Thread: 10 players who need a change of scenery

I...am your father.

Default 10 players who need a change of scenery

From Tom Collins today:

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...nge-of-scenery

Here's a snippet...

10. Brett Connolly
    This off-season will go a long way to determining where Connolly sits with the Tampa Bay Lightning. After a subpar rookie season in 2011-12, Connolly started the next season in the minors and excelled. He put up 31 goals and 63 points in 71 games for the Syracuse Crunch, which was enough for Connolly to be recalled for five games. Last season was more time in Syracuse, where again he excelled, with 57 points in 66 games. However, with all the success of the Tampa Bay youth in the last two years —Ondrej Palat, Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, Nikita Kucherov, and Jonathan Drouin *in juniors— it seems as if there is no room on the roster in Tampa for Connolly.

9. James Reimer
    Sometimes a player’s career can be derailed simply by a move made by the team to bring in someone new. That’s what happened with Reimer. After getting the Leafs into the playoffs and Game 7 overtime in 2013, Dave Nonis decided to bring in Jonathan Bernier. Reimer still played well for most of the season, but he began to unravel shortly after Randy Carlyle decided to not publically support him. It seems clear that Carlyle has lost faith in Reimer, so he desperately needs a fresh chance somewhere else to rejuvenate his career.

8. Zach Bogosian
    It must be tough for Jets fans to look at the 2008 draft and realize how close their team was to having a superstar. Bogosian was the third overall pick that year, sandwiched between Drew Doughty and Alex Pieterangelo. Bogosian has failed to live up to the hype of his fellow draftees. While he looked promising for a while — with 30 points three years ago — he has quickly fallen down the Jets depth chart. This season, Bogosian put up just 11 points in 55 games. Could a new team be enough to turn his career around?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: 10 players who need a change of scenery

I'm surprised Reimer wasn't higher on the list to be honest

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd love to see the Oilers somehow wrangle Bogosian from Winnipeg.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sam Gagner anyone?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Sam Gagner anyone?
    Makes way too much sense for it to ever happen
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Monster

Reimer will be in Calgary. I like Ramo / Reimer tandum.

I...am your father.

I'd love to see Reimer with the Islanders. I think he's flourish here, and with JT still on the rise - they'll be back in the playoffs
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd like to see Holtby go to Winnipeg. I like him a lot but the one reservation I've had about him is that he plays for the Caps. I'd be very interested to see what he could do on another team.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    I'd like to see Holtby go to Winnipeg. I like him a lot but the one reservation I've had about him is that he plays for the Caps. I'd be very interested to see what he could do on another team.
    I'm pretty sure you don't want that team to be Winnipeg

Dobber Sports Deity

As I said in the article comments, I dont think Myers or Larsson need a change of scenery.

Myers gets tons of ice time in Buffalo so I don't know what a change of scenery is going to change for him. He really hasn't played well since winning the Calder. Granted, he did seem to improve his game play the 2nd half of this season but up to that point, he really looked like a mediocre defenceman out there. Lost, making bad plays, easily knocked off the puck. If not for his big ass contract and Calder trophy, he really could have used some time in the AHL to find his game but that didn't happen. A change of scenery is not going to improve his sloppy play.

Similar issues for Larsson. His situation wasn't a bad one. If anything, there were plenty of opportunities in NJ for Larsson to succeed. Injuries and inexperience is his downfall right now. He was rushed to the league and simply wasn't good enough to fit in, yet. Like a lot of young D, he really wasn't ready for the speed of the game and some time in the AHL is exactly what the Dr. ordered for him. A new organization won't help him, time will. He needs time to adjust and gain experience before he will catch up to his lofty expectations.

One player I put in there that I thought COULD use a change of scenery was Mark Arcobello. At the start of the season when Gagner went down with his broken jaw, Arco came into the #2 center spot and played outstanding. After Gagner was ready to come back, Arco got pushed down the lineup and was an after-thought. After going to the AHL he lit that league up. Mark Arcobello is a player who could use a change of scenery and has already shown he is capable and ready to play in a scoring center situation in my opinion.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Grigorenko and Yakupov shouldn't be on the list. They were drafted TWO years ago. If a player drafted two years ago needs a change of scenery, it's his own fault. They don't need a change of scenery.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Grigorenko and Yakupov shouldn't be on the list. They were drafted TWO years ago. If a player drafted two years ago needs a change of scenery, it's his own fault. They don't need a change of scenery.
    the same thing can be said about calling them busts. 2 years is nothing, i'd easily take yakupov on my team, just need to find someone who can set him straight.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for the feedback.

For most of the young guys, I feel that when they are mismanaged by an organization, for whatever reason (ie - rushing a player before he was ready, dressing him but not giving him ice time, playing a skill guy on the fourth line with goons, etc.) there may be bitterness that develops (like Turris in Phoenix, Niederreiter in New York) and a fresh change is the best thing for all parties. For example, I can't see Yakupov getting more ice time under Eakins, or being put in a situation where he can succeed. But in another organization, there would be a better chance.

As for Arcobello, I don't know really where he could go where he would be in the same situation he was when Gagner was injured. Truthfully, I don't know of many teams that would play him 18 to 20 minutes a night. I could see someone getting Yakupov and putting him on the first/second line. I could see someone trading for Bogosian and giving him more powerplay time. I'm not sure if a new team for Arcobello really changes his situation and makes it better.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I thought it was a very good list!
    Well done.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Really liked the article, hard to disagree with any of the guys you mentioned. As an Oiler fan I love seeing several young, high-upside D-men on that list.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR