Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Name your washed up team of NHL-ers

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Name your washed up team of NHL-ers

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    sorry but that is the myth of the veteran presence

the reality is that 9 out of 10 times they get the big payday and mail it in for the rest of their careers

or people extrapolate a single play to mean every time when sometimes a once in a lifetime play is just that once in a lifetime

trust me as a Ranger fan i have seen countless vets not live up to know what you are getting myth
    I don't disagree with that. But I'm just saying that if you're the GM of a team that wants to make the playoffs, and you can pay $5 million to a 30-year-old who has scored 30 goals in a season twice, topped 65 points once and won a Cup, you might be more inclined to do that as opposed to playing a 19-year-old that might never get 30 goals and 65 points. You know one guy can score 30 goals, because he's done it before, so you hope he can do it again.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

I would say Briere is the reason why teams keep older guys around. He was a healthy scratch here and there all yr, but playoffs come around and Briere is a top 6 player. Cheering for Tampa, every time Briere touched the puck my heart would race. He just seems to become unreal in the playoffs.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I don't disagree with that. But I'm just saying that if you're the GM of a team that wants to make the playoffs, and you can pay $5 million to a 30-year-old who has scored 30 goals in a season twice, topped 65 points once and won a Cup, you might be more inclined to do that as opposed to playing a 19-year-old that might never get 30 goals and 65 points. You know one guy can score 30 goals, because he's done it before, so you hope he can do it again.
    in a salary capped sport if you are relying on wishing on a star to make your major roster decisions for you you shouldn't be a GM

hoping is for fans, it should have no part in the decision making process on how to run a team

for me scouting and projecting are completely different from trying to catch lightning in a bottle

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I would say Briere is the reason why teams keep older guys around. He was a healthy scratch here and there all yr, but playoffs come around and Briere is a top 6 player. Cheering for Tampa, every time Briere touched the puck my heart would race. He just seems to become unreal in the playoffs.
    Briere has nearly a point per game in the playoffs during his career, his age is not why he is playing well in the playoffs

and to think that another player that doesn't have that kind of playoff background can do the same thing just because they are an identical age seems pretty foolish

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Guru

in a salary capped sport if you are relying on wishing on a star to make your major roster decisions for you you shouldn't be a GM

hoping is for fans, it should have no part in the decision making process on how to run a team

for me scouting and projecting are completely different from trying to catch lightning in a bottle
    Scouting and projecting is trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Scouting and projecting is trying to catch lightning in a bottle.
    no it isn't

catching lightning in a bottle is a 1 time thing you don't draft a player expecting a 1 time return out of them

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Guru

no it isn't

catching lightning in a bottle is a 1 time thing you don't draft a player expecting a 1 time return out of them
    I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Dobber Sports Stud

Given his career high of 60 points, not sure if Legwand qualifies as washed up but either way - he is old and bad.

Also, most former star players who go to new york become washed up in a few years. New York is where careers go to die.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Banned

Somehow my quotes didn't work, but I was referring to Shiva Blasters comment about Old guys paying their dues etc. and the following quote.

Because you know what you're getting with the older guys. You've seen them in clutch situations, playoffs, down one late in a game, etc. You know what they can do, what they have done, and hope they can do it again. The young guys, you're never quite sure about
    That's exactly what's wrong with the NHL I believe.

Too often these old bums have the experience, but they are just plain brutal and slow. Yes I understand a young kid has no resume, but you need to allow them to build one. Look at Mackinnon for example this year. Lights out these playoffs. And he is a LOT more exciting than briere.

The fact that the NHL is a union, I believe is a big mistake as well. Why the hell do people making THAT kind of money need a union anyway. It's just a stupid way of securing lazy bastards a job.

I have been part of a union for 7 years in a government job, and it was the same way. Keeps the lazy useless employed.

I am going a bit off track here, but I think it's all related. I truly hope we can get young guys, whether they pan out or not, in the league over the old bums. If they don't work out, they will be out of the league really fast anyways. Give em a 1 year contract to prove themselves, and then go from there.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Somehow my quotes didn't work, but I was referring to Shiva Blasters comment about Old guys paying their dues etc. and the following quote.

That's exactly what's wrong with the NHL I believe.

Too often these old bums have the experience, but they are just plain brutal and slow. Yes I understand a young kid has no resume, but you need to allow them to build one. Look at Mackinnon for example this year. Lights out these playoffs. And he is a LOT more exciting than briere.

The fact that the NHL is a union, I believe is a big mistake as well. Why the hell do people making THAT kind of money need a union anyway. It's just a stupid way of securing lazy bastards a job.

I have been part of a union for 7 years in a government job, and it was the same way. Keeps the lazy useless employed.

I am going a bit off track here, but I think it's all related. I truly hope we can get young guys, whether they pan out or not, in the league over the old bums. If they don't work out, they will be out of the league really fast anyways. Give em a 1 year contract to prove themselves, and then go from there.
    Don't disagree with any of this, I was just stating the fact that a union environment protects older players and it's not as simple as only performance dictating playing time and opportunity. I didn't claim that this is the right or proper way, it's just the reality of the situation.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Legend

I hate to say it but Kimmo Timonen is cooked. He can anchor the top D pairing on this team.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I hate to say it but Kimmo Timonen is cooked. He can anchor the top D pairing on this team.
    Always liked Kimmo........he's getting up there though, and has almost achieved grey-beard status.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Administrator

Alex Ovechkin.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Mike Richards, Eric and Jordan Staal(ed)
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship