Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - April 24, 2014

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Re: Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - April 24, 2014

Hey Dobber,

1000 players deep, 30 team 25 keeper multi x multi cap league, start 6D:

Wondering about 2 young D in Klefbom and Sustr. My hopes are that they can fill the spots alongside Schultz and Hedman long term. Fantasy points are great, but I have others doing that, just looking for the caddy to go with the #1 offensive Dman on their respective teams and will be happy with they produce from playing the first pairing role. Sustr played a lot with Hedman against Montreal and I thought looked really good while Klefbom was paired with Schultz a lot down the stretch. What say you about these 2 guys long term?

Dobber Sports Star

Hey Dobber,

My current Centers are Stamkos, Couture and Stepan. I will probably have to drop 1 or 2 before our draft as we only keep 6. (We can play a second center in our weekly lineup as a skater)

I was wondering if I should try to acquire Duchene if the price is right (he could be available, already checked) or do you think I should keep my assets (draft picks) because Couture or Stepan will do the job next year.

Thanks
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dobber I capped a 5.5 year rebuild with a regular season championship. I have a strong roster but I believe that cheap depth is a big reason I won. The league is 30 team salary capped dynasty league with 30 man pro rosters within which we start 12 forwards, 6d and 1 goalie. I'm looking for your opinion on some of the depth players I'm juggling. It's a points league where we count G, A, PIM, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG, Hits and Blocks. As an example Tavares put up 37.6 Fantasy Points per Game (FPG), Malkin put up 42.7, Backes put up 43.07 and Lucic put up 37.6. Which is to say that the addition of hits and blocks have really propped up power forwards, Lucic got 6 fpg from hits alone and Backes closer to 8 fpg.

To that end I'd like your opinion on these players going forward:
    Zack Smith 19.68 fpg
    Dwight King 21.14 fpg
    Matt Beleskey 25.6 fpg
    Patrick Maroon 27.95 fpg
    Mike Santorelli 24 fpg
    Matt Calvert 22.3 fpg

(those 6 will fill out my last 4 forward starting slots)

Matt Bartkowski 20.94 fpg
    Mark Borowiecki 27.38 fpg (I think he could be the next Gudas)

And 2 with really small sample sizes:
    Christian Folin
    Kevin Czcuzman

1 one of those 4 d will fill out my last starting D slot

Sorry for the really long list.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Currently have Shattenkirk and Hedman as my 2 keeper D-Men.
    A Doughty owner is getting a bit tired of waiting for Doughty to reach his scoring prowess displayed a couple years back.
    League focuses on G-A-PTS...no credit for PIMS, Hits, etc.
    Do I stand pat with the 2 D-Men I currently have or trade for Doughty in hope he'll fulfill in PTS?
    RFHL: 12 Member League Founded 1989 Rochester, NY
    Limited 10 Positional Player Keeper League
    G, A, PTS, 2W+OL, SV%, GAA
    C: Tavares, Kopitar, BJugstad, Kesler, Fabbri
    LW: Hall, Benn, Voracek, Fabbri
    RW: Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, MacKinnon
    D: Hedman, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Parayko, S. Jones, Pietrangelo
    G: Price, Murray

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

your datsyuk 82 game point projection next season? you expecting a bounce back or think he's lost a step?

thanks in advance.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Hey Dobber. Thanks for your time... We're doing a dispersion draft in our league.... I just took a swing at Buchnevich. Curious to hear your thoughts on 1) if he crosses the pond, and 2) what type of production to expect.

Thanks in andvance.
    I'm 60-40 on him coming over, and he won't be coming next season as he's still signed. I think he has Brad Marchand type of upside, with more of an edge.

There is a really good profile on him here:
    http://prospects.dobbersports.com/in...vel-buchnevich

Our scout covering the Rangers is based in Europe and his insight on Buchnevich in particular is very enlightening.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for doing this, Dobber.

Points-only, what sort of numbers do you see for Justin Schultz and Ondrej Palat next year and beyond?

Thinking the sky is the limit for Schultz, but heavily dependant on how the Oilers progress.

I was also really impressed with Palat, but kinda concerned about him getting lost (so to speak) in the forward depth in TBay. I mean, he's top-six, but does he skate avec Stamkos, PP time, etc, particularly with Drouin on the way..

My final roster spot may come down to one of the two....

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Thanks for doing this.

Can Sekera repeat this season's production?

Also will Jussi Jokinen ( I'm assuming Pittsburgh will re-sign him )?

Sounds like a shakeup is coming in Toronto. Do you think they chance ruining the Kessell/Bozak chemistry and bring in someone to replace Bozak as first line centre? If they do what does that do to Bozak's production?
    He sure can (Sekera) and I'll be drafting him - others won't value him as high and I'm certain I'll get him. The only question is, will he miss five games or 20 games? He gets hurt a lot. But for now, the job is his.

Joni Pitkanen coming back from injury could hurt things, but it's Pitkanen - he'll be back on the IR again in not time.

I don't know if the Pens will sign JJ. He doesn't get much respect around the league, so it's no guarantee. NHL teams will see that he got his points thanks to linemates (or they will assume as much) and so it's quite possible that he'll float around free agency for a couple of months. I think he's peaked, but if he stays in Pittsburgh then he'll top 50 points again.

I don't think they mess with Bozak and Kessel, but if they do then Bozak is a 40-45 point guy.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by rambOwned View Post
    Hey Dobber!

In preparation for next year's draft (a few months down the line), I was wondering if you did a players ranking that included both skaters and goalies.

