threatening to ban him if he doesn't? Oops, already done. So...through the courts? Let's assume the courts are quick to rule in favor of the NBA - I'm sure the ruling will still take longer than the 6 months I give the old fogey to live.

3. Sell the team? Well now you give Sterling something to live for - he'll have a blast fighting this for 5 or 6 months until he dies. The NBA will have a ton of headaches with this until he kicks it.

Anyway, Silver did everything he could and more. Kudos. But the reality is, this will end up being a whole lot of nothing. Bluster, no substance. But nothing more that can be done, unfortunately
    Well, I inadvertantly called it - Sterling has cancer:

http://t.co/dbGm7PK9md
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi