Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Derek Stepan - where do we value this guy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Derek Stepan - where do we value this guy

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    between 05-06 and 08-09, pre-Stamkos, MSL had 326 points in 326 games

we must have entirely different definitions of elite if a ppg player is not an elite player
    I never said he wan't elite in the past. At his current age, with his new team, I no longer believe that he is capable of producing at an elite level....I'm going to predict 67 points for MSL next year.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    i suppose 'elite' is the operative term, i likely used it too liberally when describing nash. stlouis is on that elite bubble though. that being said, im looking at 60-65 with upside from stepan. not too many in the #60-90 player (78 players + up to 13 rookies kept) range with that kind of potential production.
    60-65 with some upside is accurate IMO......as long as you aren't expecting him to be an annual 70 point guy.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I never said he wan't elite in the past. At his current age, with his new team, I no longer believe that he is capable of producing at an elite level....I'm going to predict 67 points for MSL next year.
    your statement tied his elite production to Stamkos, and i was pointing out he produced before there was a Stamkos

also he was producing at an elite level in TB with Stamkos hurt most of the season

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

your statement tied his elite production to Stamkos, and i was pointing out he produced before there was a Stamkos

also he was producing at an elite level in TB with Stamkos hurt most of the season
    Yeah, I know what he's done in the past. I'm just playing a hunch based on what I've seen of MSL with the Rangers.....I just don't see him topping 70 points from here on out, he could very well prove me wrong.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah, I know what he's done in the past. I'm just playing a hunch based on what I've seen of MSL with the Rangers.....I just don't see him topping 70 points from here on out, he could very well prove me wrong.
    too much time was spent trying to make a line out of Brad Richards and MSL and it resulted in a tough time for MSL getting adjusted

he put up 9 points in the last 5 games of the regular season and is doing well enough in the postseason

rumors of his demise are premature imo

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

too much time was spent trying to make a line out of Brad Richards and MSL and it resulted in a tough time for MSL getting adjusted

he put up 9 points in the last 5 games of the regular season and is doing well enough in the postseason

rumors of his demise are premature imo
    I guess only time will tell!

Dobber Sports Star

60-65 with some upside is accurate IMO......as long as you aren't expecting him to be an annual 70 point guy.
    haha if he was an annual 70 point guy i wouldnt have to think about keeping him. i do believe ive been maintaining the '60-65 with 70 upside stance' throughout the thread, just had to decide if that was worth keeping compared to my other options. marleau/kopitar barely scraped into 70 points, stepan isnt at their level so no bubble burst at all.

i do believe that nash will perform better (49 point pace lol) and stlouis providing more than kreider did with the stepan/nash pairing. lets say im cautiously optimistic
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I am valuing Stepan at 60 pts +/- 10 for next year. If he gets 60 i will be happy, 70 ecstatic. NYR should be a playoff team next year and also won't start the season on a major road trip through west coast. He will have good linemates and hopefully someone like Nash steps up, which will only make his point total bettor.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

The Great One

One thing is certain, between St. Louis, Richards, Nash, and Stepan, only Stepan's value is trending upwards. I'm not big believers in Richards and Nash at all. I see them as 50ish pt players. St. Louis is a wildcard. I could see him flirt with 70 pts, and if he is playing the entire time with Stepan, that could elevate Stepan to that range also. Truth is, however, that I don't see St. Louis as a PPG player in New York and I think Stepan might be the better player between the two, at this stage. They might form some chemistry, but I wouldn't count on St. Louis elevating Stepan's game all that much. I think Stepan is capable of hitting 70 pts, regardless of his linemates, but (as everyone as already said) 60-65 pts is more realistic.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98