Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting married on Friday... Advise?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Getting married on Friday... Advise?

Continue to be spontaneous and romantic.
    Keep her laughing.
    Keep being there when she needs you.

Happy wife makes for a happy life !!
    12 team Full Keeper
    G,A +/- Hits,BS,SOG,ATOI,PPP,FOW,PIM,GWG,W,Saves,Save%,GAA ,SO
    C:Crosby,R.Johanson,J.Carter,Brassard,Fisher,Kadri ,Vermette
    RW:Ovechkin,Voracek,Hornquist,Niederieter,Silfverb erg
    LW:Benn,Zetterberg,Panarin,Hartnell,Ladd,Hertl
    D:Hedmen,OEL,Buff,Letang,Klingberg,Chara,Gudas,Orp ik
    G:Price,Crawford,Dubnyk,Darling,Miller

10 Team Full Keeper 29 Roster 5 Minors Full Roto
    C-Crosby,Backstrom,Kopitar,Krejci,RNH,Plekanec,
    LW-Hall,Saad,Krieder,Perron,Boedker
    RW-Okposo,Atkinson,Niederietter,Shaw
    D-Letang,Hedman,Green.Klingberg,S.Jones,Chara,Orpik
    G-Bobrovski,Lehner,Niemi,Helly,Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Legend

Congrats on the marriage.

My advice is to respect your wife. Never belittle her. Be honest with her but never allude to her being overweight or not looking good even if she asks. Compromise on everything important. Respect her parents and be kind to them at all times. Make sure she has more than equal say in selecting your home (if you're torn between two homes that you both really want, go with hers). Don't sweat the small stuff. I have friends who complain about the dumbest, most irrelevant, quirky things their wives do. To me that's foolish - and these are things that snowball into craters that eventually destroy relationships. And, the best advice I could offer is to give her a kiss every single night and tell her you love her... never sleep in separate beds in the same house... and give her a big hug each morning, telling her you love her. It sounds morbid but life is short. Unfortunately you never know what freak occurrence any random day could bring.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Here's a good one

qGVVbQX.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Congrats on the marriage.

My advice is to respect your wife. Never belittle her. Be honest with her but never allude to her being overweight or not looking good even if she asks. Compromise on everything important. Respect her parents and be kind to them at all times. Make sure she has more than equal say in selecting your home (if you're torn between two homes that you both really want, go with hers). Don't sweat the small stuff. I have friends who complain about the dumbest, most irrelevant, quirky things their wives do. To me that's foolish - and these are things that snowball into craters that eventually destroy relationships. And, the best advice I could offer is to give her a kiss every single night and tell her you love her... never sleep in separate beds in the same house... and give her a big hug each morning, telling her you love her. It sounds morbid but life is short. Unfortunately you never know what freak occurrence any random day could bring.
    Well said. That's pretty much what my old man said.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The don't be hung over on wedding day is great advice.
    You now have to fold towels and put down the toilet seat in the bathroom.
    If you have to fight - fight naked - solves problems quicker.
    Don't check your pools on your wedding day.
    Enjoy the day, and tell your bride how beautiful she looks, all day long.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Guru

Only tip I've ever given for wedding days is to prepare your speech in advance. That prevents you from getting up there and stammering and trying to remember everyone and everything (some people can do it, I can't, and I've been to weddings where other people can't but had nothing prepared).

Tip for post-wedding: Laugh. I laugh at almost everything, and my wife does too. It's a good way to keep things fun.

Second tip for post-wedding: Get involved in something one night a week for both of you to share. If she wants to play ball hockey and you play, join a rec co-ed league together. If you're both readers, join a book club. If you're both into writing, join a class somewhere about writing a book. etc etc. It gives you something that you both share together, and doing it early enough will make it a habit, which is great once kids come around.

Tip for hockey: Simple. Get her involved in a basic pool with some friends. At first, keep it simple (one-year league, no trades or waiver wire or free agents, points only). Help her choose her team. If she has the Sedins on her team, and her team is doing well, she'll want to watch those games to cheer on those players. It worked for my wife. Her first hockey pool was a playoff pool. Every night, I'd ask what she wanted to do, and all she wanted to do was stay home and watch hockey to cheer for her players.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

by no means am I old (31) but have been married for 4 years.

Congrats on your wedding bud. Enjoy the day, it will FLY by.

Don't stress over little things that might go wrong. No one will know most of the time that something went wrong, and at the end of the day (after a while) you won't care.

Don't leave your wedding early. You'll get laid either way, and its more fun to party till you drop and close up shop.

