Thread: Any Dresden Files fans?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Any Dresden Files fans?

Man do I love this series. Unfortunately I've only ever met 2 people who have read this series. One is one of best friends and I convinced him to read it. He and I talk about it all the time. The other guy is some guy who I've seen once since high school (8 years ago) and never really liked (though the fact that he is a Dresden Files fan has redeemed him to an extent). Mainly I just want to get the good news out about how ****ing awesome this series is though. Seriously, if you are looking for a new fantasy series to read this a really good one and a fun one to read too. They're even remaking each of the books in comic book form if that's your thing. When I first started listening to the audiobooks I was thinking it might be a bit too dorky but man did I get hooked. Now the main character just keeps getting more and more bad ass while the stakes in the story just keep getting higher and higher (yet they don't pass into the realm of ridiculousness, or at least not in an obnoxious way).

PS: I'm talking about the book series here not the show. The show was a complete failure as most SciFi Originals are.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

I...am your father.

Default Re: Any Dresden Files fans?

What is the genre, setting, etc?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Urban/contemporary fantasy. It's about a man named Harry Dresden who is a wizard/private detective in Chicago. Harry is a nerd but a total bad ass nerd. He solves mysteries usually involving warlocks, vampires, fairies, demons, etc. Jim Butcher (the author) really did a good job of creating an interesting world in the series. It doesn't really seem like the series has much of an over-arching plot through the first 5 or so books but eventually you get to see how everything is connected. It might take a couple of books to get into it but it is really worth it.

I don't really want to reveal too much about the series but here's a couple of things that happens just to get your interest. In one book he rides a zombie T-rex. In another he fights Santa Claus. (Trust me these things total make sense when you see why he does them.)
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Veteran

There are currently 14 books out with another due in May but the books are relatively short though they have been getting longer.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have to stop reading these threads. My book queue is getting longer than a Matt Cooke suspension (sorry it's the best hockey reference I could come up with at 6:15 ).

I might be able to squeeze this between the First Law Trilogy and Malazan Book of the Fallen.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

I...am your father.

Interesting, I'll add it to the list

And Sixty - Malazan will take you two years easily, so squeeze in what you can before hand haha
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Malazan will take you two years easily, so squeeze in what you can before hand haha
    Darn it!
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've read the first six, fun reads... Waiting for the next set seven, eight, nine to go on sale as a set like I've done twice before

Dobber Sports Master

Read my first Harry Dresden book about six months ago, and enjoyed it enough to start hunting for others. Like many of you, I am too deep into other book series to get into Dresden right now as much as I would like to. Currently plugging away at "A Dance With Dragons", book 5 of George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I've read the first six, fun reads... Waiting for the next set seven, eight, nine to go on sale as a set like I've done twice before
    Youll really like book 7. I think that's where the series really starts to hit its stride.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I just finished the newest book for the second time. So ****ing awesome.

In case some of you need more reasons to read/listen to the books here is some of the best fan art.

Harry+Dresden+resurrected+a+T.+Rex+using+Necromancy+and+controlled+_a26c1a35c2a31e8f95a8609b1ab7.jpg

Harry's fairy godmother.
    Leanansidhe%u00252BDresden%u00252BFiles.jpg

dreden_files_ursiel_demon_bear_by_dedhampster-d5gezun.jpg

the_Dresden_Files_Print_by_crisishour.jpg

1691113-gruff_standoff_by_dingoyellowdog_d2ymdtq.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Youll really like book 7. I think that's where the series really starts to hit its stride.
    Long time since I've read this thread... But at least on this series I can get the wife to buy in... On twelve and one half on wot, then game of thrones again before watching the series, books come first... So we can get them as we both enjoy than a lot.