Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pursue Yakupov?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Pursue Yakupov?

We all know he had a BIG sophomore slump and went in the doghouse. That said, most players go through sophomore slumps and I feel like now would be the time to acquire him. Especially before moves are made in the offseason with Edmonton.

Another GM has sent me an initial offer of his Yakupov + Rinne for MSL + Quick. As it stands, I'm not huge on the deal but the other GM acknowledged it is merely a starting point. What would you give up for Yakupov?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Pursue Yakupov?

that is just not even close imo

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yak currently looks like he'll put up 45-50pts next year... and people are probably starting to doubt whether he will be a consistent 60+ pt forward. (at least... I am).
    As a 1-for-1, I'd think somebody would have to offer a consistent 60+pt forward to get Yakupov... in most leagues.

Say...
    David Krejci.
    Patrice Bergeron.
    (Talking "points only", not multi-cat)

The bigger problem with Yak in fantasy leagues is that everybody holding him invested throroughly in him.
    If you bought a stock for $100... are you really going to sell it for $60?
    Even if you are starting to realize that long-term it might only every reach $80 max.
    People don't like to swallow their pride and take a loss.
    Most people would rather go down with the ship... as they say.
    So - with Yakupov owners - I think you'll find that they still view/hope him to perform better than anybody else in your league.

I'm not thrilled by Yakupov.
    On a points-only keeper... I'd probably trade away a guy like Loui Eriksson for him.
    But I'm not trading Joe Pavelski or a Krejci/Bergeron for him.

IMO, Yakupov has the biggest most uncertain range of any player I've watched in the NHL.
    Still could be 40pts... still could be 90pts...
    And I'm settling closest to the 60s, the more I watch him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    that is just not even close imo
    Yes, I wouldn't have done that offer. Main point was that he is shopping him, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it/what people currently think of him. There is a chance he would just do MSL for Yak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7
    I'm not thrilled by Yakupov.
    On a points-only keeper... I'd probably trade away a guy like Loui Eriksson for him.
    But I'm not trading Joe Pavelski or a Krejci/Bergeron for him.
    Thanks for the input. Would you do MSL for him in a keeper if the opportunity arose? A GM dropped Nichushkin in our playoffs as he was gunning for the championship, so my alternative plan is to keep MSL for next year, and draft Nichushkin to replace him as a keeper going into 2015-2016 (and maybe trade MSL during the season depending on how it's going). Not that my draft may unfold like that, but it helps ground the discussion: would you rather lose MSL and get Yakupov, or keep MSL for 1 year and have Nichushkin?

Dobber Sports Wizard

in a league that probably keeps about 80 forwards and has hits and blocks i am not sure i like Yak as one of those 80 to be honest

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'd rather have MSL for 3-4 years than Yak for the future.

Dobber Sports Veteran

in a league that probably keeps about 80 forwards and has hits and blocks i am not sure i like Yak as one of those 80 to be honest
    Fair enough. Thanks for the input! I was pretty on the fence myself, hence the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7
    I'd rather have MSL for 3-4 years than Yak for the future.
    That really hammers home your viewpoint. Thanks! It's interesting to see how well he's finally clicking now with Stepan and Nash.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Agree with Lucifer, also if Yaks flames out, he may be flying off to KHL after entry level deal done ( you left holding bag) - or have MSL for at least 3 more years and if you can draft Nischikin, you will be farther ahead.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Agree with Lucifer, also if Yaks flames out, he may be flying off to KHL after entry level deal done ( you left holding bag) - or have MSL for at least 3 more years and if you can draft Nischikin, you will be farther ahead.
    Yup, Oilers homer here and I 100% agree. The price would have to be VERY low on Yak for me to take a chance on him in that format. Personally, in multi-cat formats, Yak isn't even on my radar. I am not high at all on MSL moving forward, but would still much rather have him for 2-3 years over Yak.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Guru

I think Yak is a great buy low. But with the deal in the original post, you're buying high. If anything, you're buying high on Yakupov (and Rinne), and selling way too low on MSL and Quick.

If you can't get Yakupov cheap, then he's not worth getting right now. Too much uncertainty.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post

If you can't get Yakupov cheap, then he's not worth getting right now. Too much uncertainty.
    This is bang on.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yak sucks, avoid him like, well, the plague.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Does anyone else feel that if somehow Yak was magically in a place like Dallas with Seguin and Benn, or in Colorado with Roy letting him run loose, we wouldnt be having this conversation?

I had really high hopes for Yak after the shortened season, he looked like the real deal....a deadly young sniper with a quick, powerful and accurate shot, good skating, and most importantly fantastic offensive instincts. I was able to aquire him in two of my leagues but ended shipping him and cutting my losses this year. I really think hes going to have a hard time fullfilling his potential unless something changes and believe that his relationship with Eakins may be a massive stumbling block.

Dobber Sports Ace

Agree with much of what is written.

If you want him, don't overpay because we have no idea how this all will work out.

But if you have him, don't drop him for nothing. For heavens sake, he could be traded somewhere where he's given a chance to shine. Are people dropping Huberdeau like mad after a nine-goal, 28 point season? Maybe. But I think most are willing to give him another year. I'd suggest the same with Yakupov.

**Yes, i have him in one of my keeper leagues**

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have mixed feelings towards Yakupov. I agree with most here that you shouldn't give up too much for him. From what I see online people tend to be very short sighted when it comes to rookies, it really is what have you done for me lately.

That said, there were many reasons for him being the #1 overall pick. He posted great numbers in junior and has all the tools to be an elite goal scorer in the NHL. This year with Eakins couldn't have helped him and if it's the same situation next year I don't see Yak making the jump and posting 55-60 points. It will all depend on what happens this offseason, whether he is traded or Eakins is fired. But a change of scenery could do wonders for Yak.

I also do not think he is KHL bound. Yakupov chose to come to Canada and play in the OHL because he wants to play in the NHL. It would have been easier for him to be like Nichuskin and stay in the KHL and get paid millions before getting drafted. What happens next year if Nichuskin has a sophomore slump, will people be this down on him? I would think he would be more of a flight risk if he goes through similar troubles to Yak. Furthermore, for all the love Nichuskin is getting he only had 3 more points in his rookie season compared to Yak, in 31 less games, even with the opportunity to play with Seguin and Benn.

I had Yak on my team this year and won't be keeping him (unless he gets traded) but I am also not willing to write him off just yet and would look to draft him again next year.