I know this is a little late, but we wished we had spent more money (that we would save from inviting less guests lol) and time (we went for 3 weeks) on our honeymoon and wish we invited less guests.

As for getting her interested in hockey. Set up a family box pool with her family. That's what I did. It worked getting her interested, and its easy money to win

Dobber Sports Genius

Whatever you do, don't allow her to watch leaf games...she will be miserable.
    In all seriousness, communication is HUGE. Spend some quality time together everyday. Meaning don't burry yourself in the computer room checking fantasy sports and working on trades while she is twiddling her thumbs in another room thinking of the pool boy. A lot of failed marriages were given up on too easily as well. When times get tough, work on it.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Deity

Also, learn these two words well..

"Yes dear".

You will say them plenty.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Praba likely has no wife...and clearly has a shitty hockey team! He's just bitter!

Lol
    i don't think you need a wife or a playoff team to understand that you have more important things to do when you're getting married in two days lol.

exchange vows and rings, make the wedding official, and then show her the darkside of your fantasy obsession haha.

but yea, don't take any of my marriage advice because i'm the guy that shows up at weddings and gets hammered and then procedes to hit on every non-relative.

Dobber Sports Expert

I live by the kiss her everynight before going to sleep, say I love and you and that good stuff. Keep her knowing in her heart that you love and care for her.

One thing people forget about relationships is how each of us communicate differently. We each have our ways of feeling loved and cared for. You've been together for 6 years so I am sure you might have it figured out. Just remember to always pay attention and actively listen. Some people feel loved and cherished by hearing I love you, or compliments; others touching, cuddling and those little things; Some women REALLY appreciate (and men too) and feel loved when their partner does chores around the house. Gifts are another one. Some people feel loved when showered with gifts, not just expensive stuff, but the little stuff in the relationship. For me, I try to do all of these things for my girl. Doing chores for her isn't how she feels loved, of course she appreciates it, but I can tell it doesn't make her feel that way. Telling her and touching are huge for her, and me as well.

I actually bought a ring a couple weeks ago for my girl and plan on proposing at the end of May. I am on the same trail as you, congrats on the wedding, and I can't wait to start my life with her.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Also, learn these two words well..

"Yes dear".

You will say them plenty.
    I used that joke when I was the MC at a wedding.

For every guy, who gets married, there's only four two-word phrases you need to know for a happy life:

• Yes, dear
    • You're right
    • I'm wrong
    • I'm sorry.

And there's one two-word phrase that will always start a fight: "What's wrong?"

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Quote Originally Posted by Gaborlick View Post
    I live by the kiss her everynight before going to sleep, say I love and you and that good stuff. Keep her knowing in her heart that you love and care for her.

One thing people forget about relationships is how each of us communicate differently. We each have our ways of feeling loved and cared for. You've been together for 6 years so I am sure you might have it figured out. Just remember to always pay attention and actively listen. Some people feel loved and cherished by hearing I love you, or compliments; others touching, cuddling and those little things; Some women REALLY appreciate (and men too) and feel loved when their partner does chores around the house. Gifts are another one. Some people feel loved when showered with gifts, not just expensive stuff, but the little stuff in the relationship. For me, I try to do all of these things for my girl. Doing chores for her isn't how she feels loved, of course she appreciates it, but I can tell it doesn't make her feel that way. Telling her and touching are huge for her, and me as well.

I actually bought a ring a couple weeks ago for my girl and plan on proposing at the end of May. I am on the same trail as you, congrats on the wedding, and I can't wait to start my life with her.
    Congrats and thanks!
    I probably carried her ring around for 3-4 weeks before I finally asked her. I can tell you that when she says "YES!" it is one of the greatest moments of your life!

Dobber Sports Ace

Congratulations for this new and exciting chapter in your life.

Pretty good advice from everyone. Havanablast has it pretty spot on! A couple of things I would add -

DO.....enjoy each other's company. Pretend as if you are still dating (many women complain about men losing interest after marriage)
    DO NOT.....forget to have fun together doing things you enjoy
    DO.....take some interest in her hobbies, even if they don't enthuse you
    DO NOT.....argue about who snores at night. You will not win that one!!!
    DO.....help with chores
    DO NOT.....go to bed / sleep angry. Talk it over if something bothers either of you (as Havana said - keep the communication lines open)

Probably, two of the most important things to remember:
    DO.....get used to thinking about life as a couple, as a family
    DO.....get used to having another person in your personal space

Being married changes one's lifestyle in the most unexpected ways - all of a sudden, you will find you are doing and experiencing things you never had, thinking about things you never thought about. Enjoying the new experience together is key.

All the best, bud.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer