Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cooke back at it

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Cooke back at it

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Did I miss something. Sandstorm got cross checked in the face for no reason. I was waiting for someone to go after Brown.
    Sandstrom had history and in that game speared a Flyer and hit another from behind. On that play, when Hextall froze the puck, Sandstrom slashed at his hand... so Brown had enough and tried to snap his neck. Sandstrom was nearly as cheap as Cooke but with a lot more talent. Oh, and the Rangers had nobody that could handle Brown. Dave Brown was a monster.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Messier is the 2nd leading scorer in NHL history - he played the game nasty but his primary focus was to produce points. Matt Cooke is a rat with close to zero NHL talent - his ONLY purpose is to target the opposition, agitate and deliver dirty and illegal hits that injure players with 100x more talent than him. Messier also stood his ground in an era of hockey where players were physically accountable for their actions. Cooke has made a career of "headhunting" during a passive-aggressive era where the league attempts to "police" the league and continually fails miserably. There is nothing to compare here. If we want to compare players of yesteryear to Cooke we need to look at the Sandstroms, Linsemans, Samuelssons, Marchments, etc. And even they had more talent and purpose than Cooke.
    I don't want what I'm about to type to be taken out of context. I'm not disputing the fact that Cooke is a despicable hockey player at all. I think he's the type of player that is a black mark on the game, but to say he has almost zero NHL talent is pushing it a little far. He's a very good bottom-six forward when he's not trying to kill other players. He usually scores at around 0.4 PPG, and averages 14:00 of ice time -- this isn't John Scott we're talking about. In fact, I think that's exactly the reason Cooke has been able to stick and make it a career for so long -- because teams can always use good depth forwards like him, and they keep hoping that maybe he'll smarten up sooner or later. Looks like that's not ever happening though. I think whoever said this is probably the end of the line for Cooke is right.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Banned

Oh, and the Rangers had nobody that could handle Brown. Dave Brown was a monster.
    The Rangers? How bout pretty much every other team in the league at that point -lol
    Man he was an absolute beast, huge, mean and absolutely fearless...how much cooler would the league be if we could replace the Cooke's of our era with the puglists of old?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    I don't want what I'm about to type to be taken out of context. I'm not disputing the fact that Cooke is a despicable hockey player at all. I think he's the type of player that is a black mark on the game, but to say he has almost zero NHL talent is pushing it a little far. He's a very good bottom-six forward when he's not trying to kill other players. He usually scores at around 0.4 PPG, and averages 14:00 of ice time -- this isn't John Scott we're talking about. In fact, I think that's exactly the reason Cooke has been able to stick and make it a career for so long -- because teams can always use good depth forwards like him, and they keep hoping that maybe he'll smarten up sooner or later. Looks like that's not ever happening though. I think whoever said this is probably the end of the line for Cooke is right.
    Point taken. I shouldn't say ZERO talent - he is serviceable but definitely not a player that warrants a roster spot considering his history. There are many players who can fill his role who play the game clean and straight up. Scott is just completely worthless - Cooke has more talent than him.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    how much cooler would the league be if we could replace the Cooke's with puglists?
    Don't get me started Mcgoo lol. The all-time best era of hockey was 1983-1993 - the game had it all. I remember the Probert vs. Domi rematch at the Garden and the fight was pretty much marketed a week leading up to the game. The entire arena was on their feet. Those were the days.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Messier is the 2nd leading scorer in NHL history - he played the game nasty but his primary focus was to produce points. Matt Cooke is a rat with close to zero NHL talent - his ONLY purpose is to target the opposition, agitate and deliver dirty and illegal hits that injure players with 100x more talent than him. Messier also stood his ground in an era of hockey where players were physically accountable for their actions. Cooke has made a career of "headhunting" during a passive-aggressive era where the league attempts to "police" the league and continually fails miserably. There is nothing to compare here. If we want to compare players of yesteryear to Cooke we need to look at the Sandstroms, Linsemans, Samuelssons, Marchments, etc. And even they had more talent and purpose than Cooke.
    That's my point. We overlook the suspect behavior of the talented. Hell, we'll hang their jersey from the rafters. Oh...we'll feign concern to a point (ala Chara's hit on Pax).

But ultimately it's the 3rd and 4th liners we burn in effigy. Right or wrong.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    That's my point. We overlook the suspect behavior of the talented. Hell, we'll hang their jersey from the rafters. Oh...we'll feign concern to a point (ala Chara's hit on Pax).

wow dude, that's deep, really really deep

brb, I gotta fetch my wading boots

wow dude, that's deep, really really deep

brb, I gotta fetch my wading boots
    lol...anything for that 17k congrats thread, eh?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Messier was my favorite player for many years but I think I would despise him as a fan now. The game has changed a lot, and so has my own views on it.

Banned

Duncan Keith is one of the dirtiest rats in the league... like Cooke, he is one of the few NHL'ers who makes cheap, dirty plays withthe intent to injure people. Dustin Brown is another...

Keith has a few cups though, he wears the Maple. leaf when called upon and most people don't pay enough attention or their memories are short.... always surprises me that he doesn't have a more deserving reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Messier was my favorite player for many years but I think I would despise him as a fan now. The game has changed a lot, and so has my own views on it.
    I don't disagree with you at al, doulos. But the NHLPA is equally as culpable in allowing these hits to go minimally punished as Bettman and the owners.

Players know if they allow for a 20 game suspension on a first time offense it could easily be one of them sans a paycheck, and the owners don't want to risk losing one of their 1st or 2nd line stars to such an extent.

Until that changes....we all sit here puffing our chests out at Cooke cuz it makes us feel good.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

Pronger is a great example of this. He stomped on a guy's foot, would give guys concussions with elbows, kicked, slashed guys hard enough to get suspended for it, etc. He intentionally hurt guys way more than Cooke ever did. In fact, he was suspended eight times in his career. But because he was a winner, he's not considered to be on par with Cooke's level.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

Until that changes....we all sit here puffing our chests out at Cooke cuz it makes us feel good.
    or alternately at players who've been out of the league for over a decade if you happen a complete imbecile...

Dobber Sports Master

I don't disagree with you at al, doulos. But the NHLPA is equally as culpable in allowing these hits to go minimally punished as Bettman and the owners.

Players know if they allow for a 20 game suspension on a first time offense it could easily be one of them sans a paycheck, and the owners don't want to risk losing one of their 1st or 2nd line stars to such an extent.

I would say it depends on which players you are talking about that would be looking at those 20 gamers... I guarantee you it's mostly not the kind we want in the game.

And I would punch Cooke in the face if I met him, nevermind talking tough behind a keyboard. I hate that idiot. I play hockey and soccer with morons like that all the time and let me tell ya I let them know what I think of their moral compasses, decision making ability and intellectual quotient and I don't care if it never changes for them or any other goons like them, but on my watch they'll have heard me and I I'll have made my point.

Hit Cooke with a bus. I've had it. His "talent" is not worth this shit.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

or alternately at players who've been out of the league for over a decade if you happen a complete imbecile...
    Or at random folks over the Internet if we need a stress release...
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg