Thread: Tyler Myers potential

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Tyler Myers potential

We all know the story, kid comes out and plays great. Poolies drooling over his potential upside, he signs the new contract and takes a large step backwards.

what do you think his chances are to meet our expectations or perhaps better put YOUR expectations

a friend who watches most Sabres games tells me that his past season he showed some of his Calder promise but hedging his bets then added that Risto-Zador can easily take over the top pairing minutes. I mentioned that the Oilers would probably love to get a taste of Myers skillset on their blueline.

So what do you think

Keep or Trade ?
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Tyler Myers potential

If I was Buffalo, I’d trade him to the West. He can bring in a strong forward to help upfront. I’m not to familiar with the Sabers, but I think they are pretty deep at D when it comes to potential youth. Also with their picks in the 1st round this yr, they can fill some D holes for the future.

As for a fantasy owner, I wouldn’t waste my time on him. With the amount of younger, better D out there, Myers is no longer a diamond. Lindholm, Fowler, Reilly, Gardiner, Sekera (not young, but new to fantasy scene), Ekblad, Goligoski, Krug, Hamilton, Seth Jones, and Kulikov. There’s a lot more young D that would provide more in a fantasy format than Myers.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Appreicate the quick feedback 2014OG

I realize I failed to mention the specifics about leagues and whatnot

I agree in Fantasy he is currently a non factor, and for cap related things he is worse than useless.

I have him in my sim league where he took a regular shift on the 2nd pairing and my squad made it to the semi finals

I think he bounces back and has a very nice career, but perhaps its best for him that he continues playing outside Buffalo
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Titan

I’m still not a fan of Myers really. He’s a decent shut down man because of his size, but I still think there are other options out there besides Myers. I’m not familiar with Sim leagues so I can’t 100% give better options or any strong feedback. However my hockey knowledge puts a red flag up on D and goalies that have great rookie yrs on bad teams. It’s a position where most greats don’t just walk on. A bigger flag goes up when their best season was their rookie yr. I’d look to Seth Jones to replace Myers if you want to replace him. Barry Trotz is gone, so a new coach might implement a more offensive system helping his points. But he’s also on their shutdown line with Weber.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

In Sim hockey, defensemen prevent goals

any offense you get from the blueline is gravy

Again I appreciate the call on Tyler !

I see value w/him in leagues that award shots. He may not hit the point totals in his initial rookie year, but his shot totals will see a significant uptick under this new regime. I like his value in roto and multi cat leagues, but in leagues w/only Gs and As his value has probably plateaued. I don't see him as more than a 40-45 pt dman tops.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Think he is going to turn into more of a shutdown D man in the future, being paired with an offensive guy. Might be a good option for Buffalo to try and trade him, as right now they can trade him for potential still. Stated before there are a few teams out west that need a D-man his size. Think he would also like to go to Edm.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO