Thread: Is Tyson Barrie a Better Option than Erik Karlsson?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Is Tyson Barrie a Better Option than Erik Karlsson?

Finished this article before the game last night, must have jinxed the kid. Either way, who would you rather have on your team?

http://thehockeywriters.com/player-c...erik-karlsson/

Banned

Default Re: Is Tyson Barrie a Better Option than Erik Karlsson?

without reading the article, and with no hesitation, I'll take Karlsson.. 100 out of a 100 times

Banned

now I read the article, and altho I appreciate the opening of the eyes since I didn't know his stats were this good. I still take Karlsson.

Karlsson is Crosby of D (and not the one hit wonder mike green was)

Dobber Sports Padawan

People might take this the wrong way lol, note to everyone: read before commenting. I still would prefer the generational talent on the backend who can dominate games at times even if he is more expensive. I don't think Barrie will ever be a consistent 65+ point threat even if he got Karlsson ice time. It takes a special talent to score those points against opposing teams top pairings. Can't forget that Karlsson pretty much drives their offence, I don't think Barrie could do that in Ott.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

That's a pretty terrible article.
    I just finished reading the whole thing... twice.

Simply content & fluff, based around the (questionably impressive?!?) fact that Barrie had a very high points-per-minute production this season.

ESPN also has a stat for this called "PROD".
    And though Karlsson's PROD was around 30:00... and Barrie's PROD was around 31:13... you can also start talking about Krug's PROD at 34:34... or Gelinas at 35:00.
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...semen/count/41

Or you could go back to last season when Cody Franson's PROD of 29:09 was BETTER than Erik Karlsson's PROD of 32:58.

Or go back to 2011-2012, when Karlsson was at a PROD of 26:17 and Marc-Andre Bergeron was posting a PROD of 34:40.

Several people have already posted recently that COL had above average SH% numbers and PDO.
    A few bounces went their way this year.

Barrie's a nice defenseman... but this article is mostly a bold-fluff hinging itself on "shock value" to bring you attention.

I give this piece a big, big thumbs down, way down.

Too many really, really silly things in the article:
    It would benefit the Ottawa Senators to limit Karlsson’s ice time and make him more of a specialty player, even though it will take a hit to his point totals.

And next time you want to cite something as "most ice-time he was given this year"... you may also want to asterik that with this:
    *in a playoff-game that was longer in total time, due to playoff OT, than any regular season game can possibly be.

Why not just use a more appropriate title like "Is Tyson Barrie on the brink of being an NHL All-Star Defenseman?"
    That would get the job done & be credible, at least.

Meh.

Banned

hey Dobber, I don't think Pengwin got the memo

Pengwin, just so you know, only praise is permitted here...please take your damn logic and numbers elsewhere

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    hey Dobber, I don't think Pengwin got the memo

Pengwin, just so you know, only praise is permitted here...please take your damn logic and numbers elsewhere
    Not true. Criticism is fine on each article. Criticism across the board ("columns are 99% crappy", etc) is unfair, but still fine.

Criticism across the board repeated in every thread when we got the point five threads ago - is what we call a "double post". We delete or merge double-posts, as you know. And the relentless repeating of your THW mantra I consider a quintuple post, let alone a double post. You said your piece and it was allowed - as all non-repeated posts here are allowed
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Uh oh... what did I do?

I've enjoyed/liked somewhere around 25%-50% of the THW articles that I've read.
    They've got some solid writers and a GREAT passion for writing!!!

I think everybody on this site knows I'm pretty honest with both my praise/criticism.
    A writer has to accept & deal with criticism to get better at their profession.
    It is possibly the most critical breaking-point for a young writer - whether they can get past criticism and use it to grow.

(...seems like there's something deeper here though that I'm not catching... apologize if I said something wrong...)
    (oh... and this article... had some good stuff... just need to ditch all-parts "Karlsson" and focus only on Barrie... could've been a winner...)

Dobber Sports Master

I agree with Pengwin's assessment of the article, and think that it was a bit fluffy. Barrie's career is just getting started, and to make the assumption that he'll continue to skyrocket upward to become a consistent 65+ point producer seems a bit much. Case in point: In 1988-89, Trevor Linden, then in his rookie year, scored 59 points ( 30G, 29A ) in 80 games played. Two years later (1990-91), Linden had 70 points in 80 games. A improvement over his rookie season output. That same year, Ken Hodge Jr., then a rookie, scored 59 points (identical 30G, 29A) but he did it in 70 games. By the article's logic, wouldn't that mean that Hodge should have outscored Linden by the time his second year rolled around. Hodge never scored that many points again. In fact two years after his rookie season, he scored a whopping 7 points in 25 games before being demoted to the minors.

Point!!!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Superstar

As of right now I would take Karlsson 10/10 times, even before injury, but I do like Barrie as I picked him up in trade cheap - just after xmas. Hope this injury doesn't slow him down for next season. won't be able to get Karlsson without overpaying.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Banned

Is a Broccoli & Rice Cake Sandwich better than Toasted Meatball Sub?

DISCUSS!

Dobber Sports Master

How dare you bring food into this conversation...Toasted Meatball Sub ALL DAY LONG!!!!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Stud

Pretty bold. Karlsson is a special kind of player. Once he first broke out, I think maclean really built a team system around him, so that he could flourish.

I dunno his offensive instinct is hard to find elsewhere, and as defencemen are pretty finicky, at least the high end ones, I think Karlsson will be a consistent player.

No way I pass on Karlsson, for Barrie instead. Maybe worth watching Barrie though, as a potential new offensive threat in the league, but not Karlsson-esque
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot