Thread: My Jack Adams Vote (If I Had One)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default My Jack Adams Vote (If I Had One)

Already said this in another thread, but seemed like hijacking.

Personally, my 3 for Jack Adams are Claude Julien, Joel Quenneville, and Mike Babcock. We as hockey enthusiast (and the voters do as well) tend to shade to the team that performs most surprisingly in a positive way. Just saying, does it seem right that between those three coaches they have a combined 2 Jack Adams wins, which are supposed to go to the best coach? And only 1 of those (Julien) was won it with their current teams. There is something to be said about consistent greatness, and while these 3 aren't the most surprising coaches this year, I personally feel they are the 3 best coaches in the league this year.

Ranking them, I would go

1) Julien
    2) Babcock
    3) Quenneville

I don't really think it's fair or right that these guys never even get considered for the award just because they always have their teams playing well. What did the Bruins do to improve from last year? Nothing, they just dominated. Again.

Babcock managed to get his injury-riddled team and troupe of youngsters to play Detroit into the playoffs for a 23rd consecutive year. Yeah he can't surprise people because he never freaking loses. Never sees a drop off.

Quenneville has the Blackhawks as one of the highest touted favourites coming out of the west for like the 5th year straight. Dude had to lose Toews and Kane to just drop down a few spots in the Central.

By comparison, the supposed "best coach in the league" from last year, Paul MacLean, saw a massive drop off this year and didn't even make the playoffs. That doesn't happen to great coaches. Now really, how much is a travesty that Paul MacLean holds more Jack Adams trophies than Mike Babcock? That's just ******ed. Process will likely never change, but it needs to.

Banned

Default Re: My Jack Adams Vote (If I Had One)

So is Barry Trotz not a great coach? Claude Julien before he won a a Cup? Joel Quenneville before he got to Chicago? Great coaches miss the playoffs all the time, and two if those coaches have stacked teams.

Jack Adams doesn't tell you who the best overall coach us, it is just for the one year.

And two of these coaches will probably be going home in round one. They don't need awards to prove their worth though.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lets be honest, there aren't too many coaching in the NHL that aren't excellent coaches.

As Ev said, the Jack Adams award is given to the coach that did the best job that year. If that means a new guy coming in and lighting a fire under his guys and getting more out of them then the previous coach was able to do, then he should be recognized for that. I got no problem with that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

If I had a vote it would be to Calgarys coach. For a team that had really 0 all-star talents, they competed every game. They had like 40 some odd 1 goal games too. I would be tempted to vote for Roy, but he was given so much talent on his team that went a couple of years of underachieving.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    By comparison, the supposed "best coach in the league" from last year, Paul MacLean, saw a massive drop off this year and didn't even make the playoffs. That doesn't happen to great coaches. Now really, how much is a travesty that Paul MacLean holds more Jack Adams trophies than Mike Babcock? That's just ******ed. Process will likely never change, but it needs to.
    NHL coaches do not care about how many Adams trophies they own.
    And the Hockey Hall of Fame won't care how many Adams trophies they own either.
    Babcock is going to be a slam dunk HHOF guy when he is retired.

The Adams is just an award given out by the hockey broadcasters.
    And as much as I love broadcasters - they cover hockey, but that does not mean that their analysis of another man's success at his position is most correct.

In recent years, the award has simply been voted to the coach that has done the most with the talent he has had to work with.
    Typically, if a team is decimated by injuries... or a major injury... or the team is very young... the coach has a good leg up on qualification of overperforming.
    This year, Patrick Roy & Jon Cooper churned out the best results with the limited talent they had to work with.
    It would not surprise me to see Babcock get a nomination - and it shouldn't count but the Canadian Gold Medal might have some peripheral sway on getting him a few more votes.
    (I don't think Detroit was at all impressive in the first half of the NHL year, but they were in the 2nd half.)

Here is another vote for best coaches in the NHL, not based on only one season of success.
    This is the list you are looking for (I posted it in another thread a few months ago):
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=664268

I think the top 7 have been a consensus top group of coaches in the league for the past 5 years or so.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This year, Patrick Roy & Jon Cooper churned out the best results with the limited talent they had to work with.
    This is clear as day to me. Not sure how it can be disputed. Both exceeded expectations by a lot. And, not for nothing, but I'd toss Craig Berube into the mix as well. He inherited a messy situation in Philly and helped turn it around.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    This is clear as day to me. Not sure how it can be disputed. Both exceeded expectations by a lot. And, not for nothing, but I'd toss Craig Berube into the mix as well. He inherited a messy situation in Philly and helped turn it around.
    As much as I hate the Flyers, Berube did an incredible job turning that team around.

To me Jon Cooper should be the one getting the award. Sure, Roy did a lot to make the Avs the team that they were this year, but they have an incredible amount of talent and just needed the leader to unleash it. Jon Cooper took a team that lost it's best player for half the season, battled through a few other key injuries, and then had to deal with the St. Louis situation. Shouldn't be any question IMO.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Typically, if a team is decimated by injuries... or a major injury... or the team is very young... the coach has a good leg up on qualification of overperforming.
    Doesn't this mean that Blysma should be a contender every year?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Doesn't this mean that Blysma should be a contender every year?
    If you ask NBC, he is a contender every year...
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Prodigy

1) Roy
    2) Cooper

It comes down to expectations. Both these teams were miserable last year and both teams ( I think ) had the best improvements from last year to this year. So that automatically puts both at the top IMO. What coach got the most out of his team?

-The Avs have 6 players with 60+ points.
    -Varlamov has basically done a 180 on his career with 40 wins! Probably the Vezina winner to boot. You know Roy had his hands all over that improvement.
    - All his players have improved over previous seasons ( not counting the lockout year).
    - The young players have flourished, no regression.

Cooper and the Lightning have had the same type of success.
    -Give Cooper the 40 games back that Stamkos missed and they are challenging Boston for the division championship. Most teams lose their star player for 40+ games and they are done.

As for Babcock and the Wings they were a playoff team just last year so the expectation is already exists that they are a " playoff" team thus giving Babs less room to improve for lack of better wording.

I believe it comes down to Roy winning it based on most improved team and overall team /player successes from where they've been for the past several seasons.