Poll: Will the Lightning make the playoffs in 2014-2015?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tampa won't make the playoffs next year

Banned

Default Re: Tampa won't make the playoffs next year

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Tampa Bay is a very solid team. Ottawa is not.
    Not sure I agree with that actually. Looking back at the last 5 seasons, Ottawa has consistently been a playoff contender while TB is all over the map, one year all boom, the next all bust, the team lacks consistency and discipline. That's part of why they lost so dramatically to the Habs and that's why they're so streaky.

Last 5 years (Playoff years in bold, * is pro-rated pts from lockout season)

OTT - 94, 74, 92, 95*, 88
    TB - 80, 103, 84, 68*, 101

keep in mind too that until this year TB had the luxury of competing in that crapstatic Southeast division

Dobber Sports Monster

Lots of candidates for the ole' " Sophmore slump" tag could take hold and also they have a decent chance to lose Callahan. It's gonna be a close call. I think Drouin could play a big role as well as a positive or negative. 50/50 shot to make it ( like any team ) but I think they just barely miss the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Even in Ottawa's poor year, they were basically even with Tampa in their H2H season matchup (and even better against MTL who just swept Tampa).
    Tampa was also much better against Montreal in the regular season than Ottawa was. So I don't think that proves very much.

I think Tampa will make the playoffs again. They don't need to be great to make the playoffs in the East. Stamkos getting 50-60 goals will help. Some of their young guys will regress (usually happens after a good year), but some will improve. Bishop has temporarily proven he can carry the load, but needs to stay healthy.

I do think they'll work to fix their defence though. Everyone is talking about how their defence wasn't good enough. You don't think Tampa noticed it as well? I think they'll make a move to get better back there, and bring in a top-four dman and an extra sixth-seventh dman.

And if Callahan leaves (and let's be honest, he wasn't very good in the playoffs), I think Tampa will work to bring in a veteran leader who can help show the team what they need to do to win.

A lot of teams go through troubles when they first make the playoffs. The Pens were schooled by the Sens back in 2007, but then brought in Gary Roberts and went to back-to-back finals. I don't think Tampa will go on to the finals next year, but I think they'll make enough tweaks so they'll make the playoffs pretty easily.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Stud

I think I could start the same thread for about every other team in the East save for Boston and the odds would be in my favour.

I don't know if the lack of cohesion on the ice is a reflection of their play under normal circumstances, but they did not strike me as a particularly well-coached team.

They certainly need major help at the blueline. Brewer looks done. Gudas needs to go down to 12-15 minutes.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    ...while TB is all over the map, one year all boom, the next all bust, the team lacks consistency and discipline. That's part of why they lost so dramatically to the Habs and that's why they're so streaky.
    Probably one of the worst posts I've ever seen you make.
    Looking back at a team over the last five years might be OK if it has been the same coach & same players...
    ...but when you've got a newer team with newer coach, why go back to when they were just a sliver of that team.

There is no point, none... of looking at Tampa Bay's performance from any more than the last two years.
    They didn't have Cooper in 2011-2012. In fact, Cooper only coached 16 games even last year.
    They didn't have Tyler Johnson or Palat or Killorn or Gudas in 2011-2012. (nor did they have Filppula - a very solid signing)
    (Oh... and where were these young guys in 2011-2012?... I'll give you a hint... same place Jon Cooper was at.)

I mean... just look at TB's leading scorers from last year (or 2011-2012):
    *St.Louis (gone)
    *Stamkos
    *Purcell
    *Lecavalier (gone)
    *Conacher (gone)
    *Carle
    *Pouliot (gone)

New this year: Palat, T.Johnson, Filppula
    Make a list of all the TB forwards on the "downside" of their careers.
    It's not long.
    And of course they have Drouin.
    And Brett Connolly might be fit for this team next year.

You're looking at a very, very, very deep top nine, immediately.
    And of those top nine, perhaps two (Stamkos & Purcell) were a main part of this team in 2011-2012.

Not. the. same. team.
    Not. the. same. coach.

Forget looking back to 2011-2012 and previous.
    It bears absolutely no weight (none) on evaluation of where this TB team is heading... which is up.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I think I could start the same thread for about every other team in the East save for Boston and the odds would be in my favour.
    Yeah that's sort of the take away for me too.

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's not long.

Because that strategy of building around a group of young talented, inexperienced forwards worked out so well for Edmonton? I don't think having young, inexperienced forwards with decent upside necessarily equates to depth... as they demonstrated during these playoffs.

