Thread: Unlikely matchup - Bergeron vs. Kopitar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Unlikely matchup - Bergeron vs. Kopitar

This is one I’ve been wanting to touch on for some time. At first glance it seems like a slam dunk for Kopitar. When thinking of his name you immediately envision of offence – the big center with soft hands who can routinely be counted on for 70 points.

What’s interesting is that Bergeron has thrown a wrinkle in his game this year that we hadn’t seen since his pre-concussion days – he’s shooting again. This year he fired 243 pucks at opposing nets, the 24th most of any forward. 30 goals was the most he had scored since 2005-06 when he finished with 31.

Kopitar, on the other hand, continued to post “good” but far from “great” numbers under Darryl Suter and his defensive structure. For a brief moment it looked like Anze would be one of those rare centermen that doubled as a volume shooter. In 2009-10 he posted 81 points and 259 shots, elite totals. I can remember a lot of headlines anointing Kopitar as the newest member of the BIG 4 (at that time it was still only Malkin, Ovechkin, and Crosby). And he may very well have been if it hadn’t been for LA’s coaching change.

Since then Mr.Kopitar has settled comfortably into that 70 point, 220ish shot range. Respectable totals to be sure, but better than Bergeron?

I don’t know where I fall on this one. Both guys are absolutely elite in plus minus (playing on two contending squads), neither does much in the way of penalties (if only one day we can remove this from pools). When it comes to points there is an obvious edge to Kopitar. The question we’re left to resolve is whether Bergeron’s shot totals more than make up for it (remember he has shot over 300 times – albeit a decade ago)

If we’re talking trade value I’m guessing that Kopitar still retains the most value. However, if you’re drafting them based purely on production, which way do you lean?
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: Unlikely matchup - Bergeron vs. Kopitar

Kopitar is who I would take every time. Not even up for discussion here. If the only thing that's keeping Bergeron in this dicussion is the hope that he will continue to shoot over 240 sog per year at this year's scoring pace then that's just gambling. Despite the two of them having somewhat similar stats, Kopitar will always be the offence guy and Bergeron will always be the defensive guy.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Banned

both are elite nhl centerman.
    kopitar is just a little better.

The Wolverine

Another reason to choose Kopitar is looking at power play points over the last three seasons:

Kopitar: 23, 28 (pro-rated), 26
    Bergeron: 11, 8 (pro-rated), 14

In fantasy with PPP as a category, that is a huge difference. Bergeron hasn't been a big PPP guy since 06/07.

Dobber Sports Icon

In fantasy hockey, all things being equal, I take Kopitar over Bergy. That being said, I would much rather draft Bergeron in the fifth round than Kopitar in the third. Kopitar is one of those players that often goes too early in a draft while there are other more valuable options still on the board.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Another reason to choose Kopitar is looking at power play points over the last three seasons:

In fantasy with PPP as a category, that is a huge difference. Bergeron hasn't been a big PPP guy since 06/07.
    This is a great post right here. REP.
    Especially since PPP is the rarest of fantasy hockey stats... it's seldomly available on the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Kopitar is who I would take every time. Not even up for discussion here. If the only thing that's keeping Bergeron in this dicussion is the hope that he will continue to shoot over 240 sog per year at this year's scoring pace then that's just gambling. Despite the two of them having somewhat similar stats, Kopitar will always be the offence guy and Bergeron will always be the defensive guy.
    It depends on where Kopitars points end up. If Anze is a 70 point guy and Bergeron can settle into that 60ish range then I think it's closer than we may have initially thought
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post

Definitely a great point. Kopitar is regularly one of the best PPP options. I don't think I'm trying to make the point that Bergeron is necessarily a superior asset, just that it's closer than we would have thought a couple years ago when Anze was an 80 point, 250 shot guy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    In fantasy hockey, all things being equal, I take Kopitar over Bergy. That being said, I would much rather draft Bergeron in the fifth round than Kopitar in the third. Kopitar is one of those players that often goes too early in a draft while there are other more valuable options still on the board.
    Interesting point on the "value". Kopitar has a lot more name recognition then Bergeron, driving up your price.

... I keep watching that Subban Marchand video and hoping that one of these days it connects haha