I am particularly interested in at which point do you think the transition between your Tier 1 and Tier 2 goalies would be, in relation to skaters.

ie: I should be targeting Bishop/Crawford/Bob right around the time ____________ is being drafted.

Thanks

I never draft with both on the same list - it's as bad an idea as I can think of in fantasy hockey. You drop everything and start drafting goalies as soon as the first one gets taken. Then after you have one, you pick your list back up and get back to it. Then, when all the Tier 1 goalies are gone and you see people eyeing the Tier 2 goalies, you drop your list again and go after a goalie. You really need two lists. Because some drafts, the goalie you have to draft will need to be taken with your 8th overall pick. In other drafts, depending on what the competition does, maybe you draft the same goalie with your 38th pick.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by c00per67 View Post
    Hey Dobber - I have Toffoli but because of roster limits I'd like to trade him for someone not in the NHL yet - who of these do you think is comparable/possible to get in a trade? Domi, Forsberg, Teravainen, Gaudreau, Grigorenko
    I don't know if you could get Teravainen for him, but to me that seems fair. The others, to me, are below Toffoli, but close enough that maybe if they added draft picks it could get done.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Thanks Dobber!

What do you see in goals and points next year and in 3 for:

Nyquist
    Scheifele
    Schultz

thanks!

Let's assume full health:
    Nyquist - 60 next year. 70+ in three
    Scheifele - 65 next year. 70+ in three
    Schultz is the wildcard. If the Oilers suck like this yet again, then I think next year will be a repeat for Schultz too. But if the Oilers have their 'Pittsburgh' or 'Chicago' moment - where they suddenly go from crap to good (and if you remember - for PIT and CHI that was very very sudden), then Schultz would top 50 points. In three years, depending on team growth, he will either Cam Barker his way out of the league, or he'll be a star 60-point defenseman.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    Hey Dobber, thanks for doing another mailbag..
    might be a tough question to answer off the top of your head, but i'll take a shot anyways.
    Im in a deep keeper league that counts player salaries and i was able to find a bunch of cheap Defenders that helped out in the hits and blocks categories without hurting too much in the other scoring cats like Emelin, Faulk, Barrie, de Haan, Donovan.. but since they are all due for a raise next season, i was if you knew of the next wave of players similar to these young guys who will similarly produce at a cheap cap
    Of the top of my head Nick Holden and Martin Marincin. Sbisa and Ericsson if they can stay healthy a little.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    Darren suggested keeping Gagner instead of Kucherov because of the logjam at forward on Tampa Bay. Otherwise the same forwards. He suggested keeping OEL, Schultz and Faulk.

Since I have you once again I'll ask two more questions! I didn't include L. Eriksson among the forwards (he's the elder statesman of my team) - so, which five of eight; Eriksson, TT, Strome, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Gagner, Silfverberg and Colin Wilson?

Also, I've got the third pick in the upcoming draft. My top five (points only, bonus points for PP goals, SH goals) is, in order: Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, Dal Colle, and Nylander. Do you agree with my assessment of their long-term potential?

Thanks again.
    I think I'd go Eriksson over Gagner and over Kucherov. Then I'd shop him

I still haven't dug deep into the draft yet. I'll be digging deep starting tonight and over the next few weeks.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I picked CHI and BOS to go deep in my playoff cash pools (BOS winning it all). How do you like my chances?
    Not bad, as good as any - if CHI gets out of this round you'd look pretty damn good

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Karhgath View Post
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, Hits, BS, PPP, SOG, Wins, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

I just won the cup this year, thanks to my opponent having tons of IR/slow players, but it wasn't expected: I've been downhill since 3 years, my core is starting to score less and less and my goalie won it.

Now, we're having an expansion, going from 10 to 12 teams. For that we must protect players and we will each lose between 2 and 6 players (no less/no more). I have 2 picks in the first round this year (5th and 10th) and I've been looking to do a quick 1-2 years rebuild to refresh my core for a couple of years, so that might be the time to do it now because of the expansion.

1- I can protect 1-2-3 goalies, but the more I keep, the less D and F I can keep. (1G-7D-18F or 2G-6D-16F or 3G-5D-14F) - Do I protect Rask/Lundqvist only or also Khudobin? Expected avail. goalies: Luongo, Backstrom, Mason, etc.

2- I can either protect my older vets, or protect younger players and only 1-2 vets, or a mix of both? Since at worst I lose 6 vets, I was thinking of not protecting them and going with the undrafted one + youngs, is that a good idea?

3- Trading before the expansion is hard because of protection limits, but another option is to try to trade Rask or Lundqvist for a top player/bluechip, and roll with the other + Khudobin/Drafted goalie (Harding is undrafted + Gibson, F. Andersen, etc), would that be advisable?

Must Protect (I think?):
    - Getzlaf, Perry, Phaneuf, EOL, Pietrangelo, Parise, Kessel, Stastny

Veterans:
    - Giordano, Markov, Timonen, Ott, B. Boyle, Kesler, H. Sedin, D. Sedin, Dustin Brown, E. Johnson, Berglund, Tlusty

Youngs:
    - Voynov, Craig Smith, Killorn, Reilly Smith, Jenner, Boedker, Soderberg, Bjugstad, Brendan Smith, Girgensons, Morin, J. Larsson, Spooner, Jaskin, Rackell, Beck

I didn't include marginal players I don't intend to keep. Thanks Dobber.
    You have to protect Rask and Lundqvist both. No question.

Protect the players with the most trade value. Forget out young vs. old. Protect assets. You can turn a Sedin into two Boedkers, for example. So why protect Boedker over Sedin?

Add Gio and the Sedins to your must protect list

Do not trade Rask or Lundqvist. Build around them, and make them untouchable