On the subject of Sens vs. TB... I think Ottawa is definitely the more "solid" overall team when you consider depth at all positions, leadership, grit, experience, talent, etc.

Time will tell, but if if I had to predict, I think both these teams had "outlier" seasons this year, and next season will see more of a regression to the historical norm: ie: Ottawa makes it, and TB is on the outside looking in.

The East is a lot shittier than the West from a competitive point of view, but DET coming over really means that there's one less spot up for grabs for the "fringe" teams, because Detroit ALWAYS makes the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Because that strategy of building around a group of young talented, inexperienced forwards worked out so well for Edmonton? I don't think having young, inexperienced forwards with decent upside necessarily equates to depth... as they demonstrated during these playoffs.
    Oh... sound the guards.
    Blayze is here with his profound hockey analysis.

I would never compare TB to Edmonton.
    Edmonton doesn't have a quality system... nor do they have a quality coach... or decent defensemen... nor do they play in the weak Eastern Conference.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would never compare TB to Edmonton.
    Edmonton doesn't have a quality system... nor do they have a quality coach... or decent defensemen... nor do they play in the weak Eastern Conference.
    Yeah... so much quality that they got ripped to shreds by an average Montreal squad.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Too early to judge right now. If Ottawa does trade Spezza and doesn't get assets that can give immediate production in return, it could very well be the case. If one of the TB youngsters can step up to help fill the hole left by MSL and if Bishop can stay healthy, there's no reason why TB can't return to the playoffs next season. They won't be a powerhouse team but considering the competition in the East, it's not like climbing Everest to squeeze back into the playoffs.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah... so much quality that they got ripped to shreds by an average Montreal squad.
    You are comical.
    Evaluating the future of a young team based on a failed first round playoff series.

That average Montreal squad got "ripped to shreds" by Ottawa last year.
    I guess that team was doomed too.

Banned

What's comical is completely dismissing Ottawa in comparison to Tampa Bay when everyone else agrees they are clearly on the upswing as well (with even more recent success than TB), with a very solid core going forward and depth at most positions.

Nobody is suggesting TB isn't going in the right direction.

Banned

Both teams are heading in the right direction.
    Neither team is anything special.
    I like TB's future more.

Banned

Probably one of the worst posts I've ever seen you make.
    Looking back at a team over the last five years might be OK if it has been the same coach & same players...
    ...but when you've got a newer team with newer coach, why go back to when they were just a sliver of that team.

There is no point, none... of looking at Tampa Bay's performance from any more than the last two years.
    They didn't have Cooper in 2011-2012. In fact, Cooper only coached 16 games even last year.
    They didn't have Tyler Johnson or Palat or Killorn or Gudas in 2011-2012. (nor did they have Filppula - a very solid signing)
    (Oh... and where were these young guys in 2011-2012?... I'll give you a hint... same place Jon Cooper was at.)

I mean... just look at TB's leading scorers from last year (or 2011-2012):
    *St.Louis (gone)
    *Stamkos
    *Purcell
    *Lecavalier (gone)
    *Conacher (gone)
    *Carle
    *Pouliot (gone)

It's not long.

And of those top nine, perhaps two (Stamkos & Purcell) were a main part of this team in 2011-2012.

Not. the. same. team.
    Not. the. same. coach.

Forget looking back to 2011-2012 and previous.
    It bears absolutely no weight (none) on evaluation of where this TB team is heading... which is up.
    And that's one of the worst replies you've ever made

Wow, someone is all aboard the hype train! Are you a Lightning fan now that the Thrashers are in Winnipeg? lol

You certainly make some good points in terms of the changing personel, coaches, mix of vets vs. prospects but ironically you've also reinforced my point while making your own. As you quoted me, I said "TB is all over the map, one year all boom, the next all bust, the team lacks consistency and discipline". How are you supposed to have a consistent team when you keep changing everything season after season? If every year there's a whole bunch of new faces, new coaches, new system? So yes, I concede that basing their future success on the last five years is unfair in terms of pure personel since so much of the roster is different now, but I feel that basing their future success off the pattern of instability and turmoil we've seen with the franchise in the last 5 years is well warranted. Make sense? Only time will tell if they have the wisdom to learn from tehir mistakes and leave most of what they have in place to develop but if this year is any indication (the whole MSL snafu) I'll choose to believe it when I see it.

Hey now! Better than average! But your point is correct, these teams were seeded 2 and 3, only a single pt sepearting them and they got absolutely dominated by Montreal. It's supposed to be much closer than that, if they were really such a quality franchise it would have gone 6 or 7 games.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Hey now! Better than average!
    Haha! I planted that one there just for you