Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooke back at it

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Cooke back at it

They just said Barrie is out 4-6 weeks...........

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Not trying to defend Cooke here, but I used to do that all the time when I played, and I truthfully wasn't ever trying to hurt anybody. Kneeing can look really malicious (and in some cases I'm sure it is), but in my case it was just a combination of poor positioning, poor timing and desperation. You plan on hitting a guy, he shifts out of your way, and out comes to knee to slow him up. With me at least, is was almost like I thought I could quickly turn with the guy to keep up with him/hit him, but it ends up being a chicken-wing-esque knee on knee. Never a smart play to make, but I can sympathize with the lesser players who sometimes do it out of desperation. It looks like Cooke initially had his shoulder loaded and was planning a hit, but obviously it didn't end up that way and the knee came out.

All of that said, of course Cooke has a history that has to be taken into account.
    I played a physical brand of 'AA' hockey for my entire contact-hockey career, and can honesty say that I never once laid a knee-destroying hit like that. Completely unnecessary and avoidable.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

..any chance this helps Melnyk's 'case' in Karlsson v Cooke?
    2012-2013 Beermargs (Points only) CHAMP
    2013-2014 Pucks, Picks & Points (Yahoo H2H) CHAMP
    2016-2017 Beermargs (Points only) CHAMP
    2019-2020 Pucks Picks and Points (Yahoo H2H) CHAMP*

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yet you'll waste the time to tell us all about it...fascinating
    I'm a slow type'r - probably took me 45 seconds to write that.
    And yes, sometimes wasting time expressing how much you hate something is worth it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Get Melynk on the phone!
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Monster

Sick and tired of this type of activty. The playoffs are a wonderful kind of intensity and drive to win. I am sick and tired of seeing goonery! I saw someone in an earlier post actually try and kind of defend Cooke? Are you f*king kiddin' me? Cooke is not a good enough of a player and skater to try and tactfully take a player off the puck. He only knows 2 things in the NHL Stupidity and thuggery. That's all.

Dobber Sports Monster

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 3m

Matt Cooke has been offered an in-person hearing for his knee on Tyson Barrie. That means he could be suspended longer than six games.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Sick and tired of this type of activty. The playoffs are a wonderful kind of intensity and drive to win. I am sick and tired of seeing goonery! I saw someone in an earlier post actually try and kind of defend Cooke? Are you f*king kiddin' me? Cooke is not a good enough of a player and skater to try and tactfully take a player off the puck. He only knows 2 things in the NHL Stupidity and thuggery. That's all.
    Completely false. No GM would pay $2.5m for a player who only knows "stupidity and thuggery." There are guys like Sestito out there for much less that could bring that stuff to the table. Cooke is a valuable contributor to a team. He kills penalties and he's a solid 3rd line checker. Just because he makes the occasional dirty hit doesn't mean that's all he does.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Superstar

Should be 20 games - repeat offender. Wonder what Eugene has to say?
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Completely false. No GM would pay $2.5m for a player who only knows "stupidity and thuggery." There are guys like Sestito out there for much less that could bring that stuff to the table. Cooke is a valuable contributor to a team. He kills penalties and he's a solid 3rd line checker. Just because he makes the occasional dirty hit doesn't mean that's all he does.
    Good post letangerang58. I agree with you. That said, Cooke is likely going to pay a heavy price with his past indiscretions weighing heavily on his upcoming meeting with the NHL. I think 20+ games is the likely outcome. You can't lead with your knee and not expect a bad outcome. Seriously.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

You know what they say about once you get a taste for young offensive defencemen
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Initiate

Shit Cookie. What a shame. When you legally changed your name to Meta World Peace I thought FOR SURE you'd been fully reformed.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This is what's too bad about Cooke, especially after he seemingly turned his game around the last few years.....he's really not a bad hockey player. He's a great player to have on a 3rd line and I'm sure if you take away the stupid shit he always finds himself in the middle of, every team in the league would want him.

Alas, this might be it for Cooke. He's getting up there in age, and after what's sure to be a major suspension he just might not get another chance.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Brutal...Cooke is a piece of trash, huge loss for the Avs, they are already suspect on defense to begin with and Barrie was playing lights out this series, they are going to have a tough time without him.

Given Cooke's history, anything less then 25 games is a joke, in a perfect world I'd like to see a permanent suspension.

Dobber Sports Guru

I like the fact that Roy came right out and said how long Barrie is out for. None of this "lower body injury day-to-day" stuff. He wants the league to know right away that his guy is out for pretty much the rest of the playoffs, and I'm guessing he did it knowing it's going to lead to a longer suspension.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid